• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Big Bowl of Sanity

Zod

From the looks of things on the Huddle as of late, I feel an intervention is needed. Today I actually read a theory that GM David Gettleman is actually purposefully sabotaging the team. It is official - the Huddle has lost its mind.

Let us take a step back from the conspiracy theories, conjecture, and embellishment.

There seems to be three main areas of concern, I will address them individually.

Myth #1 – The Panthers have no offensive line.
The Panthers currently have 4 of the 5 starting offensive lineman that the Panthers started training camp with last season. The retirement of Jordan Gross being the only change. Bell, Silotolu, Kalil, Williams, all remain on the roster. The sudden rash of retirements like Jeff Byers and Geoff Hangartner weren't a shock, in fact, they retired because they knew they would not be on the Panthers roster again. The loss of Jordan Gross is significant, but it isn't the end of the world. His play was no longer elite, but above average. Finding an above average left tackle is not an impossible task for David Gettleman considering it is only March. The bigger concern is the leadership on the line that will need filled. I believe Ryan Kalil is more than ready to step in.

Myth #2 – The Panthers have cut all of their wide receivers and are ignoring that need.
The 2013 Panthers wide receivers corps were less than stellar, to put it nicely. One good indication of such is TE Greg Olsen, who remains on the roster, was the leading receiver. Thats right, the Panthers leading receiver is still on the roster. Say that over and over again until you feel better.
Steve Smith's release, while heartbreaking and handled terribly, was necessary. Receivers decline quickly when in their mid 30s, and Steve had shown signs of such two years ago. Allowing his contract to continue another year would have made it more difficult to sign core young players all while not guaranteeing an adequate return on investment this season. Gettleman made a tough call, but it was the correct one.
Ted Ginn was exciting to watch, but fans forget the many drops he had that could have gone for long gains. Panthers fans are so thirsty for even average wide receiver play they forget what good receiver play looks like. I would be all in favor for keeping Ginn at a low price, but he is now being over paid in Arizona. You can't fault Gettleman for that.
Brandon Lafell? He may be back. The fact that no one else in the league is even interested tells you all you need to know. Vet minimum? Yep.
All in all, it won't be difficult for Gettleman to match the production of the 2013 wide receivers in 2014. Why? Because there isn't much production to match.

Myth #3 – The loss of Mike Mitchell and Captain Munnerlyn is devastating.
Satus: FALSE
I like Mike Mitchell. I think he is a fine safety. I also think Pittsburgh is going to be very disappointed in the return they get for their high dollar investment in him. Without the Panthers stellar front seven, Mitchell will be an average safety for them making above average money.
The Panthers were please with Robert Lester last season and still have Charles Godfrey under contract. Panthers fans have yet to see how Godfrey performs when the Panthers have featured their current front 7. My guess is he will benefit as much as Mike Mitchell did, maybe even more. We could see Godfrey rise to a new level.
Captain Munnerlyn is an average corner at best, and maybe an above average nickel. He was a liability last season on many downs, most notably against San Francisco. Melvin White and Josh Thomas both will play at a higher level than Munnerlyn in 2014, and at a smaller price tag.

So sit back, take a deep breath, and relax.

Dave's got this.

The Smitty deal and the "appearance" of the Panthers not doing much led to the hysteria... but all in all, Zod is right.

I was not and am not pleased with how they handled the Smitty situation, mainly the PR side of it, not the fact that they released him, but what's done is done.

Now, having said that... if they sign Roman Harper, I won't like it.  I know, I know... good of the team and all that... I agree, but that guy is a dick and I can't cheer for him.

Saying "Dave's got this," is as much (if not more) of a conjecture as saying he doesn't. What makes you so sure he's "got this"?

Don't get me wrong I think we will be okay. All that I'm saying is that Gettleman hasn't done anything yet, so it's really hard to act like he's "got this".

agreed with most every thing, tho i don't wan to see godfrey play another down in a panthers uni, mainly because of the price tag not being worth the production. we can find at least equal talent for much cheaper. we need that money elsewhere.

Thanks Zod, it was about time you made a statement like this. Many of us could have written the same, but most on here really only listen to folks like you. I can`t believe what was going on here the last three days and especially yesterday. We are three days into FA and most on here lose their mind, jump off the bandwagon, get nto GMans face and predict a top 5 pick in 2015. I hope this awful BS stops now and poeple learn to trust the guys that are in charge and know how to handle a NFL front office.

Delete this topic! Your far too rational Zod haha.

I'd like to add to that, mitchell bought a new found attitude To the defence but also led the league for safeties in 18 missed tackles, he was solid but not worth what the steelers threw at him, he can be replaced imo by a 3rd or fourth round draft pick.

Munnerlyn had a good year probably his best as a panther, but again he's a nickel corner and can be replaced by a draftee or FA.

Jordan Gross is the toughest loss for me, whilst him and kalil were the only two elite players left for cam too work with he did lose a step but one more year out of him would have been huge for us to settle in his drafted replacment at RT.

Smitty is just a pure legend but for Cam to mature and evolve he had to hand over the reigns of this offense to Cam, so his departure is probably the best thing to have happend going forward, we also can take the hit now and not carry over a lot of dead money next year which has basically and unoticably killed the panthers FA plans this year with all the money carried over from beason etc.

Whilst it's going to take time I do think DG has a plan and it's longterm, he was part of 8 SB teams so he knows what it takes, I understand people are emotionally drained at the moment but that's why he's our GM because you have to make those decisions and disconnect! Fans just have to wait it out.

This has been my position all along. I just haven't understood the crying over mediocre players signing else where. When you have 20+ UFAs you can expect some major turnover.

The biggest point Zod left out is...

We haven't signed any good FAs: false

We locked up arguably one of the top FA players when we tagged Hardy. Showing that our priority is to keep the young core together and continue to build.

His main contributions?

- Drafting Star, which anyone would have done in his spot.

- Signing Mitchell, Ginn, Mikell, Cole and Wharton. All of which are, or likely will be, gone.

- Not firing Rivera, a good move, so I'll give credit where it is due

Archived