• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Of our 13 remaining opponents, 8 are in the top 15 for sacks allowed, 5 are in the top ten.

cardiackat88.

I know it's only three weeks into the season, and we hardly got any pressure to EJ Manuel, bit maybe we have a chance to do something special this year!

Counting New Orleans twice before anyone calls me out on my numbers.

Link to stats: http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2013&seasonType=REG&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&statisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKS_ALLOWED

How many sacks do you think it would take him getting to win droy? I think if he got like 11 sacks and 50+ tackles that could do it. 11 sacks is a lot to ask for though.

It's obvious that Star is really good, but anything over maybe 6 sacks is very, very difficult for the 1 tech d-tackle. That said, he has already made a few plays that just make you say "wow", so who knows...in any case it will be fun watching him.

As an aside, I just watched the Atlanta/Miami game. If our d-line plays anything like they played against the Giants, Ryan is going to spend a lot of time on his ass. And as for the Dolphins, Tannehill is susceptible to the strip sack, so CJ should have a good day.

Our front 7 is good enough to take us places. Rivera just needs to coach like there's no tomorrow.

Looking at stats you can see "trends" if you follow them.

The Panthers gathered up 7 Sacks on Eli? but over 2 other games gathered only 3 sacks on the other QB's.

Eli isn't really "mobile".

Wilson can move.

Manual can move.

Out of the QB's left to play on the schedule,  (granted I think it would be better to have a larger sample size) as stated before the season... "Our Dline is going to eat up the 'statue' QB's this season". There are more of those type of Qb's in the league than "mobile" ones at the moment. And not to say it'll happen to all of them. But, as of right now the "stats" show a trend towards what we thought about the Dline and front 7 overall.

Here's hope'n that the secondary can make liars out of the people that said they will be the weakest link on defense. Because currently, even with injuries, they are doing pretty well. 

(Now, before I get torn up, I know the pressure up front makes the secondary look better. but, the pass coverage has had to be decent enough to get the pressure that has been placed on the QB's so far. I mean, how many times did Wilson move and make a play because he was getting pressured and had nowhere to throw until the play broke down?)

Here's hope'n the trend continues in our teams favor.

Some trends are already developing in stats and basically if you are giving up sacks now, with probably your best o-line, then chances are you will be giving up sacks later.  Especially when you consider some guys get benched and some get injured.

Point is that statistics like that will hopefully bode well for us.  Statuesque QBs are a vanishing breed.  10 years ago 12 out of the 13 teams would have classic pocket passers who tend to step up into the pocket.  Now its only 8.

Another stat...we are 1-2 and have lost to 2 teams with mobile QBs and the d-line only got 3 sacks in 2 games.  They were actually pretty great against Seattle.  Not too impressive vs. Buffalo.  So if that stat holds true, we will win 8 of the next 13 and finish at 9-7.

We are also still 0-2 in games decided by 7 points or less.  Do you think we are going to shut out 8 more teams?  So...we need to find a way to win 1) when our d-line doesn't dominate and 2) when we are protecting a lead in the 4th quarter.

That said...I like our chances against any team that has a pocket passer QB.  Ryan and Brees will feel the wrath...that makes me happy.

Archived