• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL power rankings (yeah i know its way early)

Spaceballs83

[Young sports journalist]

Hmmm... So you're saying I could spend 50-60 hours a week researching, writing, fact checking, & otherwise doing my job, thus building my reputation & gaining the respect of tens of thousands of knowledgeable football fans... Or I could let others do that, spend 7-8 hours a week reading their work & finding a blurb I could twisy to mean whatever I wanted, come up with a few snarky, obnoxious quips, & gain the readership of the millions of bandwagon jumping knuckle draggers who post my crap everywhere, leading to the casual fan & even the knowledgeable fan clicking on my site, thus gaining a nationally syndicated column or radio/TV show?[Young sports journalist]

Yep, as a young(ish) man trying to break in to the uber competitive world of sports journalism I get that.  You can say the right thing and dwell in mediocrity or even worse for your very, very short career, Or, you can sensationalize a towel, a smile, a punching incident that is 5 years old, an imaginary probowl incident, or The Golden Calf of Bristol and fly up the ranks to find a seat at the 4 letter network.  Its a real bitch.

Yep, as a young(ish) man trying to break in to the uber competitive world of sports journalism I get that. You can say the right thing and dwell in mediocrity or even worse for your very, very short career, Or, you can sensationalize a towel, a smile, a punching incident that is 5 years old, an imaginary probowl incident, or The Golden Calf of Bristol and fly up the ranks to find a seat at the 4 letter network. Its a real bitch.

Its what made me change majors.

Yep, as a young(ish) man trying to break in to the uber competitive world of sports journalism I get that.  You can say the right thing and dwell in mediocrity or even worse for your very, very short career, Or, you can sensationalize a towel, a smile, a punching incident that is 5 years old, an imaginary probowl incident, or The Golden Calf of Bristol and fly up the ranks to find a seat at the 4 letter network.  Its a real bitch.

headlines sell better than content.

headlines sell better than content.

To the lowest common denominator you are correct.  But look at how many ple are actually fed up with this form of journalism.  There is a growing market for substance over flash.  For those laying the ground work for that now it will pay dividends later.

Guest HelloWorld

I'll take that. I don't want us going into the season with too much expectation. Most team have that guy at WR but we don't. Plus, our defense is yet to be tested in its updated form. I think we'll win 10-11 games but won't be surprises if we only win 8.

Guest HelloWorld

Dolphins over the Giants? Bengals over the Ravens, Packers, and Patriots?

This is a troll job.

The Bengals is not to be messed with though. They have that defense plus their 1st round TE to line up with A.J. They might be a 12 win team this year. The AFC is not that strong.

Redskins at #10? Really? Not to mention Rams, Bears, Cowboys and Saints are listed above the cats. Stupid rankings.

Griffin is on ESPN literally about 23 hours a day, thus the ranking.

The Cowboys get over rated EVERY year, thus the ranking.

The Saints are a glory hole pick because fake good guy Brees has his Vicodin stealing addict coach back, thus the ranking.

Rams are the popular sleeper, thus the ranking.

The Bears won 10 games last year, thus the ranking.

We have a paper thin oline, a yet to be tested secondary, and a coach that makes questionable game day decisions. Thus our ranking.

To the lowest common denominator you are correct.  But look at how many ple are actually fed up with this form of journalism.  There is a growing market for substance over flash.  For those laying the ground work for that now it will pay dividends later.

among readers, maybe. 

among those who view journalism as mainly a means to sell advertising (ie, the ones who do the hiring) it's all about the headlines. if you want to work and make enough money to live on, you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Archived