• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More draft rumors...Jordan Matthews in the first?

CPF4LIFE

Lee was a top 5 pick last year, had bad year because injuries and players around him. It would be be kinda stupid to pass on him as a team that needs a WR all the way down at 28. Saints worry me tho, they could grab him right in front of us.

NO WAY MATTHEWS GOES BEFORE LEE

If Lee falls to 28 I think he will be a Panther.

I agree. Don't see us passing on him.

good news is we have Ricky Proehl in our pocket, he's the guy we've been sending out to visit and meet the WR prospects. if I'm GM, I'm going to listen to him regarding how we rate the WRs

as for myself, I don't see the logic in taking Beckham/Lee over Latimer/Robinson/Matthews

1st R WRs have a high bust rate and Lee and Beckham have 1st R bust written all over them. LSU and USC have regularly pumped out 1st R busts at WR for a while now

Why? because USC and LSU are teams full of college all-stars that can often make their players look better than they are

look at Lee. He was great in 2013 when he had an elite college QB and WR to help him out:

-Robert Woods #41 overall, 5th WR taken, 2013 draft

-Matt Barkley #98 overall, 4th QB taken, 2013 draft

take those two guys away, and Lee looked nowhere close as good in 2014

Beckham is in the same boat being propped up with an elite college QB and WR in Mettenberger and Jarvis Landry

think of the 2007 draft when LSU had a QB and two WRs all go 1st R: JaMarcus Russell, Craig Davis and Dwayne Bowe. Bowe turned out solid for a 1st R pick, but at least he was a big NFL-sized 6-2/221 in the mold of Latimer (6-3/215), Robinson (6-3/220), Matthews (6-3/212) and unlike Lee (6-0/192) or Beckham (5-11/198)

unlike Beckham and Lee, guys like Latimer/Robinson/Matthews weren't propped up by having an elite college QB and another elite college WR on the other side

Matthews, in particular played for perennial SEC doormat Vandy and beasted all over the SEC. That's amazing

if Lee couldn't beast all over the Pac12 last year without an elite college QB and WR on the other side (like WR Paul Richardson did at Colorado), then how could he beast all over the SEC at Vandy like Matthews did?

good news is we have Ricky Proehl in our pocket, he's the guy we've been sending out to visit and meet the WR prospects. if I'm GM, I'm going to listen to him regarding how we rate the WRs

as for myself, I don't see the logic in taking Beckham/Lee over Latimer/Robinson/Matthews

1st R WRs have a high bust rate and Lee and Beckham have 1st R bust written all over them. LSU and USC have regularly pumped out 1st R busts at WR for a while now

Why? because USC and LSU are teams full of college all-stars that can often make their players look better than they are

look at Lee. He was great in 2013 when he had an elite college QB and WR to help him out:

-Robert Woods #41 overall, 5th WR taken, 2013 draft

-Matt Barkley #98 overall, 4th QB taken, 2013 draft

take those two guys away, and Lee looked nowhere close as good in 2014

Beckham is in the same boat being propped up with an elite college QB and WR in Mettenberger and Jarvis Landry

think of the 2007 draft when LSU had a QB and two WRs all go 1st R: JaMarcus Russell, Craig Davis and Dwayne Bowe. Bowe turned out solid for a 1st R pick, but at least he was a big NFL-sized 6-2/221 in the mold of Latimer (6-3/215), Robinson (6-3/220), Matthews (6-3/212) and unlike Lee (6-0/192) or Beckham (5-11/198)

unlike Beckham and Lee, guys like Latimer/Robinson/Matthews weren't propped up by having an elite college QB and another elite college WR on the other side

Matthews, in particular played for perennial SEC doormat Vandy and beasted all over the SEC. That's amazing

if Lee couldn't beast all over the Pac12 last year without an elite college QB and WR on the other side (like WR Paul Richardson did at Colorado), then how could he beast all over the SEC at Vandy like Matthews did?

I don't necessarily agree with everything you just said, but I'm of a similar mindset.  I've been all about avoiding Lee like the plague.  I don't feel as strongly about OBJ, but you're right that Mettenberger is a very good college QB and he also benefits from playing beside another very good college WR in Landry.  I wouldn't shock me if Landry turns into the better pro.  OBJ definitely has the higher ceiling, but Landry probably has the higher floor.  I don't think Landry will ever be a star, but I could see him having a similar NFL career to the two vets we just signed - Cotchery and Avant.

He's been my top WR (realistically that we can grab) in this whole draft. Keenan Allen 2.0

Except he's a lot faster than Allen.  This guy has literally everything you're looking for in an NFL WR.  The size, the speed, the hands, the production...  I have no idea how this guy is being so overlooked.

Whoever we get at WR, will have come with high praise from Ricky. Quite honestly, he has forgotten more about the WR position than collectively we will ever know!

Sign of a good manager is one that trust his people. Not so sure Ricky didn't propose the cleaning of house and Gettleman just signed it into executive order.

Except he's a lot faster than Allen.  This guy has literally everything you're looking for in an NFL WR.  The size, the speed, the hands, the production...  I have no idea how this guy is being so overlooked.

Me neither.  I mean everyone knew he was the primary weapon for Vandy and he still killed people. People talk about QB's , Matthew has had Jordan Rodgers, Larry Smith, Austyn Carta Samuels and Patton Robinette as QB's.   He is fast (4.46), Big  6'3, got hands and has produced in the SEC.  It has to be the school that's the only thing that makes sense.

Agree 100%, he's also a very cerebral player. No clue how he's slipping so much, he's a top 5 WR prospect IMO. If he happens to fall in our lap at 60 …. dear god.

Archived