• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers "lurking" on James Jones

Catalyst

We need at least two proven vet WRs and at least one OT.  Sign Nicks, James, and Oher and I'll feel a lot better.

While there are still decent WRs left in free agency, we missed our chance at left tackle.  Ravens are glad to get rid of Oher.  Best we can do is hope for a serviceable stopgap or help in the draft.

it's not like Gettleman's approach has worked in the past or anything

Last year we had a #1 WR, a #2 WR, and a starting LT. The positions that needed filling were positions you could expect to bargain hunt for and come out pretty decent: Kick returner, safety, K, DT. Also, it's unrealistic to expect to catch lightning in a bottle every single year. I'm not ok gambling our franchise QBs future on bargain bin talent at LT and WR.

Last year we had a #1 WR, a #2 WR, and a starting LT. The positions that needed filling were positions you could expect to bargain hunt for and come out pretty decent: Kick returner, safety, K, DT. Also, it's unrealistic to expect to catch lightning in a bottle every single year. I'm not ok gambling our franchise QBs future on bargain bin talent at LT and WR.

He had those things last year, but we did have other needs (DT, S, CB) that he shored up.

LT and WR1 are marquee positions, stopgaps are dangerous.

I don't disagree (especially with LT) but our options are rather limited. I think we find one in the 1st round, but we need to find the other in FA to be sure we have both spots locked up. Nicks and Penn would be great, but I'm starting to wonder if we're serious about Nicks. Penn... who knows?

I'm starting to think Gettleman has a trade on the back burner that nobody will see coming to shore up one of these spots. He's said all along upgrading the WR corp. and OL were priorities and yet we're worse off now than we were. OL you can say might have been unexpected, but the purging of the WR corp. was absolutely by design, IMO, short of Ginn leaving.

I don't think Gettleman would have done this without some sort of plan to address WR.

And now, outside of DT and K, we're even worse off at those positions while also needing anywhere from 2-4 WRs (including #1) and starting LT.

I'm not concerned about the secondary. We can find affordable guys to plug in and get good results with our front 7 if we have to. I agree WR/OT are major concerns.

If Gettleman can pull it off, GREAT. But he needs to fill WR1, WR2, WR3, at least two OL spots with FA, and find a FA CB. He has the Draft too, of course, but can he also fill in holes with scraps that equate to a 12-4 team? No one doubts he can "fill the holes" in general. But the more you let "better" talent go somewhere else, your overall team gets worse. Meanwhile, Playoff teams are getting better. We, are not.

This is NOT the same team right now that went 12-4. We all know it takes time for rookies to get up to speed and for the OL guys to gel. A good way to handle that is with the best talent you can find. Losing Smith, Gross, Mitchell, Cap'n, Ginn, LaFell (for now) and others is a very massive hole. He really has his work cut out for himself to get this team back to where it was. 

Archived