• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who has the highest ceiling?

Jakob

I don't want to make a thread about this so I'll use this thread...

Clowney and Lee looked like they both were a top 3 draft pick a year a go. Both of them didn't have a great 2013 season yet one will probably be the #1 overall and one will be 25+ Whats the deal?

I'm honestly not sure that it's because of his pro day.  I'm not sure if he was ever as high on scout's radars as he was on the media's.  The media just saw the eye popping stats while the scouts were likely looking at his mechanics and arm strength.  They're trying to decipher what part of his game and how his physical tools translate to the NFL level and I'm not sure they ever saw an elite NFL QB prospect in Bridgewater.  That's not to say he won't become a successful NFL QB, it's just saying that he's not your prototypical NFL 1st round QB.

Arm strength is a fair point, I guess.  Totally disagree about mechanics though. 

Arm strength is a fair point, I guess.  Totally disagree about mechanics though. 

I was just using mechanics as an example of things that scouts are taking a close look at, not necessarily knocking Bridgewater's.  Mechanics only come into play if a guy has the physical tools.  You could take a guy like me and I could have the most picture perfect passing mechanics the world has ever seen, but I simply don't have the physical ability to play QB at an NFL level.  Ain't nothing gonna change that.

I was just using mechanics as an example of things that scouts are taking a close look at, not necessarily knocking Bridgewater's.  Mechanics only come into play if a guy has the physical tools.  You could take a guy like me and I could have the most picture perfect passing mechanics the world has ever seen, but I simply don't have the physical ability to play QB at an NFL level.  Ain't nothing gonna change that.

Yeah I agree with that, but Bridgewater has very sound mechanics.  Certainly much better than Bortles, for instance.   That wouldn't be a valid reason for him not being considered a 1st round pick. 

Yeah I agree with that, but Bridgewater has very sound mechanics.  Certainly much better than Bortles, for instance.   That wouldn't be a valid reason for him not being considered a 1st round pick. 

Agree.  Again, I was just using that as an example of things that scouts are looking for on tape.  On tape, they have to be seriously questioning Bridgewater's arm strength.  Windows are much smaller in the NFL and those DBs close much quicker than they do in college.  You gotta have the zip to get that ball in there.  I think that's probably the biggest thing that jumped out to them on tape, then when he sprayed the ball all over the place at his workouts that probably really got them wondering.  If you have questionable arm strength, then you damn better well have pinpoint accuracy and great anticipation.

Agree.  Again, I was just using that as an example of things that scouts are looking for on tape.  On tape, they have to be seriously questioning Bridgewater's arm strength.  Windows are much smaller in the NFL and those DBs close much quicker than they do in college.  You gotta have the zip to get that ball in there.  I think that's probably the biggest thing that jumped out to them on tape, then when he sprayed the ball all over the place at his workouts that probably really got them wondering.  If you have questionable arm strength, then you damn better well have pinpoint accuracy and great anticipation.

Absolutely.  I just don't see any evidence that Bridgewater lacks any of that.   He meets all of the criteria of a high first round pick. 

Absolutely.  I just don't see any evidence that Bridgewater lacks any of that.   He meets all of the criteria of a high first round pick. 

I don't agree.  If I'm going to take an undersized QB who doesn't have ideal arm strength, I'd take Aaron Murray over Bridgewater.  That Louisville spread inflates numbers and creates spacing that simply doesn't exist at the NFL level.  At least Murray is coming from a pro style system.  I think Murray has the better arm to boot.

I don't want to make a thread about this so I'll use this thread...

Clowney and Lee looked like they both were a top 3 draft pick a year a go. Both of them didn't have a great 2013 season yet one will probably be the #1 overall and one will be 25+ Whats the deal?

Because pass rushers, especially ones who are viewed as elite, are a premium, especially with the new rookie wage scale. In a historically deep WR class, combined with the worth of risky WR's, a down year won't affect the elite DE prospect as much as his WR counterpart.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived