• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Camp Photos and Observations - Day 2

Jeremy Igo

I posted this in another thread, but I'll leave it here as well...

As most know, I was pretty upset about the guys we let go during the offseason. I know it wasn't possible to keep all of them, but IMO, Ginn and Mitchell were priorities.

I still feel we aren't going to replace either of them with anyone currently on this roster. My impression from reading some of the recaps herd is that even "fast" guys like Underwood and Philly Brown still aren't Ginn-fast. And that sucks...

• Pie 1

As most know, I was pretty upset about the guys we let go during the offseason. I know it wasn't possible to keep all of them, but IMO, Ginn and Mitchell were priorities.

I still feel we aren't going to replace either of them with anyone currently on this roster. My impression from reading some of the recaps herd is that even "fast" guys like Underwood and Philly Brown still aren't Ginn-fast. And that sucks...

You tell me how we were gonna keep Mitchell at 5 years 25 mil + ginn at 11 mil

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

You tell me how we were gonna keep Mitchell at 5 years 25 mil + ginn at 11 mil

Sent from my iPad using CarolinaHuddle

I didn't say we COULD. I said I knew it wasn't possible to keep ALL of them, but those were two guys that we had to ensure that we gave our best effort to keep. And honestly, if we would've made a fair offer during the season to either, it wouldn't have costed that much to keep them.

And hindsight is 20/20, but as much as I love Hardy, putting the tag on him and neither extending him nor trading him is pretty stupid, ESPECIALLY if the plan is to let him walk after this season anyway. Some of the moves made this offseason just seemed to lack any and all signs of planning and/or preparation.

Oh well, we'll see what we have...

I loved Mitchell and Ginn. Don't get me wrong. Ginn's TD vs the Pats is one of my most memorable Panther plays in history...but in all honesty, we can't ignore the fact that he was just an above average WR who had a knack for making plays the wrong way too...

Tedd-Ginn-Jr-dropped-td-pass-against-Tam

He was 3rd in the NFL in drops.

Mitchell was a tough one too because he brought energy to our defense. All of his INT's were all bad balls right too him that a fantasy football couch owner could've caught. I've heard Thomas and Roman are bringing energy, and with our front 7 we can make any secondary look above average.

There are only a handful of players in the league that are Ginn fast and Ginn's one of them.

• Pie 3

I like the New Balance kicks Mr. Igo. There is something to be said about the no frills approach to photography. If espn talking heads were describing you they'd say you're a grinder, a real lunch pail kind of photographer.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Edited by Montsta

I loved Mitchell and Ginn. Don't get me wrong. Ginn's TD vs the Pats is one of my most memorable Panther plays in history...but in all honesty, we can't ignore the fact that he was just an above average WR who had a knack for making plays the wrong way too...

Tedd-Ginn-Jr-dropped-td-pass-against-Tam

He was 3rd in the NFL in drops.

Mitchell was a tough one too because he brought energy to our defense. All of his INT's were all bad balls right too him that a fantasy football couch owner could've caught. I've heard Thomas and Roman are bringing energy, and with our front 7 we can make any secondary look above average.

True, but see the post below yours regarding Ginn. That is why, even with his drops, he was so invaluable. The Pats play is the perfect example... a routine curl route and he DID catch it, turns upfield and makes other grown men look like they're all stuck on treadmills. Add to that, he filled three roles in one roster spot. Now, we're scrambling to see if we can fill that void with multiple people who probably won't do what he did as well as he did it. 11 mil was affordable.

As far as Mitchell, I LOVED him. One of my favorite players on last season's team. I even made a thread about him being the "tone setter" of the defense. While I still feel he won't be replaced because of his ability to come down in the box, lay huge hits, AND his range in pass defense, Decoud is a serviceable guy to step in. I really don't have much hope for Roman Harper and don't think he'll provide much for us.

Avant is a veteran possession receiver. Not the type of player the generates a ton of buzz. He's doing fine but everyone's eyes gravitate to the young guys.

Kelvin Benjamin has caught every ball I've seen thrown to him. (mind you no one sees everything). I think Ginn is a loss more as a punt returner. When he fielded punts I felt confident he would at least catch the damned thing. Some of the guys we've been working back there are woeful. Kenjon Barner froze up and reached for the ball rather then get his body under it.

I haven't seen a ton of Kony Ealy but I did see him working with special teams. We've seen a ton of athletic DEs have an immediate impact on special teams. Guys like Jason Pierre-Paul, Greg Hardy, and Aldon Smith. I wouldn't mind seeing him block a few punts or truck a few returners.

• Pie 2