• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'Xs and Os' vs 'Jimmys and Joes'

Mr. Scot

An ongoing debate among football analysts is the importance of coaching.  Some say coaching is huge.  Others say it's good players that make a coach look smart.  A popular saying for those who believe in the latter philosophy is that it's not so much about the Xs and Os as it is the Jimmys and the Joes.

From the looks of things, our best hope for next season is for that saying to be true.

With Dave Gettleman declining to step on Ron Rivera's toes in regard to his staff, it seems unlikely that any changes to the existing staff will occur.  Deficiencies in the coaching, particularly on the offense and special teams, were a heavy topic of discussion last year.  Sad to say a lot of those discussions look to get repeated next year.

The good news?  This offseason's roster turnover may well be more interesting than it's been in a few years.

On the free agent front, Gettleman made it pretty clear that last year's choices were limited due to 'economics' (a word he used multiple times) and didn't sound especially happy about it.  Happily though, he also talked going forward about the team no longer being relegated to "dollar store" shopping in free agency.  He made it clear that they won't be blowing their whole piggy back on a single player, but that they'll be spreading it around to make sure the team as a whole is improved. 

Looking next at the draft, given the results so far, the team can rightly be said to have had two solid drafts in a row.  I'm not sure I remember the last time I felt like I could say that, but right now I do.  That encourages me to think that three in a row is a legitimate possibility.  Another good draft would go a long way toward setting us up as a team that can contend for the playoffs on a regular basis rather than an occasional one.

And then there's the undrafted pool, from whom we got two solid contributors and some other potentials this past year.  Gettleman stated his approach to college free agents is to target a small number of players that the team really likes rather than signing two dozen guys and hoping a few of them turn into something.  I like the idea of that.  Look forward to seeing if we can get more out of it.

So bottom line, if you're looking for improvement next season, it's more likely to come from a better roster than better coaching.  But then, looking at how Gettleman's done so far on that front, that might not be a bad thing.

Not bad at all.

It's maddening if we keep the ST coach. He led the 30th ranked unit. How does finishing in the bottom three allow you to keep your job?

How did he keep his job after the historic Vikings 2 TD punt block massacre?

Rivera's contention is that the special teams miscues happened primarily because some of their best special teamers were hurt.

Don't know that I buy it, but I'm hoping the 'philosophical change' of going after special teams aces rather than just relying on backups winds up making Richard Rodgers look a whole lot smarter.

Rivera's contention is that the special teams miscues happened primarily because some of their best special teamers were hurt.

Don't know that I buy it, but I'm hoping the 'philosophical change' of going after special teams aces rather than just relying on backups winds up making Richard Rodgers look a whole lot smarter.

We definatelt lacked talent on special teams...even when healthy

I think you're too low on Rivera. His defensive mind is amazing and is the reason our D was elite last year and the 2nd part of this year. Shula is terrible and Rivera doesn't no poo about offense so I agree with you on the offensive side of the ball, but it will really be a combination of the two. What I think is most important for us is to have a bell-cow back that our offense is built around. Shula could call a decent game if we had an elite o-line and RB to base it around. If Stew can play the whole season I think we have a legitimate shot at that, with Turner and Norwell both expected to improve and assuming we get an upgrade at LT. I think I'm more excited for this upcoming season than any in the past.

I think you're too low on Rivera. His defensive mind is amazing and is the reason our D was elite last year and the 2nd part of this year. Shula is terrible and Rivera doesn't no poo about offense so I agree with you on the offensive side of the ball, but it will really be a combination of the two. What I think is most important for us is to have a bell-cow back that our offense is built around. Shula could call a decent game if we had an elite o-line and RB to base it around. If Stew can play the whole season I think we have a legitimate shot at that, with Turner and Norwell both expected to improve and assuming we get an upgrade at LT. I think I'm more excited for this upcoming season than any in the past.

When it comes to defensive scheming and motivation, Rivera is legitimately one of the best coaches in the League.

But a head coach also has to have some talent evaluation skills since he's the one who sets the depth chart and fills out his staff.

That's the area where Rivera has issues.

I think that's very debatable.

The telling thing for me is that a lot of the improvements this season didn't come until someone got injured.

That, plus when Rivera says he thinks Shula and Rodgers are doing well, I think he actually believes it.

NFL.....give me jimmy and joes over coaching.

Talent driven league. A bad coach can win the Super Bowl with great talent

Really didnt work for the Broncos this year. Now Fox is getting fired because the Jimmys didnt perform.

I will pick good coaching over great players any day but it take a combo of both to have something great.

IMO the "Shula is terrrible" theme is overrated. While Shula is not his father we have had worse OCs. Now Special Teams is bad as advertised though. How Rivera can sit by and say job well done there is unexceptionable.

Really didnt work for the Broncos this year. Now Fox is getting fired because the Jimmys didnt perform.

I will pick good coaching over great players any day but it take a combo of both to have something great.

IMO the "Shula is terrrible" theme is overrated. While Shula is not his father we have had worse OCs. Now Special Teams is bad as advertised though. How Rivera can sit by and say job well done there is unexceptionable.

Peyton has a Frankenstein rebuilt neck and can't throw anymore......

See Jim Caldwell. Easy.

And the NFL is tough. Winning Super Bowl also requires some luck regardless.

Archived