• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers wide receiver are "second-to-last" in YAC

GoobyPls

As I recall, I remember complaining last year about Lafell seemingly falling down after EVERY catch.  This year he is a YAC beast.

Hmmmmmm.

Lafell was our leading wide receiver last year in Yards after catch with 277 yac.  Steve Smith was last with 203.  Greg Olsen led with 343.

Steve Smith already has over 300 this year, and as you said Lafell is doing better, which would seem to indicate that the issue is more with our offense than with the receivers.  We rarely seem to hit receivers in stride. 

Lafell was our leading wide receiver last year in Yards after catch with 277 yac.  Steve Smith was last with 203.  Greg Olsen led with 343.

Steve Smith already has over 300 this year, and as you said Lafell is doing better, which would seem to indicate that the issue is more with our offense than with the receivers.  We rarely seem to hit receivers in stride. 

Some of it may be on Cam, but I've noticed many times guys run to a spot and sit.  That's not conducive to gaining YAC, especially when our WRs can't get separation and have guys draped all over them.

Was going to post the other day, but didn't feel like making another thread...

The ultimate icing on the cake Sunday was watching Kony Ealy do his best Everette Brown impression yet again, and seeing Donte Moncrief was the best receiver league wide... Someone I begged our front office to take and was available until the third round, I also wanted Martavis Bryant.

Look at what the Colts have done for Luck, that's what we should've done for Cam. Surround him with competent o-linemen from actual D-1schools and load up on talented skill players full of potential... Instead, we drafted OL from BFE State and load up on defensive players.

I'm gonna hold a grudge for years to come until the offense is addressed. I just dont understand how these guys are professionals and dont see it... When did we have our most successful offenses? Cam's first season when we brought in Greg Olsen, Smitty was still in his prime, and despite all of his subpar performances, we drafted LaFell. Before that? When we drafted multiple wrs that panned out - Smitty and Moose. Since then, we somehow think offense can function with one WR and one TE. It doesn't work like that.

The ultimate icing on the cake Sunday was watching Kony Ealy do his best Everette Brown impression yet again, and seeing Donte Moncrief was the best receiver league wide... Someone I begged our front office to take and was available until the third round, I also wanted Martavis Bryant.

Look at what the Colts have done for Luck, that's what we should've done for Cam. Surround him with competent o-linemen from actual D-1schools and load up on talented skill players full of potential... Instead, we drafted OL from BFE State and load up on defensive players.

I'm gonna hold a grudge for years to come until the offense is addressed. I just dont understand how these guys are professionals and dont see it... When did we have our most successful offenses? Cam's first season when we brought in Greg Olsen, Smitty was still in his prime, and despite all of his subpar performances, we drafted LaFell. Before that? When we drafted multiple wrs that panned out - Smitty and Moose. Since then, we somehow think offense can function with one WR and one TE. It doesn't work like that.

Anyone who has actually been watching the games should not be the least bit surprised by us being practically dead last in YAC.

Our quarterback literally has virtually no room for error with this offense. It's disgusting.

Unfortunately it still won't matter to people in our fan base who are pretty much only concerned with running Newton out of town. Not the endless gaffes and piss poor decision making and game planning from our coaching staff who literally get out coached every week. Not our GM gambling heavily with guys who shouldn't even be backups on the OL and clearing out the entire WR core while our QB headed into a contract year. Nope. All that is irrelevant. We've just gotta get Newton outta here at all costs and we'll magically be a consistent playoff team again.

It's crazy how much other teams build around their QB. The only other QB that hasn't been flooded with help is Wilson, but he has a beast of a RB and a very good run blocking OL. I get maybe you don't want your QB to be totally dependent on a lot of talent, but adding undrafted free agents and third string wide receivers isn't going to do it. It really starts at the top top. This isn't the Steelers age in the 70s anymore. 2011, we bring in a new regime and draft Cam and 4 years later we barely score 2 TDs a game and constantly getting blown out? We went backwards.That is unacceptable man

Some of it may be on Cam, but I've noticed many times guys run to a spot and sit.  That's not conducive to gaining YAC, especially when our WRs can't get separation and have guys draped all over them.

