• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would be we better off without DeAngelo?

Catalyst

He wasn't explosive last year when not playing the Saints...

You could argue his carries, while not all his fault, stalled our offense often.

There are probably stats to dispute this, but I thought DW looked pretty explosive in the 2nd half of the year. You have to remember, our OL was awful last year and the read option reall isn't DWs kind of offense.

There are probably stats to dispute this, but I thought DW looked pretty explosive in the 2nd half of the year. You have to remember, our OL was awful last year and the read option reall isn't DWs kind of offense.

There aren't.

If you look at his games against non Saint teams....his ypc was worse than Stewart and he averaged less big runs of 20 plus yards than Stewart....

He had a screen pass he took to the house and then beat up the Saints....then people ignored how unimpressive he was. Again, some of that was the OL....some was him getting older and just not fitting what we asked

I wish I could post all the games from my DVR so that you all could see them.   Being bored and working from home I have rewatched them all.

The first 7 games of the year I think our O-line was the worst in football.   Our guard play was so bad it's amazing, no spectacularly amazing that we were able to do anything offensively.  Silatolu was a turnstyle, and whomever was playing RG was like those paper banners you burst through at football games. Gross looked like he didn't even care games 4-6.  Bell remarkably was the only one that didn't completely suck.  That's not saying he was good, but it's just a comparison to others on the line. I won't even mention center play. Cam's ability to escape and the delay cause by the read option masked so much of our deficiencies on the line its not even funny. Games 8-10 saw improvement and games 11-16 were much better because they at least pretended to block. 

That being said, everyone is acting like their were holes for the running back to go through?  There were none.  On run plays the only person consistently blowing people off the line were Bell and occasionally Silatolu(only run plays).  We could not consistently or even effectively run the ball because we couldn't block.  Anyone who has games saved on DVR, please look at our run plays and honestly evaluate how could any running back gain yards.

Ironically, we started running the ball a lot better after Stewart went out and DeAngelo got the lion's share of carries.

We reduced the read option plays considerably rather than running it every 3rd play it was every 6th to 8th play....we  also and started running a more traditional running style.....that helped a bit.

Cap wise yes. On Sundays no.

it all depends on who we used that cap savings on. we'd absolutely be better on sundays with a better RT, DB, and/or WR than who we have and the loss of williams would be easily compensated for on the field.

we can gain more talent and balance by letting him go than we do in keeping him around.

it all depends on who we used that cap savings on. we'd absolutely be better on sundays with a better RT, DB, and/or WR than who we have and the loss of williams would be easily compensated for on the field.

we can gain more talent and balance by letting him go than we do in keeping him around.

I don't think we are as unbalanced on offense as you do.

I think Lafell is a legit #2 receiver.  I think between Hixon, Ginn, Pilares, Adams, we have a lot of talent to compete for the #3 spot.  I think that Olsen has also been a pretty good defacto #3 receiver because he has the ability to line up in the slot.

I think our offensive line could be better, but it fine and will be even better with Kalil helping Cam Newton with protections.  The pressure on Cam wasn't always about the O-line and Cam said as much when he said time and again he needed to get rid of the ball quicker.

I also think our secondary is better than people are giving them credit for and Florence will add some veteran leadership there.

D-Will is one of our most explosive players.  He was perhaps our best offensive position player down the stretch once Stewart went down.

I think he is under appreciated by our fanbase because of his contract, which wasn't his fault.

I just don't believe with the free agents that are left that we could get anyone at any position that will compensate for the loss of D-Will's value to this offense.

I don't think we are as unbalanced on offense as you do.

I think Lafell is a legit #2 receiver.  I think between Hixon, Ginn, Pilares, Adams, we have a lot of talent to compete for the #3 spot.  I think that Olsen has also been a pretty good defacto #3 receiver because he has the ability to line up in the slot.

I think our offensive line could be better, but it fine and will be even better with Kalil helping Cam Newton with protections.  The pressure on Cam wasn't always about the O-line and Cam said as much when he said time and again he needed to get rid of the ball quicker.

I also think our secondary is better than people are giving them credit for and Florence will add some veteran leadership there.

D-Will is one of our most explosive players.  He was perhaps our best offensive position player down the stretch once Stewart went down.

I think he is under appreciated by our fanbase because of his contract, which wasn't his fault.

I just don't believe with the free agents that are left that we could get anyone at any position that will compensate for the loss of D-Will's value to this offense.

i think the offense is a lot more heavily weighted towards the run game than the passing game. the WR corps is very weak when compared to the level of talent at RB...unnecessarily so. it's overkill on the RBs. if we had been anywhere near as committed to making the WR corps good as we were the RBs we'd be winning games instead of trying to find out how we can win and making excuses for not winning.

i think the offense is a lot more heavily weighted towards the run game than the passing game. the WR corps is very weak when compared to the level of talent at RB...unnecessarily so. it's overkill on the RBs. if we had been anywhere near as committed to making the WR corps good as we were the RBs we'd be winning games instead of trying to find out how we can win and making excuses for not winning.

ding ding ding.

Question shouldn't be why aren't we running RBs all game and getting our monies worth....should be why are we retardedly stacking our roster instead of investing into positions that suit what we want to do w/ Cam

ding ding ding.

Question shouldn't be why aren't we running RBs all game and getting our monies worth....should be why are we retardedly stacking our roster instead of investing into positions that suit what we want to do w/ Cam

agreed, but i do think i like the additions of tolbert and barner the last couple years because it will make moving on from the higher priced williams and/or stewart easier...not easy, but easier.

this team needs an identity. but at the beginning of the season last year, the OL was really bad. i suggested that the OL was so bad last year, that  they had to rely on the read option so much just to open up running lanes. in more traditional sets they got no push from the OL at all. this team has to have an identity by the end of of preseason or it will be the same thing. why do people have so much faith in Hixon and Ginn to come in light things up all of a sudden.

i am also noticing a trend that favors the Chargers as well, hopefully it changes.

ding ding ding.

all that bread invested in RBs, and your QB is the leading rusher. lmao.

Archived