• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scathing article about Beason and his contract

JawnyBlaze

With how the open market is now he would be getting vet minimum for another team with his injury history.That is a huge difference.

The non guaranteed part of this years salary is only $1,500,000. So not a huge difference from the vet minimum.

Guy just upgraded himself from "not very smart" to moron.

I thought he was "not very smart" because this like he say Gross and Kalil and heros for recontructing and helping the team. Without mensioning that Gross is taking a huge pay cut in the process and Kalil is making MORE money in the new deal. 

I assumed he at least had checked Beasons contract. 

Turns out he didn't (or did not understand it):

"Jon Beason, who is making a ridiculous $10 million a year, "

NO, he is not. Beason is set to make $5,250,000 in 2013. He also suggest he take a 50% pay cut (while guranteeing 2014 at 50% cut too). Only problem is $3,750,000 of the 2013 money is already guaranteed, so there is only $1,500,000 in 2013 that can be taken off the cap regarless of how the contract is changed. 

There is no point for the Panthers lower that $1,500,000 in 2013 by push more guarnteed money into 2014, as they want to be able to cut (or at least threaten to cut) Beason in a year and there is already a $8,000,000 cap hit to deal with in 2014 from the original sign-on bonus. 

So, the Panthers have not approched Beason about his contract because at this point there is really nothing to do about it from either side. 

However, for Beason to take a cut in 2014 depending on how he plays this year is pretty much guaranteed. 

Hey how you make a post show up as answered? Cause this should be it.

Players rarely restructure and take less money for the good of the team. Most restructure and take less only if it is guaranteed money. In summary, they only restructure if it is in their best interest. I guess Beason isn't at that point.

He'll restructure at some point but the Panthers might want to see how he plays this year to see if he is worth restructuring or if he's done. 2 years is a long time to be out.

Disagree about CJ.  We were almost the fools to make Peppers the highest paid defender in NFL history, instead we put his backup in and he's outproduced Pep.  Cj has a big contract no doubt, but he has more production than Pep, is still young, has a very good motor and forces fumbles like a baws.

If CJ keeps his play level (and hell it could easily increase with the beef we've added on the inside) he's probably going to earn every penny available in his contract.

Honestly, though, that contract is gigantic. We're going to have to get those numbers down eventually, namely when Hardy, Cam, Luke, and Star are all on new deals.

1. I hate Brett Jensen, his show sucks.. just wanted to throw that out there :)

2. it's a 6 year $50M (not 5/50) and he's made $11M up to this point.

3. All indications are that Beason loves the Panthers and would want to stay, just think he doesn't HAVE to take a cut right now because he has all the leverage. I'd expect a restructure or cut in 2014

4. If he's cut after this season -- he essentially played (up to) 21 of 48 games on a 3yr $30M contract. If he's a June 1 cut, it frees up $8 Million in cap for 2014, but pushes $5.3 Mil into 2015 as dead money

No one know whats going on behind closed doors. Remember just a few weeks ago people were saying Dwill would not restructure so this is taken with a gain of salt. However if Im Beason and Im not sure how my body is going to hold up I doubt I would restructure this year ether. Someone was stupid enough to pay him that sum and he is going to get most of it if he is cut.

1. I hate Brett Jensen, his show sucks.. just wanted to throw that out there :)

2. it's a 6 year $50M (not 5/50) and he's made $11M up to this point.

3. All indications are that Beason loves the Panthers and would want to stay, just think he doesn't HAVE to take a cut right now because he has all the leverage. I'd expect a restructure or cut in 2014

4. If he's cut after this season -- he essentially played (up to) 21 of 48 games on a 3yr $30M contract. If he's a June 1 cut, it frees up $8 Million in cap for 2014, but pushes $5.3 Mil into 2015 as dead money

There is a reason we just drafted a OLB. Gettle does not like players to have all the leverage and if Beason thinks he does then he is mistaken.

There is a reason we just drafted a OLB. Gettle does not like players to have all the leverage and if Beason thinks he does then he is mistaken.

This year....Beason has all the leverage.

Next year, Carolina will slowly start to be in a position to talk to him

Who's Brett Jensen?

He is a former beat writer and horrible radio show host to balance the panther love fest from the Mac Attack on WFNZ.

He is skewed negatively toward the Panthers pretty much always and when justifying his points argues he is not a fan and sees it fairly.

Guy is more of a heavy drinking bar guy who was freaking out when he got a facebook account like two years ago and excited he had girls from the bar requesting his friendship if that says anything about him.

I know it is not a popular opinion but Beason is fairly young and had two injury riddled season where he rushed back bc of a commitment to play for the team.

Bad choice by him yes but the team let him play.

