• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rookie Review: Star Lotulelei - ESPN

CanadianCat

I remember plenty of arguments for taking a wide out over a DT. People always crave home run hitters come draft day. Once the pick was in, all that talk ended.

Vouched, and looking back on it now that we have Ginn as our #3. . . its still laughable. That could easily be one of 4 different guys and people were calling to add a 5th. . . in the first round no less. There was one thread that said we should consider drafting one in the first AND second.

If I'm not mistaken, he's PFF's highest ranked rookie:

14. Star Lotulelei, DT, Carolina Panthers
Grade: +7.8
Snaps: 108
Analysis: At the moment our sixth ranked defensive tackle on the year with nearly his entire grade coming against the run. In that regard only Damon Harrison has graded better as Lotulelei already makes a name for himself.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/09/25/first-rounders-in-focus-week-3/

I remember plenty of arguments for taking a wide out over a DT. People always crave home run hitters come draft day. Once the pick was in, all that talk ended.

i think that was mainly because no one thought that star would fall that far. it was pretty widely accepted that he was the best DT in the draft and one of the best players in the draft. most thought that he was a top 3-5 pick and even after the heart scare i doubt many thought he would fall past the 10th.

a WR over star....nah. a WR (or pass catching TE) over another DT? very understandable.

Vouched, and looking back on it now that we have Ginn as our #3. . . its still laughable. That could easily be one of 4 different guys and people were calling to add a 5th. . . in the first round no less. There was one thread that said we should consider drafting one in the first AND second.

pretty sure that thread wasn't serious.

Maybe I'm the only one, but this article pisses me off!!!  Star is a stud, blah, blah, blah, but not as good, athletic, etc., as Ngata???  REALLY??? 

Ngata ran a 5.13 40 at the combine...Star ran a 5.07

Ngata put up 37 reps...Star put up 38

Ngata was 7.97 in the three cone...Star was 7.76

Ngata was 4.69 in the short shuttle...Star was 4.67

Ngata had 17.5 TFL and 6.5 sacks in 2 years at Oregon...Star had 19 TFL and 6.5 sacks in 2 years at Utah.

He even mentions Mike Bellotti, a guy that hasn't coached in five years, in an article that really should have everything to do with Star.  Why? 

Not mad at the OP and appreciate the post, but it fires me up even more.  Very poor "insider" article IMO, not to mention simply untrue!!!  Star was #1 overall on many mock's last year at this time for a reason.  We are seeing and will continue to see that reason.  Star at #14 was without question the greatest moment I have ever had watching the draft.  

Archived