• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Could Dave Gettleman's plans for the Panthers future not include Cam Newton"

PantherPhann89

It's a legitimate possibility.

Gettleman wouldn't be the first GM to give an existing coach one year to sink or swim. Heck, Phil Emery canned Lovie Smith after a winning season.

A new coach is very likely next year, and it's not exactly unheard of for new coaches to want new quarterbacks.

Still, even with a coaching change, I see Cam Newton as the quarterback of the Panthers in 2014.

Beyond that, I admit I'm not as certain.

I feel the same as you.

He will certainly be the starter in 14, and most likely going forward, but if he doesn't show that he is progressing as a passer the rest of this year and next, I am not as sure about 15.

I want him here long term, but I am not thrilled about a 100 million $ contract. I'm not sold yet that Cam will be good enough (Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees) to spend that cap figure on him and ignore the rest of the team (Flacco, Roethlisberger, Manning 2).

Hogan will be the second best QB in this draft, if he declares. David Fales will also be a quality player. Both better than the likes of Mettenberger, Murray, etc.

But, this is not the topic for that. I think Gettleman has intentionally not filled holes to see if Cam could elevate the team around him. Great players make other players great.

However, whether it's a lack of talent (the most likely scenario) or the fact Cam can't put the entire team on his back and carry them, that's what DG has to decide.

What I hate, though, is we all already have a feeling DG is going for one of those Giants coaches. That staff, other than Coughlin and Gilbride (who has said he doesn't want to be a head coach) have not developed anything. They haven't been able to replace their talent, and now they're falling apart.

i just cannot see how somebody would give up on Cam this quickly when he has played with a poo O-line for 2 years and we have 0 offensive drafted players playing with Cam right now.

i hope we don't give up on a Cam because it's going to be a long fuging process again.

I agree with this, and I do not think we will give up on him until 2014 ends.  We will surround him with talent next year,  Personally, I do not think he will ever be great. He flashes and amazes and the fans overreact.  There are too many missing ingredients.  I would not be surprised to see us draft a QB this year, especially if Rivera is canned.  Fingers are crossed, but I am not optimistic.

Hogan will be the second best QB in this draft, if he declares. David Fales will also be a quality player. Both better than the likes of Mettenberger, Murray, etc.

What I hate, though, is we all already have a feeling DG is going for one of those Giants coaches. That staff, other than Coughlin and Gilbride (who has said he doesn't want to be a head coach) have not developed anything. They haven't been able to replace their talent, and now they're falling apart.

Great comment.  Hogan is pretty dang good.  I would love to have him.  I think he could be #1 overall if he comes out---people are just learning about him.

If you know NFL QBs on winning teams and compare similarities between them, you should identify the areas where Cam has deficiencies. Think with your head and not your heart. Gettlemen wears 2 rings and wants only a ring to feel successful. Good. What have the Super Bowl winning teams had in common:

Ben Rothleisberger

Eli Manning

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Joe Flacco

Most of these were multiple winners of Super Bowls. Note that there are not many running QBs on this list. Where are these runnning QBs? Michael Vick has 0 rings. Randall Cunningham has 0 rings. Fran Tarkenton has 0 rings. Jake Locker, RGIII, Colin Kaepernick, Vince Young--they get figured out. In the NFL nothing at the QB position beats intelligence and accuracy.

accuracy, intelligence, and mobility are not mutually exclusive

thats why i think the best and easiest route is to stick with Cam and add pieces that bring out his positives instead of wasting a FIRST ROUND pick on a new qb.

Get him a line and some big-bodied weapons and see what happens.

On general principle, I'm okay with spending a first rounder on a quarterback IF other issues are address via free agency and other high picks.

You gotta remember, we'll likely have a new coach next season.  And a new coach may not necessarily be on board with Newton.

(no, I don't think commitment to Newton will be a criteria of the hire)

I feel the same as you.

He will certainly be the starter in 14, and most likely going forward, but if he doesn't show that he is progressing as a passer the rest of this year and next, I am not as sure about 15.

I want him here long term, but I am not thrilled about a 100 million $ contract. I'm not sold yet that Cam will be good enough (Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees) to spend that cap figure on him and ignore the rest of the team (Flacco, Roethlisberger, Manning 2).

Even with the surrounding circumstances being issues, I'd be pretty nervous about throwing a hundred million dollar contract at Newton right now.  Hate to say that, but objectively speaking, there's still a lot we don't know.

Gotta believe seeing him under a new system would tell us a lot.

Also, DG has to weigh what Cam is worth to the future of this team from a play standpoint and a trade standpoint. If he's able to fleece a team (and all indications are that a starting QB brings in high future draft picks).

Also, DG has to weigh what Cam is worth to the future of this team from a play standpoint and a trade standpoint. If he's able to fleece a team (and all indications are that a starting QB brings in high future draft picks).

A Newton trade would bring this site down for days.

It'd go down again as soon as the pick for his replacement was made.

I think that more than anything else, it's going to come down to how DG wants to try to build a Championship team.

