• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roger Goodell and NFL cracking down on celebrations!

Pantherman

This is a bunch of old white men making rules for old white men, not realizing their opinion is in the minority of football fans. Honkeys gonna honk I guess.

ozzie smith, marvin lewis, rick smith, and mike tomlin are all on the competion committee...that's half of the guys suggesting the rules and presenting them to the owners for voting.

get over it.

Used to watch as much for the celebrations as for the touchdowns.

Think that's the point...Goodell and the committee don't really care about people who watch for the celebrations.  The real fans who love "football" will watch regardless.

Kinda like people who only watch NBA basketball to see dunks.  You're useful, but not necessary.

This is a bunch of old white men making rules for old white men, not realizing their opinion is in the minority of football fans. Honkeys gonna honk I guess.

Now that was a racist comment. Ill talk with you but no longer respect you, mainly because of the WCU tag but that's bad enough. Honkys gonna honk? Something is going on as for all the rule changes and no one knows why. I believe Goodell needs to have a sit down with 60 minutes like Amenidajad did.

I know this sounds lame but if my son was playing a sport and spun the ball in someone's face or did a stupid dance after making a play I'd be pretty pissed.  I'd be inclined to run out on the field and slap him upside the head.

Like it or not but kids idolize and emulate these guys, setting an example for young fans may be the point of all this.

Just playing devil's advocate.

I am just glad his other rule changes did not get approved--not this year anyway:

1.  No bending at the knee.  Players will be fitted with a special brace to keep the legs from bending at the knee, ala Forrest Gump as a child.  This will slow the game a bit, but  prevent ACL tears and reduce leading with the helmet by 92%.  After tackles, each player will have an assigned "Field Assistant" to help him back to his feet--like the ball chasers at the net in Tennis, sorta.

2.  Helmets will be enlarged to three times their normal size and filled with memory foam. This is not only good business because the logos on each helmet can be seen from Space, but the term "memory foam" should end the lawsuits of former players who are suing the NFL for not being able to find their car keys.

3.  While open, demonstrative celebrating is now taboo, players will be allowed to high five their "field assistant" (see #1) on the sideline and the "field assistant" will be allowed to tweet his jubilation to the followers during TV timeouts.

4.  Giving the ball to a kid in the stands is banned unless the kid first signs a release form, allowing his image to be shown on television and agreeing to relinquish his right to a lawsuit should the ball lead to an injury or emotional trauma in any way.

5. Instead of penalties, referees will apply positive reinforcement by giving 1/2" helmet stickers to players they catch "being good."  They got this idea from Ohio State, where their coach and players have a stellar reputation.  Since the helmets will be enlarged, it is possible to eliminate penalties by displaying the degree to which players have complied with the terms of the rule book.  Players who do not have stickers will be assumed to be either cheaters or benchwarmers, thus shunned. 

6. Of course, there will be times when punishment is in order.  No longer will a flag be thrown and a time-consuming 5, 10, or 15 yard penalty be marked off.  Instead, the violator will be tased for 5, 10, or 15 seconds, depending on the severity of the violation.  The play clock would not be stopped for this, and since the player is still on the field, no substitute can replace him as he recovers.  Tasers are considered safe and effective, safer than those flags that have hit players in the eye.  Goodell realizes that watching a player vibrating after a taser blast would be very entertaining for everyone except his "Field Assistant."  Tasing is all the rage in North Korea and most all Eastern Block countries, where Goodell is considering expansion by 2020.

Archived