• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Jeff Taylor develop into a starting SG.

koolkatluke

His wingspan isn't good for a SF but ok for a SG. He can knocked down the 3 and can learn to be better running around screens. He is a very good defender and super athletic.

So what do you guys think of him getting a look as Hendo's and MKG direct back-up and maybe a future starter?

I've debated this with myself several times. I think he could be a serious candidate for the 2 guard in a Thabo Sefalosha role. If he can develop his shot more and his confidence (this is key) then he could really be a candidate for a 3-and-D type SG. I think Kemba and MKG are set to be starters here so we need someone to help space the floor. The problem is that there are very few star SG's who excel at the 3 ball. Harden is the only star SG that can do it (that isn't old) and Beal and McLemore are possible candidates but are a stretch. Taylor could possibly be groomed to fit that role and we could bring someone like Marcus Smart (or maybe Hendo) off the bench in a Harden role.

I am not sure he will ever be the guy we want to start in anything but a pinch, but I do feel he can be a great role player and even the 6th man for this team. Great defense with a solid shot. Great in transition and willing to rebound. He is one of my favorite players on the team and I think he can be a big contributor through the yrs 

Yes. But on the right team. He could be a starter on a team with a big three where his main purpose was as a defender and all that was asked of him on offense was to spot up in the corner and cutting to the basket on double teams.

At least right now I don't see him starting on a team that needs offensive balance from all 5 positions.

Yes. But on the right team. He could be a starter on a team with a big three where his main purpose was as a defender and all that was asked of him on offense was to spot up in the corner and cutting to the basket on double teams.

At least right now I don't see him starting on a team that needs offensive balance from all 5 positions.

Jeff Taylor can start... Hell, he started for us some last year... but we will not be a playoff team nor a very competitive lottery team if Jeff Taylor is our starting shooting guard.  The stars would have to align for Jeff Taylor to be a starter on a quality team.  It would have to be one of the "super teams" that finished signing big names and was looking for a cheap SG plug-in.

I assumed that by the title of the OP that the question was asking if Jeff Taylor could be an established SG in the league that would command Gerald Henderson type money in free agency.  To that... my answer is no.

Watching these highlights make me realize he would have been a top 15 guy in this last draft.

It was more impressive than Ben Mclemore for sure.

He has all the intangible-maturity gained skills you want in a guy. He is more skilled than a Thabo...he is as good now as Harrison Barnes was in the playoffs...except a better shooter and driver.*

* classic ninja polarizing comment.

Agreed. He would absolutely shine on a team like the Spurs, hell, even the Pacers.

On a bad team, mediocre team, or a team just not there... he would be what he is now.

Jeff Taylor is a promising player, but lets not get it twisted guys. He is 24 years old, and averaged 6 ppg last season. He still has some potential left, and I feel like he will be a very good role player in the future and a player that every team covets/needs, but he will not be a starter on a playoff team (unless you have stars around him - ala Thunder, Heat, etc). I see him peaking at around Thabo levels with slightly better scoring and rebounding potential. I'm definitely a big fan of him, because I like good 3 and D role players, but don't get carried away.

Archived