Does he want to build the D to be stifling, and run a WCO to control time of possession and limit turnovers? (bad for Cam)

Does he want to build the O up and run a  Coryell type O and try to outscore everyone? (good for Cam)

Cam does not fit all offenses, and the coaches that we see DG bring in will tell us what he plans to do.  That's IF JR stays out of it....and I'm doubting that he will.

I agree with this, and I do not think we will give up on him until 2014 ends.  We will surround him with talent next year,  Personally, I do not think he will ever be great. He flashes and amazes and the fans overreact.  There are too many missing ingredients.  I would not be surprised to see us draft a QB this year, especially if Rivera is canned.  Fingers are crossed, but I am not optimistic.

i tend to look at it this way for a comparison. I went to high school my freshman year at a school that had a shitty baseball program. I had talent, the coaches were poo and for the most part the players around me were poo. I transfered schools where the coach was a starter for a D-1 school in NC, was an excellent coach and the players around me eventually all got scholarships to D-1 and D-2 schools. The coach maximized the talent on that team and I got a scholarship to play baseball in college. I have feelings that if i had stayed at the former school this wouldn't have been the case. Losing culture, losing mentality.

I think Cam is in that kind of place right now. We have a practice squad player starting at right guard, a UDFA starting at right tackle and now a 34 year old vet who just had his knee repaired. We have an aging WR who should be a #2, brandon lafell who would be a 3 or 4 on a lot of other teams and a kick returner who has shined with Cam. Regardless if you think he is missing ingrediants, he hasn't been surrounded by talent to excel his game. A lot of people say the qb should elevate the games of others but i look around the league and Tom Brady is the only qb that i see that does this. And i believe its because he has superior coaching and he is tom fuging brady. I think Cam can become otherworldy in other ways if we get the right coaching staff and draft well and sign well. I think those are the missing ingrediants. I think Cam can start to gain more confidence, and i believe he has the will and know how to do it. He had been pretty consistent up until the Cards game and the meltdown commenced. 22 tds and 4 picks in those post 10 games with a 95 QBR is pretty consistent and not flashy.

I think that more than anything else, it's going to come down to how DG wants to try to build a Championship team.

Does he want to build the D to be stifling, and run a WCO to control time of possession and limit turnovers? (bad for Cam)

Does he want to build the O up and run a  Coryell type O and try to outscore everyone? (good for Cam)

Cam does not fit all offenses, and the coaches that we see DG bring in will tell us what he plans to do.  That's IF JR stays out of it....and I'm doubting that he will.

This is something I really think the "get an offensive coach" crowd needs to thoughtfully consider.

The top offensive coach prospects right now (Tom Clements, Greg Roman) are guys who have West Coast Offense backgrounds.  It's well known that Newton's skill set doesn't fit well in a WCO scheme.  Hence, those guys are arguably more likely to move on from Newton than a defensive coach who brings in an OC with a Coryell background.

Anybody thinking Gettleman is going to bring in someone who'll run a college style, read option type attack needs to look up his comments on that type of offense.

http://scores.nbcsports.msnbc.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=110

Remember, going into the 4th quarter we have been in every game--less than a TD or leading--There are lesser qb's on this list than Cam Newton.  Cam is somewhere in the bottom 12.  His QB rating is terrible in the fourth quarter---lower than the other 3 quarters when he had the same OL and WRs. 

Can you find QBs on this list with a weak line and below average WRs? 

Why is Cam worse in the fourth quarter?  Is it because the clock comes into play--adding pressure and eliminating his run option more?  2 minute drills do not feature much read option or even play action--it requires a QB to manage the game, sit in the pocket, read defenses, etc.

2-14 is no coincidence.  If we are to win, we better wrap it up in the first 3 quarters.

Stop blaming the OL and WRs--sure they could be better.  Manning is 37 years old and his LT and C are out for the year.  His other linemen are castoffs and low draft picks.  His WR corps is average at best. Sure he added Weiker, but Smitty is better.  Was Lafell better than Decker 2 years ago?  About the same. Manning has a speed WR with a history of inconsistent hands.  We have Ginn, a first round pick.  Why is Mannng's qb rating 149 in the fourth quarter and Cam can't crack the top 20? 

Must be the coaching, the oline, the unusual amount of rain we got this summer, the government lock down, Jupiter and Uranus are aligned, racism, and the fact that we don't wear all black enough.

This offseason:  Manning was watching hundreds of hours of film and developing chemistry with his WRs by throwing to them.

What was Cam doing?  Leading the crowd at Auburn basketball games. Icon and entertainer, yes.  Franchise QB?  What makes anyone think he is?

Now ignore the stats that matter (QB rating, wins/losses) and blame external variables that you cannot prove.  I assure you that Gettlemen will not do that.

If we had a true pocket passer with this team, let me just say we would hold or be very close to holding the QB most sacked record (at least in those first years of Cam's for sure).

I'm fine with them coming to a happy medium of getting Cam to be more comfortable and quick in the pocket. But, I never want them to take away his legs completely - I hate watching statue QB's who just sit and take sacks when they could run and get like 20 yards themselves.

Archived