• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deflate-Gate: Patriots Being Investigated For Deflated Footballs

It also complies with what I said repeatedly that it only applies to a perenial winner, not to losers or nobodies.

No one cares if the Panthers cheat or not. The fans ignore it and others just dont care.

With the articles I posted above along with others coming out from others, there are more disadvantages to underinflated footballs, lower velocity etc with the added disadvantages of overweighting them when wet.

This would suggest it outright stupid for a team to do it for themselves and more a way for an opposing team to sabotage.

Either way its just too stupid. Either nothing happened or it will come out the ball boy was a Colts fan,...

Slightly underinflated footballs are easier to grip, throw, catch and hold onto; all of which means better ball security which is a significant advantage in a football game.

98.5 The Sports Hub’s “Toucher and Rich Show” reports that the Patriots turned in their game balls slightly under-inflated and an official — presumably head referee Walt Anderson — signed off on them. The show’s source indicated that a pressure gauge was not used.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_nfl_approved_under_inflated_balls_from_patriots/18162203?linksrc=story_sitewide_yardbarker_footer_head_18162203

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/physicist-emailed-us-explain-exactly-143048032.html

It basically comes down to this: The Patriots do something to prepare the balls. Their preparation increases the PSI by 1 pound. Over time that PSI would naturally deflate by a pound once the preparation is done. But the Patriots also hand the ball to the referees, who artificially let out 1 pound. So, then the ball naturally loses about one more PSI, making it underinflated. 

The article has the physicist's full email & explanation which includes the temperature change of the air changing the PSI. To me it makes perfect sense. BTW the refs 'artificially' let out 1 PSI when they tested the balls is what he says.

Again as I posted from the ESPN Florio article and this one, the Patriots did domething unorthodoxed, but broke no rules.

There is no rule on what temperature the air used to inflate the ball was, and no rule about where the balls are tested.

Its having a receiver check in ineligible and another line up at left tackle eligible.

No cheating. Just being smart.

Slightly underinflated footballs are easier to grip, throw, catch and hold onto; all of which means better ball security which is a significant advantage in a football game.

I already posted the sports science video and heres the article version.

They debunked any advantage and conversely found several disadvantages. Lower velocity, decreased range. Added water from rain increases the weight significantly.

Maybe if the weather is bad you give up the velocity accuracy and range so your running back in theory holds onto the now heavier ball better?

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2015/01/deflategate-gets-sport-science-treatment/

What I don't get and the question (I don't think) anyone has asked yet--Why would a lone attendant carrying 24 footballs in 2 bags stop at the rest room?  Would he not go to the restroom when he wasn't loaded down with footballs, a period that I do not imagine was to be a prolonged situation? WHen they said he did not have enough time to alter the balls (90 seconds), does that rule out that he already had a bag of altered balls in the restroom and simply switched them? The restroom is one place where there are no cameras--surely they know that.   I am not asking if it was probable, I am asking if it is possible.  Heck, that is how I would do it if I was going to play with illegal footballs.  2 identical bags, one to the refs that the Pats never intended to play with, the other doctored, placed in the men's room where a quick switch was easily possible.

Before you dismiss this idea, remember that he filmed other teams' signals and exhibits no remorse.  Remember that Goodell (buddy and employee of Kraft) destroyed the notes and videos after his investigation into that matter, and never gave a reason for doing so.  Remember Hurney's comments.

Yes, this is a conspiracy theory based on facts presented.  However, no alternative theory explains to me how the Colt's footballs, that underwent identical treatment, were all in compliance.  If the Patriots didn't have a history of accusations for cheating and underhanded maneuvering, then maybe they get a pass on this one--but this is the same team, same coach, etc.  that cheated before.  They deserve this scrutiny, innocent or not.

I already posted the sports science video and heres the article version.

They debunked any advantage and conversely found several disadvantages. Lower velocity, decreased range. Added water from rain increases the weight significantly.

Maybe if the weather is bad you give up the velocity accuracy and range so your running back in theory holds onto the now heavier ball better?

http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2015/01/deflategate-gets-sport-science-treatment/

One, your link doesn't actually say what you claim it does (were you figuring no one would check it out?)

And two, the people who actually manufacture the footballs say the Pats explanation is bulls--t.

Wilson: Patriots explanation is BS

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/physicist-emailed-us-explain-exactly-143048032.html

The article has the physicist's full email & explanation which includes the temperature change of the air changing the PSI. To me it makes perfect sense. BTW the refs 'artificially' let out 1 PSI when they tested the balls is what he says.

Which is garbage.

The refs didn't do anything but inspect the footballs, after which they were improperly taken by a Patriots employee to a bathroom.

None of these "it's magic" explanations have offered any explanation as to how it only occurred to one team's footballs.

I guess I can only say what I have seen over the years, and I have never seen the ball boys carry bags of footballs anywhere near a bathroom.

And its not a typical stadium bathroom you guys are used to. Its a door with a lock and one toilet. I was in that very same bathroom in August.

Absolutely 0 reason why anyone would take those balls in there unless it was something that he didn't want anyone to see. (lock on door, no cameras).

I guess I can only say what I have seen over the years, and I have never seen the ball boys carry bags of footballs anywhere near a bathroom.

And its not a typical stadium bathroom you guys are used to. Its a door with a lock and one toilet. I was in that very same bathroom in August.

Absolutely 0 reason why anyone would take those balls in there unless it was something that he didn't want anyone to see. (lock on door, no cameras).

But I'm sure it wasn't for anything improper.

I mean, it's not like the Patriots have a history of cheating or anything, right?

Archived