• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panther's Cap at $19-$21M not $29M

PantherFeez

Why would you give more guaranteed money to people you intend to cut in 2 years? that doesn't look like smart business to me.

I agree Gettleman has to do these moves, it's the only thing you can do (the alternative would be to give the season away and eat all the bad contract this year), but you have to be selective: Kalil was a smart move because he's still young (for a OL) and is a core player but why do it with Stewart and Davis? Both old and/or injury prone.

CJ would be a smarter move (still 27), Olsen as well. Tolbert could be another option only if the staff starts to give him more than 6 touches per game.

Restructuring doesn't change the money unless you change the basic terms of the contract.  It just converts some of this years salary into a signing bonus to allow you to reduce the cap by spreading part of this year's salary over a few years. It does raise the dead cap amount if you cut them somewhat but not that much. Stewart is going to be here regardless given he would cost almost 18 million in dead cap space to cut in 2014 and 12 million in 2015.  Now in 2016 you can cut Stewart and his dead cap hit even given the restructures is a manageable 6 million in 2016.

You wouldn't for example restructure Olsen given his contract only runs through 2015 and you wouldn't save that much by restructuring.  If you see him as a core component of the offense you would extend him for a few years which allows you to keep him locked up and to reduce his cap hit this year as well as mange the cap for the next several years.

Likewise with Johnson a restructure is likely but it raises his dead cap money from 6 million next year to whatever the amortised amount will be when his salary is converted this year.  Right now we can dump Johnson in 2016 with no dead money cap hit. So if he restructures or not might tell us whether they are in our long term plans or not.

I have a very bad feeling we are gong to take not one but 20 steps back this year. Losing Gross and not even having enough money to keep the same players as last year does not spell a good fortune. Its why DG was tempering everyone's enthusiasm early this year.

Holes at WR,LT,LG,RG,CB, and Safety. I am relaxed in knowing this year will be a up hill battle.

Lg? What happened to silatolu? He was above average before his injury on a line without pro bowl center Ryan Kalil. Safety will be fine with the resigning of mike Mitchell and Robert Lester starting. Rg is a weaker position too but I wouldn't say its a whole bc more then half of the guys on our oline roster can play rg. Including a converted dt

Lg? What happened to silatolu? He was above average before his injury on a line without pro bowl center Ryan Kalil. Safety will be fine with the resigning of mike Mitchell and Robert Lester starting. Rg is a weaker position too but I wouldn't say its a whole bc more then half of the guys on our oline roster can play rg. Including a converted dt

Did you even watch games last year? I will give you Mitchell but Lester was far from the performance of a starting FS. Also people forget just how bad Amini was. Our left side only got better when he went down and Wharton was inserted. This year we will not have Gross who if anyone had watched was still a top 10 LT even after losing a step. Add that to the rest of our holes and the loss of Hardy we have a worse team not the same one.

Did you even watch games last year? I will give you Mitchell but Lester was far from the performance of a starting FS. Also people forget just how bad Amini was. Our left side only got better when he went down and Wharton was inserted. This year we will not have Gross who if anyone had watched was still a top 10 LT even after losing a step. Add that to the rest of our holes and the loss of Hardy we have a worse team not the same one.

No I did not watch a single game last year. Go back and watch Lester play. He made a few mistakes but also made rest plays like getting ints

Archived