• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

6th Round - Carolina selects RB Tyler Gaffney, Stanford

Ruff

Says the Panthers staff. Well, at least for Barner. If they thought Barner could play, they wouldn't have drafted Gaffney here. Unfortunately, they will be saying the same thing about Gaffney next year.

Gaffney has nothing to do with Barner. Barner and Gaffney are both about changing the old logic that created a mess that handicaps us still

Says the Panthers staff. Well, at least for Barner. If they thought Barner could play, they wouldn't have drafted Gaffney here. Unfortunately, they will be saying the same thing about Gaffney next year.

Deangelo 5'9 215

Gaffney 5'11 219

How is he not built for the league? Do you even know what you are talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Not what I meant. Was talking why we took other positions.

Our FO decided the guys there in this draft after prob the 2nd round were not better than what we had. In that situation, you bring in the highest graded bpa on your board. Two of the OT's everyone has been clamping for since the 3rd round look to go undrafted. I expect to take a flier on one or two as udfa.

We did not draft to build depth on the past. We are changing that strategy now. Again, thus us a multiple year plan by Gett to fix the mess he inherited.

I understand the pick but if your building depth  I wish we would have done it in the later rounds ex (Greg Hardy 6th round). Several teams took OT in the 1-3 round, it shows that they are starters or impact players and we could have addressed a need while picking a top talent. Either way if we can get Richardson as UDFA I will be pleased with the draft.

Deangelo 5'9 215

Gaffney 5'11 219

How is he not built for the league? Do you even know what you are talking about?

You have to look at the frame of a player.  Particularly the legs.  Gaffney looks like he will be snapped in two in this league.  Barner looks the same way, and you can see how easily he goes down at NFL contact.  At best, Gaffney will simply be a fullback.  The kind that catches passes and so forth.

I understand the pick but if your building depth I wish we would have done it in the later rounds ex (Greg Hardy 6th round). Several teams took OT in the 1-3 round, it shows that they are starters or impact players and we could have addressed a need while picking a top talent. Either way if we can get Richardson as UDFA I will be pleased with the draft.

Hope Hurst or Tiny cones as udfa.

Also was hoping someone would take Raly before us in the 2nd. When he was still there, I knew he was going to be the pick.

That was the spot that Moses was prob going to be taken.

With how our FO feels about King and McNutt, only one WR does not surprise me.

I fully understand what you are saying.

Question is were the guys at OT after the 2nd -3rd rounds better than what we have. Gett and Rivera said no.

Early was too good in the 2nd to pass up...reminds me if the Kalil pick a few seasons ago.

if he were going totally by BPA, whether they were better than what we have would never have come into consideration...which even then i don't with. but even if what you said is true, i don't see why you don't even bring in competition in the rounds after the third. i think sometimes people do things just to try and prove they are right, even if it holds them back. i juat have no faith whatsoever in this OL and i'm having a really hard time believing that gettleman has enough faith in them to believe that the guys available weren't up to competing with the guys we have. i like gettleman, but he's not flawless and a flaw i could see him having is his self percieved ability to gauge diamonds in the rough. i think he's good, but so far i don't like what he's done or is doing with the OL. it reminds me too much of hurney with DTs... it's just not worth investing much in and you can throw any guy in there and be ok.

You have to look at the frame of a player. Particularly the legs. Gaffney looks like he will be snapped in two in this league. Barner looks the same way, and you can see how easily he goes down at NFL contact. At best, Gaffney will simply be a fullback. The kind that catches passes and so forth.

Yeah again. Not even close to being correct

Anyone that thinks we replace DWill or JStew with players taken after the 3rd round (especially 6th rounds picks), make me laugh.

While it's not completely out of the possibility, it's rare in this league. 

As for who should go, JStew needs to go first. While health issues are a major factor, in the last 3-4 years, he seems to be way too tentative once he gets the ball and waits too long committing to run North & South.

As for DWil, it seem like 25% of the time he has someone on him as soon as he gets the ball, but fight to make it back to the line or minimize the loss of yardage. IMHO, he also seems more likely to keep restructuring /take the pay cut to finish out his career as a Panther, than some.  

This is how you save money in the NFL today...Hurney didn't get it, Gettlemen does.

yeah, i guess you would save a lot of money by not spending any on your OL. hurney sure saved a lot by not spending it on DTs.

Archived