• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What kind of spider is this?

Johnny Rockets

It's not a wolf spider, it's a type of water spider(its got diving, swimming or fishing in its name, I don't remember exactly) native to nc, they get a lot bigger, I've seen one nearly the size of my fist before. I was working a dock for a canoe/kayak launch for a summer camp some years back two of those fuggers were sitting on the dock as I was waiting for a group to get back, and I tried to kill it with a paddle, it jumped off the dock and dove under water and swam under the dock!

needles to say my ass didnt go close to the dock unless I had to for the rest of the day :-s

It's not a wolf spider, it's a type of water spider(its got diving, swimming or fishing in its name, I don't remember exactly) native to nc, they get a lot bigger, I've seen one nearly the size of my fist before. I was working a dock for a canoe/kayak launch for a summer camp some years back two of those fuggers were sitting on the dock as I was waiting for a group to get back, and I tried to kill it with a paddle, it jumped off the dock and dove under water and swam under the dock!

needles to say my ass didnt go close to the dock unless I had to for the rest of the day :-s

That's odd that it's a water spider because there aren't any bodies of water around there except for a small stream but that is about 1/4 mile away. Interesting...I'll have to search for what you are describing and see what I can find out.

Nah, not a recluse... The venomous ones native to NC are usually very small, like around fingernail size. I've been bitten by a recluse when I was a teen, and they don't really scare me anymore... Now, I still don't F around with them, but I'm cool as long as I can see them.

Widows are black and you can distinguish them by a red hourglass on their bodies. Recluses are brown and usually have a lighter colored, yellowish iirc, violin shape on their bodies but I believe theirs is on their underside.

That's odd that it's a water spider because there aren't any bodies of water around there except for a small stream but that is about 1/4 mile away. Interesting...I'll have to search for what you are describing and see what I can find out.

i only have my phone right now, but back when that spider swam under the dock I looked it up and found it when I got home that day, but yeah it's the same spider.

It's a "fishing spider" if I can figure out how to post a pic from my phone ill share it, the adults are very big.

Yep...after looking that up I believe you are correct. You are the winner!!!  Thanks for solving the mystery! Still odd that he was on the the grill in the backyard of my ex's house which is no where near water.

Nah, not a recluse... The venomous ones native to NC are usually very small, like around fingernail size. I've been bitten by a recluse when I was a teen, and they don't really scare me anymore... Now, I still don't F around with them, but I'm cool as long as I can see them.

Widows are black and you can distinguish them by a red hourglass on their bodies. Recluses are brown and usually have a lighter colored, yellowish iirc, violin shape on their bodies but I believe theirs is on their underside.

it's on top on the front part of their back.

IMG_0200.JPG

those things are generally pretty harmless, despite their size. wolf spiders can be downright terrifying, especially when they go into attack mode

I have a pretty unsettling story about spending a night in a spider-infested cabin in Australia but I'm pretty sure I've told it every time a spider thread has popped up in the lounge

Archived