• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign Ed Dickson

Carl Spackler

I wonder something about these one year deals. I do understand the cap situation and these may be the only contracts that we can hand out but do you think those one year deals are scaring people. I mean, how can you have stability based off a one year deal? I know that the one year deals can also bring up your market value the following year if your team is successful (i.e. Ginn Jr). Any thoughts? By the way, I think this is a solid signing. I would love to see more two TE sets.

When tight end Dennis Pitta dislocated and fractured his right hip during the preseason, many references were made about how productive his replacement was two seasons ago.

Ed Dickson caught a career-high 54 passes for 528 yards and five touchdowns during the 2011 season.

Although Dickson is big, strong and fast, his hands have been extremely suspect this season with his unreliability showing up again Sunday during a 23-20 road loss to the Buffalo Bills. Dickson allowed an accurate Joe Flacco pass to bounce off his hands for one of Flacco's five interceptions.

For the season, Dickson has caught only three passes for 25 yards and has dropped at least six passes.

It's been a rude awakening for Dickson and the Ravens, who have started him every week through four games and haven't given up hope that he'll snap out of this funk and start catching the football.

"That’s a long time ago, so I’m hard pressed to make that direct comparison," Harbaugh said of Dickson's 2011 season. "The stats kind of speak for themselves as you’re alluding to. He’s not the same player right now than he was then obviously. Ed just needs to go catch the ball. Make it easy: Run fast, get open and catch the football, put it away and get upfield.

"That’s all he needs to do. And if he’s thinking about anything besides that, he’s doing himself a disservice. And if he’s lacking confidence for some reason, that’s on him. When you have that kind of talent, those kinds of gifts, go play ball, go show everybody what you’re capable of doing. That’s what I expect to see from Ed.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-harbaugh-says-ed-dickson-isnt-the-same-player-that-he-was-two-years-ago-20130930,0,3472079.story

so what's his issue and which dickson are we going to get?

you want to know why he was a FA for so long and why his contract is only one year? this is it.

I wonder something about these one year deals. I do understand the cap situation and these may be the only contracts that we can hand out but do you think those one year deals are scaring people. I mean, how can you have stability based off a one year deal? I know that the one year deals can also bring up your market value the following year if your team is successful (i.e. Ginn Jr). Any thoughts? By the way, I think this is a solid signing. I would love to see more two TE sets.

what happened last year and i'm assuming is this year, is that a lot of these players will only agree to one year deals because they think that the next year will be better for them. at least as far as getting a good long term contract, anyway, because they think there will be more cap space. in the case of guys like dickson who haven't done well the past couple years, the best chance they have for a lucrative multiyear deal is to take a one year prove it deal.

at any rate, the one year deals isn't to our benefit since we could probably backload a bit and offer more money upfront than we would with a cheap deal.

Archived