• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers "Ready to Spend" ~ Bert Jensen

SCP

I see us signing an OT like Doug Free or Derek Newton. Dunlap will more than likely be the #1 FA tackle which means he will probably be over paid.

Maybe a WR and back up DT. maclin would be a great fit because he could return punts. smith would be my #2 option.

I don't know how the safety market will look but I have a feeling we may draft a safety and CB.

Seeing as Dave Gettleman does crazy stuff like think about the future beyond the upcoming season, I wouldn't expect him to go out and instantly max out our cap.

I think you are exactly right, but I also think $ 15 million mentioned is a bit conservative.  He can save $10 million by extending Davis a couple years and cutting a few players alone. 

I think he is down to the point where he can restructure without too much risk.  Kalil might get an extension, Davis spreads out the hit in 2015, CJ's contract is ridiculous, etc.  but we can't do much with it as it stands.

I will always hate Marty Hurney.

As I read this article, one thing comes to mind, (aside from the fact that he references Offensive Tackles when he probably meant to say Defensive Tackles)--he has NO inside information. No unique slant, no scoop.   He pretty much looked at a free agent list and grabbed his computer to fill up some space because the man has to eat. 

As I read this article, one thing comes to mind, (aside from the fact that he references Offensive Tackles when he probably meant to say Defensive Tackles)--he has NO inside information. No unique slant, no scoop.   He pretty much looked at a free agent list and grabbed his computer to fill up some space because the man has to eat. 

That puts him at least on the same level as David Newton.

That puts him at least on the same level as David Newton.

I don't read or watch ESPN more than I have to, so I will take your word on Newton.  I think Brett's article is a bit misleading because it does not seem to take into account money that will be saved by extending a few players and cutting a few more.  In fact, he doesn't seem  to have any idea about cap space, so he quotes outside sources.  I find it really disturbing when a Charlotte-area Panther reporter quotes outside sources (See Person, Joe).  Heck, the title of the piece is misleading,  I call it a piece because that it was this is.

However, it is the off season, and we have an obligation to share anything written about the Panthers so we can decide for ourselves (individually) how good or relevant it is.  So this is in no way a criticism of SCP for posting.  It is interesting to know what some of the reporter's opinions are.

Archived