• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Playclock Management

Darth Biscuit

Something I've noticed about the Panthers the last couple of seasons...  we always seem to be fighting the play clock.

Often we're snapping the ball with less than 0:05 on the playclock... all during the game.

It could be that I pay attention more closely to the play clock when the Panthers are on offense, but I don't think that's it.

Watching both our games and other NFL games, it doesn't seem like we're ready to snap the ball as quickly as a lot of teams.

What is the cause of this?  Play calls getting to the huddle too slowly? Cam taking too long in the huddle?

I think it's by design. Ron prefers to bleed the clock with a methodical offense. Shorten the game.

Works when we have an elite defense like last year, but this year I think it would be wise to snap quicker so it leads to the offense perhaps getting an extra possession. Crucial when you have a defense that gives up points in bunches.

I think it's by design. Ron prefers to bleed the clock with a methodical offense. Shorten the game.

Works when we have an elite defense like last year, but this year I think it would be wise to snap quicker so it leads to the offense perhaps getting an extra possession. Crucial when you have a defense that gives up points in bunches.

I don't think putting our D on the field more does it any favors.

My biggest annoyance of yesterday's game was that with 45 seconds remaining in the first half after a third down stop, we didn't call timeout. Instead, we allowed the clock to run down and pretty much went into halftime.  40 or so seconds without a timeout is tough, but it's a couple decent plays away from being in field goal range...which could have been just what we needed to eek out a win.

I've noticed the same thing and consider it a problem. Many times Cam doesn't even get everyone lined up until about the 5-6 seconds left on the play clock. That isn't enough time for him to scrutinize the defense and make the necessary adjustments, IMO.

I dont know if its any different now than under Chudzinski but in general the players just dont seem to do anything regarding getting lined up quickly.

If anything it is better in that we regularly burned timeouts under Chud getting the calls in.

Archived