• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

nakamura not in the mix...florence a favorite?

No, if Florence is starting for us week 1 that means hes won the job and has something left in the tank (which I think he does) people just don't fugging get how good our pass rush and run defense is going to be.

Like others have stated before, Packers when they won the SB had won of the worst pass defenses ever. Same with New England. If you don't have a stud secondary that doesn't mean you cant have a stud team.

Bucs have a lot better secondary than us, but I sure as fug bet we win more games this season

Josh Thomas and Captain are both better than Florence.

If panther fans had their way we'd have an "ole school" team that tries to "grind out" games and steal close wins and a secondary that can't stop the opposing team from using all of about maybe a minute to completely negate our 7 minute drive

Who wants to raise their hand and answer what happens when you try to sneak a close win against a team that can travel 99 yards in a few plays and beat your "ole school" team.

Surely you people see why this methodology isn't sustainable.

As an aside, i should mention how this shows to be a successful run oriented team in today's NFL you have to be dominant in literally every other phase of the game whereas the pass can influence every other aspect of the game instead of having every other aspect influence it.

Here is the bottom line.

1. With the cap hell that Hurney left, we were and still are very limited with what could happen in FA

2. Without a 3rd round pick, the first two picks were really the only place we were going to draft someone better than the young guys we currently have in the seconday....another 5th-6th round guy would not upgrade what we have.

3. With the way that the draft fell, Star and KK were absolutely the BPA and fit a HUGE need

4. A nasty pass rush will help our secondary significantly more than adding another late round guy to the mix

I for one am waiting to see how this unit performs on the field before makign any judgements.

BPA is cloudy...I think grabbing short was more if a precaution to ensure our DT spot improved. Draft one DT and you hope you improved but the bust rate is high....2 increases your odds you just gained talent to trend upwards.

4. We had the best pass rush last year....and QBs completed a higher percentage against is than any team. So talent simply has to improve

Here is the bottom line.

1.  With the cap hell that Hurney left, we were and still are very limited with what could happen in FA

2.  Without a 3rd round pick, the first two picks were really the only place we were going to draft someone better than the young guys we currently have in the seconday....another 5th-6th round guy would not upgrade what we have.

3.  With the way that the draft fell, Star and KK were absolutely the BPA and fit a HUGE need

4.  A nasty pass rush will help our secondary significantly more than adding another late round guy to the mix

I for one am waiting to see how this unit performs on the field before makign any judgements. 

Great post man.  Our board is littered with people who really think we cannot compete because we didn't use a pick on a corner.  Gettleman said we didn't have a need, but Kiper said we did.  So on the Huddle, we were gonna die without a drafting a DB.  This is just like the draft pundits who gave us a bad grade.  Posters really believe that because we didn't draft some DB whose name they recognize or watched on Youtube, our GM should be fired.  We had no cap space and still brought in some competition.  We have talent on the roster and we will be fine.  I bet so many of these dudes are the guys who turn the cap off and put all the stars on one team on madden.

DJ is the only secondary player that can tackle in the open field, we need that guy at SS. there is no such thing as a nickel SS.

I said I mistaked Campbell for Moore.

And never say never. It will when it Happen. You can have a safety that plays like a nickle. Texas utilize Vaccaro that way at Texas. Don't be surprise if the Saints uses him that same way with Harper and Jenkins deep back.

And never say never. It will when it Happen. You can have a safety that plays like a nickle. Texas utilize Vaccaro that way at Texas. Don't be surprise if the Saints uses him that same way with Harper and Jenkins deep back.

I mean, in a nickel defense you swap out a LB for a DB. I guess the SS could come down and fill that role but that would defeat the purpose of the SS's assignment, and a waste of a matchup.

No, if Florence is starting for us week 1 that means hes won the job and has something left in the tank (which I think he does) people just don't fugging get how good our pass rush and run defense is going to be.

Like others have stated before, Packers when they won the SB had won of the worst pass defenses ever. Same with New England. If you don't have a stud secondary that doesn't mean you cant have a stud team.

Bucs have a lot better secondary than us, but I sure as fug bet we win more games this season

Their opponents had a 56 completion %, 3100 yards, 16 TDs, and 24 INTs. Pretty sure you're confusing the years.

Whoops. Meant to give you +rep. My bad

lol don't worry about it.

for some reason i checked it a couple days ago just out of curiousity and there was a lot there. not sure what good it does, but there's a lot of it.

btw, i noticed that someone neg reps me every chance they get. not sure what i did to piss in their cheerios but i'm sure it was their fault for having their cheerios so close to where i pee.

BPA is cloudy...I think grabbing short was more if a precaution to ensure our DT spot improved. Draft one DT and you hope you improved but the bust rate is high....2 increases your odds you just gained talent to trend upwards.

4. We had the best pass rush last year....and QBs completed a higher percentage against is than any team. So talent simply has to improve

I believe that Gettleman saw development in the young guys on our roster last season.  I expect we will go into camp with what we have and let the true evaluation occur then.  If he is happy with what he sees with the young guys development, we will go into the season with them.  He could very easily add a vet guy i fhe does not like what he sees.

yeah, you can have CB, S, LB...crap, you could even drop a DE back into coverage and call him the nickel. it's just a extra person you drop back into coverage to give you 5 in coverage rather than 4 to cover additional receivers.

we've used LBs quite a bit over the years in nickel packages and we aren't rare in that.

Archived