• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roger Goodell's 2013 Salary

Darth Biscuit

His actual salary is much lower. Read the article.

A committee that includes several N.F.L. owners — among them Kraft, Arthur Blank of the Atlanta Falcons and Jerry Richardson of the Carolina Panthers — sets Goodell’s compensation, which included just $3.5 million in salary.

Most of his compensation comes from the annual dues that each team pays to cover the league’s operating expenses, including salaries. Some of it also comes from N.F.L. Ventures, a for-profit subsidiary that handles the league’s marketing, media and other businesses.

With that salary he can lay off these fine amounts, I believe the players do more work making the game interesting than he does, especially as of the last seasons. Yes, its typical CEO pay but doesnt make it justified compared to others who put in much more work for smaller income. 

Pretty sure Goodell uses fines in an attempt to promote player safety. Not sure why him getting paid a lot means he should stop fining players for endangering other players?

You would think we have some millionaires on the huddle the way people are falling over themselves to defend his salary.

To be honest, I don't think it has to do with how much money someone personally has, it's just a simple difference of philosophy.

Most left-leaning people think the best way to make more people successful is to punish those who are successful and subsidize those who are not. Most right-leaning people think the best way to make more people successful is to reward people for being successful and giving those who are not every opportunity to work hard and become successful.

Guest Dark Knight

Roger Goodell is the CEO of a fortune 500 company with an annual income exceeding $10,000,000,000 and his salary is only $3,500,000.

People bitching about this are a) proof that some people will bash certain individuals (Goodell, Newton, LeBron, etc) no matter what, b) most have no idea how businesses work, c) no rich man ever deserves a penny of his earnings.

Oh yeah, I mean clearly replacing Roger Goodell would be much more difficult than replacing a guy like Peyton Manning

Exactly. I'm sure there are other people with comparable experience/resumes to Goodell who could run the NFL and bring in a comparable level of profit for the owners. Not saying running the NFL isn't difficult, or anyone could do it, but his resume probably isn't so singularly unique that he's the ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD who can do his job and therefore that justifies his salary (although I realize part of it was a bonus for ending the lockout).

Quoted so everyone can understand how these people who complain about high-figure salaries think.

Answer: With lots of ignorance.

I didn't phrase what I meant to say correctly. I'm sure it takes a lot of work to run the NFL, and for as much as we complain about him, Goodell has done a good job maximizing revenue for owners. And because its a lot of work, and very, very few people would be capable of running the NFL, Goodell's skills are in high demand, and should be paid accordingly, ie millions of dollars.

But I have a hard time accepting that running the NFL is more difficult or takes more skill than running a Fortune 100 company. Professional football is in high demand. Short of a lockout, no matter what Goodell does, the NFL will turn a yearly profit. In other words, I'm not sure why Goodell should be paid more than most Fortune 100 CEOs. And you can't just say "because its a $90B business," because 1) that ignores the management contributions of individual NFL teams and owners and 2) still doesn't justify what Goodell specifically does that others with upper level executive experience couldn't do that makes him worth that salary.

They do make profits but are precluded from distributing the profits in shares.

Aside from this, no pro team should be allowed tax exempt status, it is ridiculous.

The NFL League Office is what is tax exempt. It doesn't really make any money. All the revenue goes to the teams and they pay taxes. The pro teams are not tax exempt.

Politicians keep telling us that the NFL isn't paying taxes on $9B per year. They are either very confused or lying. They are also spending a lot of time trying to change a tax status that would not raise any more taxes

Every dollar of income that is earned in the National Football League – from game tickets, television rights fees, jersey sales and national sponsorships – is subject to tax. None of this income is shielded in a tax-exempt entity. Instead, the NFL’s 32 clubs pay tax on all of these revenues.

Claims that the NFL is using a tax exemption to avoid paying the tax due on these revenues are simply misinformed. The confusion arises from the fact that there is one small part of the NFL, unrelated to all this business activity, that is tax-exempt: the NFL League Office. The league office is the administrative and organizational arm of the NFL and does things like write the rules of the game, hire referees, run the college draft, negotiate the collective bargaining agreement with the players, conduct player safety research, and run youth football programs.

Because the league office does not receive income from game tickets, television contracts and the like, its tax exemption does not apply to any of the profits earned in the NFL overall. All the money-making activity is conducted by the for-profit, taxable teams. The NFL has never contended that its business activity is a nonprofit endeavor.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2013/11/30/29twotakesspector

Exactly. I'm sure there are other people with comparable experience/resumes to Goodell who could run the NFL and bring in a comparable level of profit for the owners. Not saying running the NFL isn't difficult, or anyone could do it, but his resume probably isn't so singularly unique that he's the ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD who can do his job and therefore that justifies his salary (although I realize part of it was a bonus for ending the lockout).

I didn't phrase what I meant to say correctly. I'm sure it takes a lot of work to run the NFL, and for as much as we complain about him, Goodell has done a good job maximizing revenue for owners. And because its a lot of work, and very, very few people would be capable of running the NFL, Goodell's skills are in high demand, and should be paid accordingly, ie millions of dollars.

But I have a hard time accepting that running the NFL is more difficult or takes more skill than running a Fortune 100 company. Professional football is in high demand. Short of a lockout, no matter what Goodell does, the NFL will turn a yearly profit. In other words, I'm not sure why Goodell should be paid more than most Fortune 100 CEOs. And you can't just say "because its a $90B business," because 1) that ignores the management contributions of individual NFL teams and owners and 2) still doesn't justify what Goodell specifically does that others with upper level executive experience couldn't do that makes him worth that salary.

Goodell doesn't make more than top Fortune 500 CEOs. 90% of a corporate CEOs earnings come from options and restricted stock units. Most of these stock options vest over an extended period and don't show up as a CEOs salary. Make no mistake, CEOs of the larger Fortune 500 companies are making this kind of money. Go read a companies annual report or proxy to see a CEOs actual earnings; you will be surprised.

Also, I bet the 40 million figure for Goodell is his total compensation that likely includes side ventures he has on his own.

Archived