• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Didnt know how many people knew this

Brokenbad

I know that South Carolina was the site of the largest NFL exhibition game ever held at that time, during the time the Richardsons were seeking the franchise, and other games and activities were held in South Carolina to show the NFL the support the two-state region could be for the team. It was absolutely crucial to the NFL's decision to award the franchise to the Richardsons for the Carolinas. I know, because I was here and I lived it.

Right On! Fighting arrogant ignorance is tough work.

The fact is that the Charlotte Panthers would never have been accepted by the NFL for a franchise, it just wouldn't. Jerry Richardson had the foresight to know that his only chance was to market the team as a "regional" team and since he has ties to SC from going to college in Spartanburg, it only made sense. Without SC, NC would never have gotten a team.

/end thread

Nor will any amount of ranting change the fact that the Panthers are as close to South Carolina's team as they are to Georgia's team in terms of proximity. Listen, the team is located in Charlotte. Do you claim the Bobcats too? How about naming South Carolina "The Queen State".

The Panthers sit on North Carolina property, they are a North Carolina team. I'm sorry if that offends the vision in your head that this team sat directly on the border, but it doesn't. There are no two state teams in football. You belong to the state in which you're located. Just because you fall victim to the genius marketing that JR tapped into with the whole, "it's yours too SC!", type thing doesn't mean it's the truth. And it's perfectly fine to not live in the state represented by your professional team. AK lives in Alaska for crying out loud.

Oh yeah? What about Carowinds!!!!!!!!

I could actually not care less. I live in SC and it takes me 15 minutes to get to the stadium. Why does this even matter?

Do you have a link? I seriously seriously doubt there's tons of people in Columbia, Charleston and (are there other towns?) that support the Panthers

It is Charlotte's team and Charlotte supports it so if you choose to be a fan thats Great! It is Carolina's team. Just don't get too carried away with shouts "You wouldnt have a team without Rock Hill!!!" lol

You would be suprised the Charleston area has a ton of Panther fans and to see proof all you need to do is find the TV ratings in Charleston during the Panther games.

On a related note, to my knowledge, hilton head island, sc still doesn't get panther games on TV. :(

Falcons. And it's not like it's a georgia station. Hilton Head's fox affiliate is in Hardeeville, SC.

Archived