• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

18 years ago today...

CatMan72

It's really crazy that its been 18 years. 18 years ago today, I became a Panther fan. I was 8 years old and just starting to like football. Since I was just starting to watch, I wanted a team that I could follow from their history. As I watched the HOF game, I told my mom that my favorite team would be the team that won that game.

Panthers won that preseason game, and I have been a fan ever since. It's crazy to think of all the ups and downs in this teams relatively short history, and I am so glad I have been a fan every step of the way.

I remember watching that game...hard to believe it has already been 18 years.  I was only 7 and my dad and I were Dolphins fans prior to the Panthers existing.  I am so happy we have a team here now and can't even imagine not having the Panthers to follow 24/7 365

I remember watching this game with my older brother(RIP) when I was 11 with my life-size Panthers helmet replica in my lap that I bought with my own birthday money.  Was so happy when they won, I ran around the house with my helmet on smashing into things with my head.

It's really crazy that its been 18 years. 18 years ago today, I became a Panther fan. I was 8 years old and just starting to like football. Since I was just starting to watch, I wanted a team that I could follow from their history. As I watched the HOF game, I told my mom that my favorite team would be the team that won that game.

Panthers won that preseason game, and I have been a fan ever since. It's crazy to think of all the ups and downs in this teams relatively short history, and I am so glad I have been a fan every step of the way.

Man, you were dangerously close to having to own a Blaine Gabbert jersey!

Players I remember from that game:

Bob Christian (pretty sure he scored our first touchdown), Howard Griffith (sledgehammer fullback), Paul Butcher (Dr. Psycho), Frank Reich, Blake Brockermeyer, Lamar Lathon, John Kasay, and of course, Sam Mills

Great game moments:

Kerry Collins taking his first snaps as a pro...

Desmond Howard running a punt back for a TD against terrible coverage :(

Tyrone Poole leaping about ten feet in the air to snag an interception...

And obviously, Steve Lofton's pass knockdown, the last play of a magnificent goal line stand that won the game :D

Archived