..bc I have achillies issues, I was following Beasons injury closely and think it is really the team's trainers-doctors and coaches fault ,who activated him in week 1, after he could not even put weight on his foot a couple of weeks prior.

I was suprised he was out there and as soon as I saw him fall i knew he snapped his achillies and was just puzzled why he was even out there.

Back to the point: Beason's pro bowl level play he provided earned him a nice contract that we have got little return for in the last few years. However he is not obligated to restructure, lose money he was promised by the team only to be cut in in the next two seasons if his injuries are chronic or they just decide to move on.

Teams are doling out these huge contracts(not just the Panthers) then restructuing them the next season which is not in good faith. So I cannot fault Beason for not giving up money he was promised, Earned prior when he has zero promise to be on the team.

Fans expecting players to help a teams financial future by giving up the Player's own financial future is unrealistic..unless you are Tom Brady or someone with income streams outside of football this is the only contract that Beason will probally have till retirement..as he will be a vet minimum very shortly.

Beason, as of right now, has all the leverage -- and next year he doesn't

2013: $5.5M in salary and workout bonus (you save this if he's cut now) vs. $12M signing bonuses to account for. 2013 cap hit goes from $9.25M to $12M (you just payed Beas essentially 12M to take a hike) -- how does he not have the leverage?

2014: $6.75M in salary and workout bonus (saved when cut) vs $8M signing bonus to account for. 2013 cap hit (with a June 1) goes from $10.75M to $2.67M and pushes $5.3M in dead money to 2015. 

2014's situation with Beas essentially becomes the same situation we saw with DWill -- Getts says "We have enough room to make you expendable, and your contract just doesn't work for us. We are offering you a lower salary and will give you instant bonus money now for your cooperation. However, this is our plan -If you don't want to stay in Charlotte and be a team player, then our plan to cut you with a June 1 designation. We hope things can work out for you to stay, if not, then thank you for playing" 

Yet another reason -- Getts doesn't know how well Beas will perform this year or in the future. Why would Getts restructure him now? Again, restructuring gives a player more money that the team will have to chew up when they decide to cut Beas. Beas's already 12M insta-cap-hit -- I don't see Getts adding to that without a good year in 2013

Honestly, though, that contract is gigantic. We're going to have to get those numbers down eventually, namely when Hardy, Cam, Luke, and Star are all on new deals.

Calm down buddy.  As optimistic I as I am about Star he has yet to play a down in the NFL.  We have no idea what his production levels will be, or his resilience to injury.  Even if he's an animal off the bat, we've got 3-4 years to work him on his rookie contract.

We currently have about 9 mil in cap space.  Next year Beason will either be playing at a severely reduced price or be off the team completely, freeing up another 8+ mil.  Within 2 years we will be rid of 1-2 of our backs (between stu, dwill and tolbert).  Salary cap should also be increasing by a fairly significant margin in a year or two.  Cam, Luke and Hardy will be taken care of, all three are simply too important to allow to walk.

This year....Beason has all the leverage.

Next year, Carolina will slowly start to be in a position to talk to him

That's not leverage, that's a one year contract. Same as Dwill its restructure or your gone next year.

Beason, as of right now, has all the leverage -- and next year he doesn't

2013: $5.5M in salary and workout bonus (you save this if he's cut now) vs. $12M signing bonuses to account for. 2013 cap hit goes from $9.25M to $12M (you just payed Beas essentially 12M to take a hike) -- how does he not have the leverage?

2014: $6.75M in salary and workout bonus (saved when cut) vs $8M signing bonus to account for. 2013 cap hit (with a June 1) goes from $10.75M to $2.67M and pushes $5.3M in dead money to 2015.

2014's situation with Beas essentially becomes the same situation we saw with DWill -- Getts says "We have enough room to make you expendable, and your contract just doesn't work for us. We are offering you a lower salary and will give you instant bonus money now for your cooperation. However, this is our plan -If you don't want to stay in Charlotte and be a team player, then our plan to cut you with a June 1 designation. We hope things can work out for you to stay, if not, then thank you for playing"

Yet another reason -- Getts doesn't know how well Beas will perform this year or in the future. Why would Getts restructure him now? Again, restructuring gives a player more money that the team will have to chew up when they decide to cut Beas. Beas's already 12M insta-cap-hit -- I don't see Getts adding to that without a good year in 2013

Leverage is based on if your willing to cut a player or not. Dwill,Gross, and Kalil all had what you are calling leverage yet took pay cuts because they want to play. Anderson and Gamble on the other hand did not, but guess what, Gamble is still getting paid. Oh and guess what we are still paying Jake Delhomme for being a QB.

Archived