• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Has Smitty ever gone on record about how long he wants to play?

Awesomeness!!

Man, if Smitty had been given a shot at WR a bit earlier in his career, not had to put up with a lot of the bad QB play he's had, or not completely missed 2004 to injury (which probably would've been similar to his 2005 year) then he'd be a lock if he retired 3 years from now (hell, maybe even if he retired this year).  Not to mention being in a run first offense his entire career and little to no help at the #2 WR spot for most of it.  Then there's the trouble he got in with teammates that took like 5 games away from his prime years.

I feel sorry for the dude sometimes, and it's one of the main reasons I respect the hell out of the man.  As great as he's been, I can't help but think his career could've been so much more.  He did all this being barely 5'9" and expectations of just being a good return man.

Yeah, I'ma cry when he hangs 'em up.

The thought alone makes me want to cry. I haven't heard or read anything about Smittys plans as far as leaving goes, so if anybody knows please post here. I was thinking if we win the Super Bowl he may just hang then up. You have to figure that he wouldn't have anything else to prove, and would have a 50/50 shot at the HOF.

He said he wants to be top ten in ever major wide receiver category. Couple more years.

He's chasing numbers. That's his #1 focus right now. Monday on WFNZ a caller asked how long he wanted to play. He said he wasn't sure exactly how long but he he wants 1,000 receptions and 14,000 yards and that he doesn't play for the money anymore, it's all about chasing numbers for him.

Then the host asked if he is okay with his limited role and targets now since the team is winning. He said winning is nice and helps ease the frustration of not getting the ball but ultimately he wants the ball more because his focus is chasing numbers.

The next caller talked about all the players who have restructured and asked if he would take a pay cut and if he wants to remain a Panther to the end. And also if he planned to stay in Charlotte after football. Steve said a few years ago he and Angie talked about moving back to the west coast but ultimately decided against it. He said he loves NC and this area is all his children know. The move would've been going back home for Angie and himself, but for his kids this is home. He said his house is paid for and once he hangs up the cleats Charlotte will remain home. Then he said he is under contract through 2014, with a 2015-16 option, and he would not restructure under any circumstance, but once his contract is up he would take a significant cut because it's not about the money anymore. He said whether he is playing for Carolina or elsewhere after his contract ends it's about numbers for him, he doesn't need money. If Carolina offers him another contract great, if not he'll go somewhere else and keep chasing his goals.

He's chasing numbers. That's his #1 focus right now. Monday on WFNZ a caller asked how long he wanted to play. He said he wasn't sure exactly how long but he he wants 1,000 receptions and 14,000 yards and that he doesn't play for the money anymore, it's all about chasing numbers for him.

Then the host asked if he is okay with his limited role and targets now since the team is winning. He said winning is nice and helps ease the frustration of not getting the ball but ultimately he wants the ball more because his focus is chasing numbers.

The next caller talked about all the players who have restructured and asked if he would take a pay cut and if he wants to remain a Panther to the end. And also if he planned to stay in Charlotte after football. Steve said a few years ago he and Angie talked about moving back to the west coast but ultimately decided against it. He said he loves NC and this area is all his children know. The move would've been going back home for Angie and himself, but for his kids this is home. He said his house is paid for and once he hangs up the cleats Charlotte will remain home. Then he said he is under contract through 2014, with a 2015-16 option, and he would not restructure under any circumstance, but once his contract is up he would take a significant cut because it's not about the money anymore. He said whether he is playing for Carolina or elsewhere after his contract ends it's about numbers for him, he doesn't need money. If Carolina offers him another contract great, if not he'll go somewhere else and keep chasing his goals.

This about sums it up......I don't know how much longer he will play but it's obvious he is preparing for his days after football with his current radio gig.

I think Gross would be talked into at least one more year by Kalil, Smitty, Cam, etc if we win the Super Bowl.

He's still only 33, relatively healthy, and playing at a high level.

It would be huge to have him a few more years to groom a couple of young tackles and plug a spot until they are ready. Plus we will be the defending champions and having him back will be crucial to defending that title.

I think Gross would be talked into at least one more year by Kalil, Smitty, Cam, etc if we win the Super Bowl.

He's still only 33, relatively healthy, and playing at a high level.

It would be huge to have him a few more years to groom a couple of young tackles and plug a spot until they are ready. Plus we will be the defending champions and having him back will be crucial to defending that title.

At the beginning of the year there was a prediction thread and one of my predictions was that Gross would retire after the season. If we win the SB there might be a chance of that but if we don't I doubt it will happen. There is too much positive momentum here for him to stop playing.

Sent from my DROID4 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived