• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Virginia OT Morgan Moses visiting Panthers on Wednesday

jfo89

Why don't we just trade out of the 1st round and end up with 2 2nds + 2 3rds. Problem solved, 4 starters in deep draft.

28 is almost a 2nd in itself

I'd hope we're open to a trade down.  

We could pull something like Moses OT, Matthews/Adams WR, Turner OT 

That'd be my pipedream scenario. 

For somebody that knows nothing about assessing OT's, why is bending at the waste such a bad thing?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I believe it's a bad thing because if you're bending at the waist, you are overextending yourself, which gives up leverage and allows the opponent to beat you.

Guest Dark Knight

This place is gonna melt down on draft day.

Carolina Panthers 2014 Draft:

1st- OT

2nd- OG

3rd- CB

4th- WR

5th- WR

6th- LB

7th- OT

he had a decent senior bowl week at LT, and looks natural at the position.long arms, but does bend at the waist a lot, but that can be fixed.

i love draft news.

Nailed it.  I read one article that called him a "dancing bear"  not able to generate much in the run game.  Who knows, but I mentioned about 2 weeks ago that I have a hunch he would be the guy--

If we were to sign both Jones and Cotchery in free agency, then we will probably target LT in the draft.  Gettlemen said BPA, but if you need a LT, a player like Morgan is pretty much the BPA.

Lets say we sign 2 free agent WRs--Draft Morgan.  There is still some WR talent that will be there at #60. 

CONSPIRACY THEORY:

The Panthers don't really want Morgan Moses, but they are looking at him to make New Orleans take him at 27 or to keep other teams from leap frogging the Panthers to get Cooks or Beckham.  They will assume we need the T, wait for the WR to fall then, Boom.  Panthers get their man.

That is probably not the way this thing will go down at all.

I'm a UVA fan. I would like the pick of Moses. Good player but not sure if he would be a great LT.Think he could play it but would be better suited for RT. With that said how many guys past top 10 are ever more suited for LT unless they are a 3 yr project which we cant really do at this moment. 

We need to draft a project LT (development guy) this year late rounds we feel can develop and find guys for now either through draft or FA vet. Hoping we use 2-4 picks on O-Lineman this year. 

Morgan Moses Strengths Weakness

POSITIVES: Ideal length and proportion throughout for an NFL offensive tackle. Does a good job of exhibiting patience off the snap as he routinely establishes width and good bend in his base to either absorb or mirror his opponent in pass protection. Makes good use of his long arms by extending and punching to keep defenders off his frame. Displays a fluid, consistent kick-slide when asked to track and dictate a speed rusher around the edge.

Exhibits a strong first step and impressive burst for his size, when asked to fire through to the second level as a run blocker. Powerful hands to latch and steer against opponents of all sizes. Does a good job sustaining effort and contact to the whistle, and makes a concerted attempt to drive his opponent off the block rather than simply occupying him. Impressive lower-half flexibility and anchoring strength when absorbing a bull-rush.

NEGATIVES: Lacks the ability to stop and start with suddenness or redirect in a short area. Struggles to get low and snap into smaller opponents at the second level, and will over-pursue as a run-blocker. Isn't always decisive in space and lacks commitment at times as a lead blocker on outside runs.

Collapses at the elbow or will simply drop his head and ram his target when on the run, leaving him susceptible to whiffing or losing his balance and toppling forward. Has struggled with weight fluctuations throughout his career.

COMPARES TO: Ryan Clady, OT, Denver Broncos - Like Clady, Morgan enters the draft with plus movement skills for his size, but comes with many of the same questions that Clady did in terms of his ability to gnerate power enough to move defenders consistently as a run-blocker. If he can improve in this area, Moses has the upside to be a top-notch blind-side protector at the next level, as Clady has become.

--Derek Stephens and Dane Brugler (2/2/14)

Player Overview

Moses is the definition of a "dancing bear" with his mammoth size and nimble feet. He likes to use his limbs to get his hands on defenders and take them wherever he wants, but needs to continue and refine his technique. If he continues to develop while staying in shape, Moses will be an attractive blocker for the next level.

I'm not even going to bother with all the overreactions. Why would I even try?

To me, Moses is going to be a RT in the NFL. Despite some scouting reports, I just don't see the elite foot-quickness for him to be a blindside-protector. Still. I think he's a good option at 28. I have him around the same tier as someone like Cooks. Cooks is is a guy who plays at a premier position with obvious strengths (speed, quickness, hands) and weaknesses (size). Moses on the other hand will not play at a premier position (RT), but can become one of the best at that position. Moses is the more conservative pick I guess, whereas Cooks is sexier. It'll be interesting to see how Gettleman weighs these things up if they're both available on draft day.

Archived