• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rosenthal's write-up on Cam Newton

Mage

it's a semi-fair assessment, although it seems to be a little harsh on cam in some regards.

i'm having trouble figuring out who is in this guy's top 3... luck, rg3 and who?

my list would be as follows:

1. cam (unmatched and unprecedented physical traits, star power, confidence and puts up retarded numbers with still tons of room to grow)

2. luck (as much hate as some of you guys give him, he looked very impressive last year.)

3. wilson (straight up baller, just limited by his size)

4. stafford (2 5000 yard seasons before the age of 25)

5. rg3 (i don't think he will hold up in the nfl)

also, lebron was an incredibly skilled player coming out of highschool, he wasn't one of those guys that relies purely on athleticism.

Cap from Sam Fran.

That's a simple way of saying "His team is not winning yet, so I reserve the right to place Cam higher when they do, or he puts up even more ridiculous numbers". Lol. 

That doesn't take courage. Far from it. That conclusion's, just 'Business as usual', with a better analysis.

My problem is, after watching Film of RG3, can anyone say he actually ran an NFL offense, and shown he's capable of it, based off of last  year? I say no!!

Luck, was similar performer to Cam, with 11 wins (yeah, we know about his turnovers,  good fortune, crappy schedule, and prior reputation). That's why I could see them placing Luck above Cam. 

Mind you, I didn't read it yet. And I'm going off of what you guys are saying. 

read it before you respond further. it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

The biggest thing Cam has to get away from on the field is throwing off of his back foot.  Even when he has time, he'll get lazy with his technique and throw off of his back foot and when he does, the ball will often sail on him.  When he uses proper footwork, gets set, and steps into his throws he throws a beautiful ball.

The video showing the sack where Cam had no short options underneath says a lot about Rob Chudzinski.  

Yep, Chud is so concerned about trying to make the big plays downfield that he often drew up some stuff that essentially relied on Cam to make something out of nothing if everything didn't go exactly as planned - and considering Smitty was our only real field stretcher and our OL was a patchwork unit - things rarely went exactly as planned.

The video showing the sack where Cam had no short options underneath says a lot about Rob Chudzinski.  

as does the description of the offense as "boom or bust". i wouldn't have thought about labeling it like that, but it fits. chud got so caught up in this notion that we were the best big play team in the league that it became the focus of it. we had more than anyone because we did it more than anyone....cam really didn't have much of a choice because that's all there was much of the time.

as does the description of the offense as "boom or bust". i wouldn't have thought about labeling it like that, but it fits. chud got so caught up in this notion that we were the best big play team in the league that it became the focus of it. we had more than anyone because we did it more than anyone....cam really didn't have much of a choice because that's all there was much of the time.

Sometimes I think Chudzinski was coaching to get a head coaching gig.  Trying to pad stats instead of coaching to win.  Ended up working out for him I guess.

Sometimes I think Chudzinski was coaching to get a head coaching gig.  Trying to pad stats instead of coaching to win.  Ended up working out for him I guess.

i think he was.

it almost didn't work, tho. how many candidates did rhey go through before they threw their collective hands up in the air and ask chud to come in? i still think they do pretty good, but mainly because he built that coaching staff better than rivera did.

Pretty accurately portrays Cam. I think it serves no purpose trying to rank these young QBs as each have excelled in different ways and each had a different supporting cast. example is put any QB in the league behind our line last year and they would have had problems.

My opinion is Cam is the most physically gifted QB in the game which for him is both good and bad.Because of his physical attributes I sometimes feel he rely s on them and may not be as passionate learning the mental makeup of the game.The good thing is that can change  that and when it does he will absolutely dominate.

Here's my take on the mental aspect so far. For the first year and a half Cam had been thinking too much. Footwork, reads, blocking assignments, and a whole lot more. Right around the mid-way point, the light cam on for Cam.

He was much more poised and confident in the pocket. When he moved it was with a purpose, or to buy time. Always looking down field. Run when all else fails. He just seemed so much more decisive as well. He has got this now. And, to me, it shows. So much so that the entire team has bought in.

Cam is the leader now. I am expecting a big ol' C on the uni. The last half of the year you could tell. It was Cam's team then, and it's Cam's team now. Just one more thing to be excited about. As if I needed any more fuel.

Hard to say you expect big things when talking Cam. I guess bigger things fits the bill better.

Cam IMO has never had an issue with pocket poise. Footwork yes....but the kid IMO is almost too comfortable sitting in a pocket

I still don't see how he gets a C....unless Smitty or Gross simply literally say they want Cam to have theirs to the team

Fair article. Doesn't say anything we all shouldn't already know. Cam is great but needs refinement and will hopefully age well into a great QB. He also needs weapons and a more stable offensive line.

Sadly this team needs a legit future #1 to replace Smitty, a new LT next year, RG (hopefully Kug will fit this year, but should fill the shoes next year), a legit RT. Hopefully this year we will have established our future at #2 & #3 WR slots with this group (LaFell isn't the future #1). A Shockey like TE wouldn't hurt either -- Hartsock is 32 and has only caught 2 catches for 30 yards in the 2 years he's been here. Yeah he's a blocking TE, but why not find someone who can produce in both facets. 

Defensively we need another S, a strong CB and I have a feeling that DE will need to be addressed in the future. CJ's $ will continue to eat up cap, and Hardy may not be affordable with all the upcoming positions needing to be filled

read it before you respond further. it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Ok, I read it. 

It had it's pluses and minuses. However, I can tell he didn't watch all of Cam's games (or at least noticed what he was looking at, and/or didn't compensate for Chud, the Offensive Line, and receiver talent to a lesser degree) in his analysis. 

And I thought he was too harsh on Cam's pocket ability (though, ironically, he also mentioned he 'stands tall in the pocket better than any young QB'; mentioned his poor offensive line, and Chud's bad play calling and consistency). 

Luck, was certainly not consistent at all. He was just fortunate he was bailed out by his defense and assisted by a poor schedule. It's not hating. It's just true. And Wilson, RG3 and Kaepernick, were too well protected by their gimmick offenses (mainly Rg3, then Kaep, and Wilson to a lesser degree), better coaching and run game to rely on to properly rate their talents definitively better than Cam. How can this be overlooked and not taken into the equation?

In other words, can you imagine Luck, Wilson, and especially Kaep and RG3 on the Panthers during Cam's rookie season or last year (especially with Rivera as head coach)? It would just be night and day for them. And I think the Panthers would be a much worse team. 

Archived