• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to Stop Being a Cynical Asshole (all assholes welcome)

Jangler

Usually this would be something I would post in the lounge, but I thought maybe a few more people needed to read this.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-stop-being-a-cynical-asshole-1537302138

A cynical asshole is a special breed of person. You likely know the type if you're not one yourself. A true cynic distrusts everything new they see or hear, they're intolerant to new ideas, and they're pessimistic about everything. They're not skeptics. That's a positive trait. They're the downers of the group whose self-righteousness tends to bring everyone else down, too.

As with most things like this, the first step is admitting you have a problem. To override this thought process, take some time to reflect and admit you're being a cynical asshole. When you catch yourself taking the default stance of negativity, make note of it and think about it. If you're anything like me, you'll realize how much you sound like a whiny baby.

I've noticed that the less time I focus on my snarky, cynical responses, the more likely I'll have an actually useful idea. I also tend to pay more attention to the world around me and stop to appreciate the creativity of others.

Like most things in life, it's about balance. When you find yourself being cynical about everything, then it's time to take a closer look at how you're interacting with the world.

Archived