• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Shula's Offense

Paintballr

He's been okay. I'm still amazed it took him so long to call a screen pass against such a blitz happy defense. I still think we should be looking to upgrade at oc if we really want to click on all cylinders and be a consistently good team.

Honestly, with the talent he has been given he has done well. How many OCs do you know that have had no Oline and no star WRs and get to 27 points. I fully expect Dave to keep rebuilding the Offense this offseason till we have something for him to work with.

He's been okay. I'm still amazed it took him so long to call a screen pass against such a blitz happy defense. I still think we should be looking to upgrade at oc if we really want to click on all cylinders and be a consistently good team.

The series that pissed me off the most was the one after ginn's fumble. Why the hell is a bootleg such a taboo thing to him? They were selling out to stop the run... Any idiot could see that. It took a gift penalty for him to run a decent play

(yawn) another thread whining about someone doing a job that no one here has a clue how to do

if any of you can tell me just one of the playcalls Cam gave in the huddle in the Arizona game and break down what part relates to the starting formation, receiver routes, the initial setup for blocking, what hole the O-line is supposed to open for the RB, or what the blitz call change will be, then please feel free to post it here and show the Huddle your football IQ. Those are people whose opinion I will respect because they have some knowledge of how the hell an offense works.

But I know that ignorant people will still pipe up because, well, somehow the ticket they bought had instructions written on it somewhere about how to be an offensive coordinator. Perhaps the next BOA upgrade should be a polling device on every seat so the fans can call the next play?  Smh

(yawn) another thread whining about someone doing a job that no one here has a clue how to do

if any of you can tell me just one of the playcalls Cam gave in the huddle in the Arizona game and break down what part relates to the starting formation, receiver routes, the initial setup for blocking, what hole the O-line is supposed to open for the RB, or what the blitz call change will be, then please feel free to post it here and show the Huddle your football IQ. Those are people whose opinion I will respect because they have some knowledge of how the hell an offense works.

But I know that ignorant people will still pipe up because, well, somehow the ticket they bought had instructions written on it somewhere about how to be an offensive coordinator. Perhaps the next BOA upgrade should be a polling device on every seat so the fans can call the next play? Smh

If I had a proper set of pictures like what the Qbs look at on the sideline I could do this for you.

if any of you can tell me just one of the playcalls Cam gave in the huddle in the Arizona game and break down what part relates to the starting formation, receiver routes, the initial setup for blocking, what hole the O-line is supposed to open for the RB, or what the blitz call change will be, then please feel free to post it here and show the Huddle your football IQ. Those are people whose opinion I will respect because they have some knowledge of how the hell an offense works.

But I know that ignorant people will still pipe up because, well, somehow the ticket they bought had instructions written on it somewhere about how to be an offensive coordinator. Perhaps the next BOA upgrade should be a polling device on every seat so the fans can call the next play? Smh

That's the nature of the game man. If people feel that a position/coach can be upgraded they'll say it.

That's what fans of teams do. If everyone was okay with everything all there would basically be no discussion at all. Makes for good banter in my opinion.

Shula certainly has his moments but to think we can't or shouldn't look to improve is just a losing mentality.

Also, just because I've never been an offensive coordinator doesn't mean I can't observe and give an opinion. I'm sure you've never been POTUS but I'm damn sure at some point in your life you had a criticism or concern regarding the job being done.

Shula has been decent but his issues are well documented. (Alabama, Tampa Bay). Nothing wrong with wanting improvement.

Still question the play calling. We threw the ball way too much against Arizona. He gets too cute when we get to the 35 and usually ends up in us kicking a long field goal

Would you have said that if Cam actually made a few of those wide open looks and receivers didn't drop balls?  It is what it's always been.....execution.  When we block well (new Oline) then everything else works better.  When we don't we look inept.

Since December 7th, the Panthers have scored the following points.....

41 against the Saints

19 against the Bucs

17 against the Browns

34 against the Falcon

27 against the Cardinals

That's an average of 27.6 points per game. Do you think we have finally found a identity to this team? Found some consistency? I was a big critic of his early this year and honestly expected a change after our losing streak. If we get to the NFC championship game does he stick next year? Contrast from the losing streak we had....

17 against the Packers

9 against the Seahawks

10 against the Saints

21 against the Eagles

17 against the Falcons

13 against the Vikings

That's an average of 14.5 points per game. What are your thoughts?

Do the same breakdown for the defense and there's the answer to the turnaround, I think.

Also, take away the 14 points the D scored in the Atlanta game and the average drops by almost a FG a game. No biggie, just saying.

Remmers and Norwell make Shula look a lot better.

BUT we have gotten some points off of turnovers and short fields. So the combination of those two things has been big part of success.

I still think he should be replaced

I felt that way until the last 3 games.  Not because  anything Shula did, but more because of how inept other team offenses look when CJ and the boys live in the backfield.   The way we looked the last few weeks is how everyone who played us looked weeks 3-12.  One bad Olineman can cause failure in whatever you are running.  2-3 bad lineman and it's amazing you can do anything.  I started to hear how Arizona need to address their Oline in the off-season after our game.  I heard no one mention it before the game.

Everyone knows Cam has been covering the deficiencies in our Oline with his ability to scramble.  When his mobility disappeared the Oline was shown for what it truly was.  How as an O coordinator can you call a play and factor in that Amini is going to get pushed on his ass by a linebacker on the snap?  How do you factor Chandler and Turner double teaming the guard and letting the DE come in clean?  I can't see Shula calling down to Cam.. "Ok second and 8 we are going to call a 12 yard dig with KB dropping the ball".  

Even watching other games such as the Colts/Bengals. Checking out  Andrew Luck today, he had a 4 yard halo around him most of the game.  It was amazing. Don't get me wrong, he got hit and he stood in there strong.  But even without a running game, he wasn't getting pressured unless it was a blitz.   Factor that with T.Y. "take the top off your defense " Hilton, it was enlightening seeing what having certain personnel allow you to do.   I mean the even showed a graphic showing how much of a pocket he had.  

I just don't see how the GM and HC are going to fire Shula when they know who we have out there executing the offense.   Maybe another OC would be better but I just don't see how another one would have gotten something better out of this Oline/WR core.

We started letting Cam carry the team, keep the tempo fast, and call audibles. It's absolutely without fail that every time our offense has stalled in these past 5 wins, it was when we slowed down and started huddling again.

In other words Shula's offense is better the less Shula it has in it.

This offense, when it scores, scores despite Shula's input, not because of it.

Archived