• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty's OTA observations

PantherFeez

Smitty was on The Drive yesterday which is always fun to listen to. During the beginning of the 3rd hour, he was asked about OTA's and what he has seen thus far. The link is below as well as a break down. Listen to 4:13 through 8:02 for what the summary talks about.

http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/?podcast_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.podtrac.com%2Fpts%2Fredirect.mp3%2Fnyc.podcast.play.it%2Fmedia%2Fd0%2Fd0%2Fd1%2Fd2%2FdX%2FdK%2FdF%2F12XKF_3.MP3%3Fauthtok%3D5562103137193941178_v6pbcy8sQIrtDuHqZWfBw4fFQQc&podcast_name=The+Drive+Hour+3+5%2F31&podcast_artist=Jay+Weezie&station_id=61&tag=pages&dcid=CBS.CHARLOTTE

Summary:

• What reciever has stood out to you? (Smith) - "A reciever that has stood out to me? Hmmmm... [4 seconds of silence]... the tight ends have been ballin. We haven't been catching too many passes on the outside" Give me a tight end (Smith) - "Greg Olsen.. the tight ends have been killin."
  • How about KK and Star? Smith said they were doing well, and went out of his way to mention Lindon Gaydosh. Said he reminded him of Shane Burton. Quick hands, doesn't look athletic.. said if he was standing next to Hardy and CJ you would think he's their agent.
  • DBs - said Drayton Florence impressed him and was doing a good job of getting the DB's together. Mike Mitchell flies around telling WR's if they were in pads he'd "blow them up".
  • Talk about the WR meeting room being thick and uneasy with competition.
  • Said Josh Thomas was ball'n
  • Said he wouldn't do any 1-on-1's at training camp because he wants to watch the young DB's and WR's go at each other
  • DJ Moore showed he could play the nickel and wants to play outside.

I think smitty is trying to foster more competition among the WRs. He's just goading them trying to get a positive reaction.

Smith is pretty straight forward IMO. We have a bunch of lower tier WRs competing against each other...

I doubt it is some master plan that he just knows they will tune in to him talking on the radio...and he is afraid to say how impressive some where bc it might cause someone to quit working so hard...

No one has impressed him clearly at WR. We didn't bring in anyone impressive and our old cast isn't....so it isn't a shock

Smitty did say they haven't been catching to many balls on the outside.

2 TEs, 2WRs, 1 RB sounds like a formation with some versatility. Hellz, there are too damm many variations on formations on how to best utilize our talent. If one of the TEs steps up, you can move Olsen out to WR.

Plenty of time to let the competition play itself out. Ah, who am I kidding. Carry on with the worry and strife. Things just might go as well as we all are hoping. Why not?

Let's be real. Smith is at the place in his career where he's starting to look sideways at everybody that is coming for his reps. I know he's not a fake dude, but he's probably trying to remind everybody he's still the best we've got and it's not even close.

Archived