• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Duke TIP program. Worth the effort or wasted money

g5jamz

I was in TIP.

Basically, they send you to a high school in your area to take the SAT or whatever the kids are taking nowadays and see how you do. You do it the same day as the high school kids. Then they want you to buy a book listing your acheivements and recognition as even being a part of the TIP.

It was intimidating to me, as I had to go to Broughton to take mine (I went to Clayton schools) without anyone I knew and an obvious kid in a room full of high schoolers. I didn't even really try and wanted to get the hell out of there and spend my Saturday doing something more productive for my 7th grade self like playing video games. I didn't even care, and I don't really remember them doing much to try and get me prepared or whatever.

It was a waste of my time, and I felt like it was only something created to make kids coming out of the AG program (it ended in the 6th grade when I was in school) feel included in some sort of "smarter" organization.

my 5th grader did it. was invited to go to Duke but we couldn't swing it. i would avoid laying down some cash but do the tests parts you can to get a deeper barometer of where your kid is at.

if you have a daughter get her in field hockey etc to increase your chances at a scholarship due to Title IX.

btw- 5th grader scored at 8th and 9th grade levels. mini pstall...lol

My youngest son  took it last year as a 7th grader scored 1380. We  will see how this plays out for him in the next couple years. Oldest son took it also in the 7th but I can't remember how he did. He's top 10 in his class of over 300 and has done very well, we've been bombarded this year with college material in the mail

I think it's worth it

Don't see how it could help. My parents didn't want me to do it for whatever reason, and I still got all of those recruitment letters and things. I think a lot of that has more to do with the PSAT tests than some sort of TIP program. I honestly couldn't even tell you what it does to help.

You can take an SAT no matter who you are I'm pretty sure, so just let your kid take it later on regardless of whether he's in the program or not. It would ultimately help to take it before senior/junior year of high school, but this early can't do that much to help I imagine.

Also, the SAT is an overrated measure anyways. I got a perfect score on the multiple choice portion of the writing section, yet when I had to the pen to the paper and actually write something, I got graded a 7/12.

Just because you know a lot about something doesn't mean you can apply it. I mean, what really does it mean that you can find the error in a sentence, or you can press buttons on your calculator really fast? And same goes for vice versa. Are you actually not smart and unworthy of going to college because you are meticulous (and subsequently slower) with your readings or your math calculations?

It was all multiple choice when I took it.

Two sections: math (which was really easy- like 80% geometry and 20% pre-algebra) and verbal (I remember a lot of weird vocabulary words that even phillyb would struggle with and some comprehension)

I don't remember my scores, but my math score was a lot higher than verbal. (I've always been a math savant)

I was selected to take the SAT in 7th grade, but my mom was all like "I'm not paying $30 so you can take a test"

Archived