• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ginn gets another chance

La Pantera

Actually, thats really the only real asset Ginn has. He can blow by DBs. The problem is consistency catching the ball.

And as far as Lee goes...I doubt we'll have a shot at drafting him, unless we make a huge trade.

dude i get why you would think that but that's never been his game.

Combining his 2 best seasons (2008 and 2009)

He was targeted 164 times

Only 33 of those were targets over 20 yards

of those 33, he only caught 8 of them

To put it in perspective, 33/164 is 20.1%. In 2012. 59 receivers had over 10 passes over 20 yards directed at them. Of those 59, he wouldve been 34th with his 20.1%, between the likes of Michael Floyd and Denarius Moore.

Contrary to popular belief, most of his career has been intermediate passes. Whenever he's been asked to take the top off the defense..he's failed at it.

dude i get why you would think that but that's never been his game.

Combining his 2 best seasons (2008 and 2009)

He was targeted 164 times

Only 33 of those were targets over 20 yards

of those 33, he only caught 8 of them

To put it in perspective, 33/164 is 20.1%. In 2012. 59 receivers had over 10 passes over 20 yards directed at them. Of those 59, he wouldve been 34th with his 20.1%, between the likes of Michael Floyd and Denarius Moore.

Contrary to popular belief, most of his career has been intermediate passes. Whenever he's been asked to take the top off the defense..he's failed at it.

His two best seasons '08 and '09, who was his QB? Pennington correct? You have to take into account that Chad wasn't very good at going deep. No WR on those squads caught many deep balls. As I've stated in this thread, Ginn isnt a world beater, BUT he will compete for that 3rd spot.

His two best seasons '08 and '09, who was his QB? Pennington correct? You have to take into account that Chad wasn't very good at going deep. No WR on those squads caught many deep balls. As I've stated in this thread, Ginn isnt a world beater, BUT he will compete for that 3rd spot.

You might as well save your breath defending Ginn Jr. Those folks with their preconceived notions of his ineptitude are never going to change their minds.

Even if Ginn Jr. has a productive year, they will spin it out as luck, or scheme, or even Cam that made him have a good year. To the haters it will be any reason but, he put in the work needed to be productive.

He signed here because they are giving him an opportunity to make plays in the passing game. It is up to him to earn the opportunities. If he can be productive, we are a better team for it. I can live with that.

Oh, and the 9ers signed him as a return man. They never gave him an opportunity to show what he can do in the passing game. Spin that.

Ginn is making an impression on Rivera and Proehl with his speed. He is apparently making the catches also.

“You hear things from the outside about players,” Rivera told the Charlotte Observer. “But then when you see him for yourself, and you sit there and you go, ‘Wow.’Watching Ted’s speed, his quickness, his route-running – and he’s catching everything right now. So we’re real excited about that, and his potential as far as a return man.”

You might as well save your breath defending Ginn Jr. Those folks with their preconceived notions of his ineptitude are never going to change their minds.

Even if Ginn Jr. has a productive year, they will spin it out as luck, or scheme, or even Cam that made him have a good year. To the haters it will be any reason but, he put in the work needed to be productive.

He signed here because they are giving him an opportunity to make plays in the passing game. It is up to him to earn the opportunities. If he can be productive, we are a better team for it. I can live with that.

Oh, and the 9ers signed him as a return man. They never gave him an opportunity to show what he can do in the passing game. Spin that.

Lmao im not some blind hater. Ive watched ginn his entire career. Dude has nothing as a receiver. Saying that he didnt get a chance in san fran just isnt true. In 2011, Crabtree was the ONLY 49ers WR to play more snaps than Ginn. Ginn just did nothing with his snaps just like he's done his entire career.

Ginn played with Pennington in 08 and Henne is 09. Pennington didnt throw deep often but he was accurate when he did so. Pennington was accurate on 20 of his 37 deep balls in 2008..54%. Meanwhile Ginn only caught 41% of his deep targets that year. Henne was a less accurate 29.8% and yet Ginn could only haul in 14% of his deep targets. His Qbs were always better off throwing deep to to ANYONE ELSE.

Guest HelloWorld

To be fair he was used almost exclusively as a returner. Hard to get a lot of catches when you're not on the field. That's a big reason he came here. He'll be given a chance to compete for the #3 spot.

He is only 28 and ran about a 4.3 coming out of college, if a 4.3 WR can catch a ball in the NFL, they'd find a way to put him on the field. 2 catch

pennington's arm was pretty much shot by the time he got to miami. he never really had what you'd call a cannon for an arm anyway, but his shoulder injuries and multiple surgeries really did him in. he was more of a technician in miami. he was always a really smart QB which is why he did as well as he did, but penny wasn't the best QB for ginn's strengths. there was a limit to how far he could throw the ball.

Yeah, he played well that one season with Pennington. And that was one of the only times in his career he had stability at QB. Hope he can be our deep threat, but I wont be holding my breath as well.

If I took 2 things from this article it would be

1.  The only good season (MIAMI) he had was when he had a QB that could get him the ball. (Pennington)

2.  Watching his speed, his quickness and ROUTE RUNNING and he is catching EVERYTHING.

Even when he was with the 9ers he didn't have a QB that could get him the ball.  A. Smith didn't use him and Kaepernick had a lovefest with Crabtree.   I think Cam will enjoy using that speed and quickness to spread the field.

Route running is esenntial.  I truly don't care how fast you are if you don't run the correct route the QB won't know where you are.  7 yd out means 7 yd out.  You would be surprised at how many receiver cannot follow instruction.   Why I think WRs flameout so much in the Pros.  Most of these guys just run around and don't learn proper route running skills.  So they dominate against inexperienced DBs and look incredible but when they get to the pros they cannot run a route and flameout cause they just cannot do it. 

Yeah Yeah Yeah I got it they are in shorts but if he is catching everything throw his way then that is a good sign.   He has a great one to learn from and I hope Ginn takes this opportunity to excel.

Many on this forum believe he was brought in strictly to enhance our special teams.   I am of the belief he was signed so he could play receiver too.  #3 right now.  If he stays longer,  hopefully he could take Smitty's spot when he finally retires.

We once had KR that had to fight to get some playing time at WR.  When he finally got his chance he became our best receiver ever.  STEVE SMITH

Hey, if Gman has done his homework as he seems to have done time and time again... I'll wait and see if the poo will shine...

Here's to all our WR's stepping it up a notch or 3 this season.

Ginn, Hixon, Gettis, Pilares, Adams, Edwards and a number of others.

I truly hope one of the first three steps up.  However, to be honest with you.  If we keep 5 plus Smitty as long as we get 2500 yds out of our receiving corps I could careless about how it is distributed.

Archived