I have the same thought.  Some but not all on Cam, and a product of our style of offense.  Also we like to throw it deep, and there are usually not a lot of YAC on those type of throws, especially if its being thrown to end zone. 

Anyone who has actually been watching the games should not be the least bit surprised by us being practically dead last in YAC.

Our quarterback literally has virtually no room for error with this offense. It's disgusting.

Unfortunately it still won't matter to people in our fan base who are pretty much only concerned with running Newton out of town. Not the endless gaffes and piss poor decision making and game planning from our coaching staff who literally get out coached every week. Not our GM gambling heavily with guys who shouldn't even be backups on the OL and clearing out the entire WR core while our QB headed into a contract year. Nope. All that is irrelevant. We've just gotta get Newton outta here at all costs and we'll magically be a consistent playoff team again.

That's the thing I don't get... Even on last season's team, he was our BEST player. Leading rusher, most TD, etc. And now he is the problem? As Steve Logan always points out here in the triangle area, "the quarterback position is not played in a vacuum." He still makes amazing plays but has a lot more bad ones this year, he has thrown an INT in like 8 straight games? Why? Because he is now surrounded by inferior talent, so even your best player is going to look not so great.

How would Joe Montana or Peyton Manning look with a receiver group of rookie Kevin Benjamin, Jericho Cotchery, and Jason Avant while sitting behind this OL? Lol... Probably a lot worse than Cam because they don't have the mobility or likely the durability that Cam has due to his sheer size.

I hated all of the moves at WR this offseason because they all lacked speed. I knew if there was no true deep threat, or even a quick, shifty threat for that matter, then our WRs would struggle to get separation, and thats why we are so horrible. As you and I have both stated here throughout the season, he has little to no room for error. I don't understand how people who claim to be fans and know football thought this group was going to be as good as, or even close to, the group we had last season.

That's the thing I don't get... Even on last season's team, he was our BEST player. Leading rusher, most TD, etc. And now he is the problem? As Steve Logan always points out here in the triangle area, "the quarterback position is not played in a vacuum." He still makes amazing plays but has a lot more bad ones this year, he has thrown an INT in like 8 straight games? Why? Because he is now surrounded by I fervor talent, so even your best player is going to look not so great.

How would Joe Montana or Peyton Manning look with a receiver group of rookie Kevin Benjamin, Jericho Cotchery, and Jason Avant while sitting behind this OL? Lol... Probably a lot worse than Cam because they don't have the mobility or likely the durability that Cam has due to his sheer size.

I hated all of the moves at WR this offseason because they all lacked speed. I knew if there was no true deep threat, or even a quick, shifty threat for that matter, then our WRs would struggle to get separation, and thats why we are so horrible. As you and I have both stated here throughout the season, he has little to no room for error. I don't understand how people who claim to be fans and know football thought this group was going to be as good as, or even close to, the group we had last season.

About the intereceptions, so many morons here just scream "omg he threw a pick!", but they don't bother to look at why it's happening.

I've watched the games. Most of the interceptions he has thrown have been miscommunications, tipped passes, or him simply trying to make a play because we're down 20+ points. When you can't get any YAC, yes, your QB is going to throw some INT's, that's simple football.

Yes we have definitely lacked speed. That will break any offense.

But I think we could at least kind of make up for some of that by utilizing Brown more. Why it took our coaches this long to start him is baffling.

A lot of you are mentioning Laffel, personally I still don't want him back I would have rather kept Ginn. Of course his stats are going to improve he's playing with a better QB that has almost 150 more attempts.

I also agree we should taken at least 3 WR last draft, Moncrief, Bryant or even Hurns would have been perfect in Carolina

Archived