• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who has the bigger year, Johnson or Hardy?

Cyberjag

Just curious to see what the board thinks.  Hardy's been getting all the attention here, but Johnson has never really been the kind of guy who does that, he just goes out and gets a lot of sacks.

So who has the bigger year, in your opinion?

I actually think it will be just like last year with what they did just their numbers might be up 2 or 3 more sacks. Teams are going to switch up from time to time on which one of the DE they want to double help on so it should keep the race close between those two. I remember last year in a interview Hardy talking about CJ and him having a friendly competition between them always wanting to one up the other in sacks. All in all it should be fun to watch and I can't wait to see them in action.

So, everyone thinks our defense is good now?

Who knows?

On paper at least we're better or the same at every position.

DE - Hardy in a contract year, and there's no reason to suspect a drop off from CJ

DT - Not really proven yet, but Star >Fua. And Dwan gets some back up in Short.

LB - Luke in his natural position. TD first full healthy off season. Beason is a question mark but comes out with something to prove. Blackburn and Klein provide nice depth.

CB - Captain is a solid nickel. We'll see about the outside but a year in the league should help Norman and Dockery seems okay so far.

Safety - Godfrey is a better FS and he's already fired up by early reports. Anyone > Naka so whoever wins the job will likely be an upgrade at SS.

So secondary is at least = last year and the front 7 looks improved. Have to feel good about the defense at least at this point.

Johnson will remain the better player.  Hardy is lighter now, and not unlike CJ bulking up in 09 and then shedding in 10, I think it'll lean out Hardy's rush and he'll have a good blend of power and speed.  He'll also likely start the year out with blocking schemes shaded toward CJ.  

But I won't be convinced that Hardy will be as good against the run.  It's not that he had to get to 300 to be a good run player, he likely would've improved for '12 anyway, and he's staying at home/playing contain better. But he did also get pushed around a little more in '11. 

Archived