• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Teammate on Steve Smith Release

Catalyst

Smith asked to have a #1 brought in but his ego could never handle it. His words were always different than his actions

I'm having a difficult time thinking of any of those guys as a number one receiver.  :)

I wonder what Keyshawn Johnson thinks about all this--seriously. 

Here's the rest of the list:

1996 - Muhsin Muhammad (2)

1996 - Donald Barker (7)

1997 - Rae Carruth (1)

1998 - Donald Hayes (4)

1998 - Jim Turner (7)

2001 - Steve Smith (3)

Rae Carruth was a lousy receiver before he was a killer, and Donald Hayes was a serviceable #2 at best (what people think LaFell is now).  Maybe another issue in all this is that we're just not that good at drafting receivers? 

RR was with him 3 years and Gettlemen 1.....they inherited him. That isn't putting up with it for that long

Also a couple players have made standard posts on twitter.....but have any players actually shown that much outrage/shock? Kasay probably got more and he was K

i didn't expect any outrage in twitter lol that would be ridiculous. (although lafell is one that showed some). But just hearing a/b the interviews from ppl like Hardy & Deangelo basically saying it would be "ridiculous & absurd to cut him while also detrimental to the loker room", said alot imo. I figured the prt about Gettleman coming in & deciding he just wasn't gonna deal w/ it but ill tell u wat...At the end of the day what is most important to those guys (Cam ecsp) is that they win games! & they have all attributed what he brings to the table to helping them do that. So if you believe that they would have found it worth it to go from 12&4 last season to 7-9 next season just so they didnt have to "deal" w/ Smith in the locker room then...ok

Guest Dark Knight

They're going to need a bigger tree.

I said it in another thread. The reasons we love him as a fiery passionate competitor on the field wears thin in the locker room. It's the same in the business world. Some one might work harder than everyone else ...which is great...but when they are constantly telling veryone how hard they work in comparison it has a negative effect.

Exactly.

Management didn't care what Smith was doing most of his career because he was the most dynamic playmaker in the league. Now that he's average at best they don't want to deal with his poo.

Same for players. The younger guys, and even veterans, would put up with Smith's tantrums when he's backing it up on the field with 200 yards. But nobody wants to hear poo from a guy who goes out on Sunday and grabs 4 catches for 50 yards. Gets old really quick.

Smith asked to have a #1 brought in but his ego could never handle it. His words were always different than his actions

This.  If Smitty only had the fire and the drive, he would still be here.  When he started running his mouth, punching teammates, etc., he lost his chance to retire a Panther.  (this triggered a rant--excuse the following:)

Did Gettlemen owe this player more?  Maybe for the fans' sake, but what Gettlemen did was not that bad, if you ask me.  Smitty is concerned because a GM uses (what Smitty thought was) past tense in referring how great he has been to the organization.  That is NOTHING compared to what Smitty did to Jimmy Clausen in a post-game interview.  Nothing compared to what he did to Bright and Lucas. 

In this interview, Carter is trying to be civil.  Everyone needs to remember, Smitty said, "Why should I help develop young WRs--they are my competition." Well, if that is your attitude, you should not be talking to them at all, much less getting into their faces.  I saw him doing that at OTAs on more than one occasion (Jarrett, Colbert, Gettis)

Smith has a lot of good characteristics, but considering what this franchise tolerated from him over the years, it is a bit ironic that he would get upset over a verb tense.  However, he put the writing on the wall---Gettlemen was just the man with the balls to read it out loud.

Blood and guts?  I hope so.  I hope we stick him every time he tries to leave the huddle.  If he was not liked by Panther teammates (as suggested), it is Smitty who should be worried about blood and guts.

Guest Dark Knight

Carolina could cut ticket/food/beer/jersey prices in half, go 16-0, win the Super Bowl, & people would still cry on & on & bash them over cutting SS89.

Smith should've just retired & built a mega church in Charlotte. He would've put Elevation out of business & made a hell of a lot more money than the 9.5mil he's getting this year. I've heard people say Brady is like god to everyone around Boston & kids are raised to pretty much worship the man. I believe the mass idiots in Carolina may be even more obsessed with Steve.

i didn't expect any outrage in twitter lol that would be ridiculous. (although lafell is one that showed some). But just hearing a/b the interviews from ppl like Hardy & Deangelo basically saying it would be "ridiculous & absurd to cut him while also detrimental to the loker room", said alot imo. I figured the prt about Gettleman coming in & deciding he just wasn't gonna deal w/ it but ill tell u wat...At the end of the day what is most important to those guys (Cam ecsp) is that they win games! & they have all attributed what he brings to the table to helping them do that. So if you believe that they would have found it worth it to go from 12&4 last season to 7-9 next season just so they didnt have to "deal" w/ Smith in the locker room then...ok

89 wouldn't be the reason we take a step back if it happens.....

No OL and secondary are much bigger worries

Outside of a handful of plays, what did you guys see in him last year that makes losing him so critical?

He is way more hype than anything else and there is drama around him every single game.

What drama you say?  Even the announcers feel the need to make a comment on who Steve Smith may or may not throw hands with during the game....every fvccing week.

His schtick got stale and his drops increased while his separation from coverage decreased

And we have no idea how big of a dick he was in the locker room.  We can only base it on his history of fighting with, cursing out, and sucker-punching teammates.

good riddance

89 wouldn't be the reason we take a step back if it happens.....

No OL and secondary are much bigger worries

half of the Both the O line & the secondary was horrible last yr. mainly due to most of them being on IR, so those areas may be better when guys are back & healthy . & sure Steve's play can be replaced but we'll see just how much they miss that leadership when they bring in all those new guys. If they go 5-11 next season I won't be surprised

This could be put at the feet of Smitty, but which of these players did you expect to become a star? None of them seemed to do anything after leaving the Panthers, but that could be because Smith ruined them I guess...

2003 - Walter Young (7)

2004 - Keary Colbert (2)

2004 - Drew Carter (5)

2007 - Dwayne Jarrett (2)

2007 - Ryne Robinson (4)

2010 - Brandon LaFell (3)

2010 - Armanti Edwards (3)

2010 - David Gettis (6)

2011 - Kealoha Pilares (5)

2012 - Joe Adams (4)

Good God look at all that talent!!!

How did we keep Smitty that long? Look at what he wasted for us. WOW!!!

:eyeroll:

Archived