• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

International Calling / Texting

Johnny Rockets

So my son is flying to Finland for a couple weeks and like any 20 year old who has a girfriend, he sends a couple hundred texts a day. He is on my Sprint account (yes I know they suck) and I don't want him to run up and $10,000 monthly bill on me while he is there.

He doesn't really make phone calls but I know he may go into a seizure and die if he can't text at least a few times a day. Anyone know the best way to set this up? Someone mentioned an international texting card but I don't know much about them. 

Tell him he can't use his phone but can use Skype if he wants through his computer, that's what I did when I traveled only spent $50 on 8 months worth of use, that's probably about 1-2 hours a week on the phone.

If tell him to do that or buy a prepaid when he gets over there with his own money

They can chat through Facebook or text through Skype

True and that is what I did when my daughter went last year when she could but he will be visiting a lot of family over there and many of them do not have wifi and live 50 miles or more from the nearest town. I realize that most likely means no cell phone service either but I know he is going to try to text any chance he gets because that is much more conveinent than skype or facebook. Plus it is hard to set up a time to skype when there is a 7 hour time difference and you aren't sure when you will both people will be  near a spot or computer to skype.  

True and that is what I did when my daughter went last year when she could but he will be visiting a lot of family over there and many of them do not have wifi and live 50 miles or more from the nearest town. I realize that most likely means no cell phone service either but I know he is going to try to text any chance he gets because that is much more conveinent than skype or facebook. Plus it is hard to set up a time to skype when there is a 7 hour time difference and you aren't sure when you will both people will be near a spot or computer to skype.

i never had a problem with that, usually I'd just call when it was a time they might answer keeping a 14 hour time difference in mind

Rent him a satellite or international phone.

It will be cheaper than the month of international roaming.

http://www.satellitephonestore.com/

You can also buy limited pkgs from your provider.  If he has any self control at all one of their plans could be just the ticket.  If on the other hand you know he will use it and not give any thought to what its costing you them go with the rental.

I just got back from 10 days in Africa and even with heavy reliance on WiFi and very diligently turning off cellular data and data roaming when I didn't need it my bill is going to be over in the 500 ball park for those 10 days.

when I had my own personal phone, I would call my provider and get temporary international calling/data whenever I went to the states.  Now all I carry is a business phone so I don't care anymore.

that said...you have to do something or you will pay through your ass....that I can promise you

Archived