• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jangler

I thought it was pretty good. If it were split into 2 movies it'd be great(maybe even 3). By the end of it I was about to fall out. Definitely don't see it after a huge meal and a bottle of wine.

It reminded me of Dances with Wolves too, but that's ok - movies normally aren't about the story itself but how it's told. In Dances wit Wolves you felt a stronger connection to the natives though. They had personalities. You could really understand why Costner's character felt like he was one of them. But Avatar didn't have that - too much time had to be spent setting up the background story.

Split it into 2 movies with the first going in more depth about the main character. He starts off as a stereotypical jarhead but suddenly transitions after only a few months with the natives.

too bad this movie will be far less impressive when it hits blu ray. It's just one of those you HAVE to go see in Imax and then never see again.
I'm curious if people who didn't see it on IMAX has the same perception of the film as the people who did. However, I believe part of the intent was to give people a reason to go watch it on the big screen instead of waiting for it to come out on DVD/Blu-Ray.

I'm already hearing it's going to be heavily nominated for multiple awards. It certainly has ground to stand on in visual and technical stuff but if it's in acting or storytelling... :frown2:

Cameron created a story (and kept your attention) with a pretty emotional topic, colonization, and did it with weird-looking half alien/half human beings. That is pretty damn impressive in my book. To be able to create something like "The People" and have an audience be emotionally into the movie is hard to do. Most directors can't even do it with human beings as the stars, much less a weird group of alien things.

People have some misguided expectations about movies. I'm NEVER let down when I see a movie. Ever.

I know going in what I'm gonna get and my movie itch is always scratched.

I can tell if a movie is a total dog and if it's dvd or dollar movie worthy.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived