• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte and the Potential of having an MLS team.

The city of Charlotte has lately been getting a lot of buzz. The Panthers are coming off a very good season, the Hornets are back and have the city giddy with excitement, with good reason of course. In NC, this is probably the premier sports down, no offense to Raleigh and the Canes. But it just makes sense...it will all depend on the huge soccer match going to be played here shortly. 

I don't watch much MLS I'll admit it, mainly because there are such better leagues. Bundesliga, Champions, Premier, Liga MX (for me), so on and so on. The possibility of Charlotte having a Pro soccer team really grabs my attention. What would they be called to begin with. I honestly thing they would get a huge following if it ever comes into fruition. 

The city of Charlotte is capable of having one. Will they? I don't know. Injecting this region with a new team to follow would be fantastic. 

Carolina ______ Football Club. I really like the sound of that. 

Yea. I would love it. Part of the reason I can't get into the MLS is because, overall the league is way behind in terms of talent, and I have no emotional attachment to to any particular club. If Charlotte were to get a team, I'd definitely get season tickets.

I've always thought Queen City FC would be good. I think we have an upcoming amateur team named Queen City SC or something?

Yea. I would love it. Part of the reason I can't get into the MLS is because, overall the league is way behind in terms of talent, and I have no emotional attachment to to any particular club. If Charlotte were to get a team, I'd definitely get season tickets.

I've always thought Queen City FC would be good. I think we have an upcoming amateur team named Queen City SC or something?

Queen City Soccer Club is a rebrand of the Eagles.

The guy who owns the Eagles sold to the guy who owns the Charlotte Hounds.

They'll be moving to Memorial Stadium (so beer will now be available unlike at Charlotte Eagles games). I think the long term goal is to move them up to NASL and position ourselves for MLS expansion in the 2020's.

They're currently making some improvements at Memorial Stadium, but a lot will need to be done there if they ever hope for it to be good soccer stadium. One negative about it is that the field isn't wide enough, so they'll have to remove several rows of seating, which will leave the first row pretty high up off the field. Seating in soccer specific stadiums is generally pretty low to the ground and close to the field. I guess they could always raise the field though if need be.

MLS wants teams to have their own stadiums (not sure why they made an exception for ATL) and for them to be in urban areas.

As much as I'd love to see the MLS in Charlotte, I don't think it will happen. I can't see them going over 24 teams, and this latest round of expansion seems to have the Southeast covered. If there's more expansion, I think it's more likely to be in the Midwest or Southwest.

That said, I do have some problems watching MLS games. Other than places like Seattle or Portland, the atmosphere just isn't there. When you watch a European match, you know it's the most important thing happening in that town. Chicago and New York have very nice stadiums, and they fill them up. But MLS is near the bottom of the sports totem pole in those cities, and it shows. I usually just avoid the scores and watch the 7-8 minute highlight packages that MLS puts on their YouTube channel.

I've also been following the goings on with the Queen City FC. I was a little surprised to hear about the field issues with Memorial Stadium. When I moved here in the early '80's, the Carolina Lightning/Charlotte Gold played their matches there, so I assumed it was already soccer ready. I'll definitely go to some of those games next year.  

i want the mls to be my favorite league.  in order for the usmnt to get better the mls has to get better, and for that to happen the mls needs as much support as possible in this country.  but there just isn't a team i have any type of emotional attachment to.  if charlotte got a team all that changes. if charlotte got an MLS team that would be MY club, i would feel an instant attachment to them.  but i just don't see it happening.  i'm so pissed atlanta got a team instead of nc.  which btw, if nc ever does get a team raleigh has just as good if not a better chance to get the team than charlotte.  but someone else brought up a good point, mls is gonna get too large soon.  expanding will probably begin slowing down, so yeah as much as it kills me charlotte doesn't have a very good chance right now.  queen city fc sounds awesome though, ugh.  maybe one day if soccer continues growing in this country the mls could completely revamp and we could go to relegation style.  like i'm talking way down the road, but say almost every city in the us with a population of 85,000-100,000+ had a club and we went to relegation style.  that would be amazing.  i know it's all really far fetched but hey one can dream.  btw soccer is gonna pass baseball here soon.  kids prefer the mls in the summer now to the mlb.  in 30 years or so the mls will be just as popular as the mlb.  soccer is just so much more efficient.  baseball is soooo slow and has so many commercials.

I think MLS would be very foolish to pass up putting a team somewhere in NC.

an idea i've thought of would be, since the Railhawks are already known as Carolina Railhawks FC, to rebrand them as Carolina FC and have them be a dual city team between Raleigh and Charlotte. split up the home games between the 2 cities to really encompass the whole state as a fan base

they're already in the NASL which is the 2nd division and had a recent good run in the Open Cup. they just seem more primed for a promotion than the new Queen City SC that will start in USL Pro and have to make 2 moves to get to MLS

Archived