• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Time to cut DeAngelo Williams.

AKPantherFan

He is our best running back. Just because a bunch of guys with fresh legs come in late and run behind and improved o-line doesn't make them better. What would I have invested in D-Will? I am invested in having our best players on the field

Williams is our best RB, that is why the coaches were so anxious to get him back out there even with a broken hand

Williams is not better than Stewart. Isn't suppose to be so it isn't even a diss. He also isn't better than Fozzy who himself isn't spectacular.

Fresh leg defense? Williams had fresh legs to open up the season. He was an average RB. Stewart was an above average RB when ready. It really isn't worth a debate at this stage. Fozzy also showed noticeable better burst and running.

Claiming Williams is the best RB would be on par to claiming Cotchery was our best WR last year. He had stuff between the ears our other WRs didn't, experience, etc that made him better in some aspects......but not as threat on the field. 2 rookies were better in that regard

And this is why people get labeled as "haters".....bc outlandish claims are made about Williams and then reality has to be brought in. He isn't our best RB now, wasnt last season and wasnt a top 5 RB in 2013.

He is our best running back.  Just because a bunch of guys with fresh legs come in late and run behind and improved o-line doesn't make them better.  What would I have invested in D-Will?  I am invested in having our best players on the field

Williams is our best RB, that is why the coaches were so anxious to get him back out there even with a broken hand

Stewart is much better and that's why he kept taking the bulk of the carries. 

If he does get cut, I will miss him. DWill has been a great player for us, even under appreciated most his career.

He is nothing but a class act and It will be sad not seeing 34 not balling out.

But unless the FO and him come to some drastic team friendly deal (vet min) it's time to say goodbye.

I say that with reservation cause I know he can still beast out.

And Stewart cannot stay healthy.

Ughh

I'm actually going against the crowd here and am ok if he stays (or goes). The way his contract is structured it cost us 300k to cut him. If he's a June 1st cut we save a few mil this year but still pay what we would next year (but in dead money), when his salary is cheap for the last two years of his contract anyway.

It really comes down to whether or not Gettlemen and Rivera believe he was hindered by injuries, bad o-line, or other issues or if they believe he's simply done. If it's the former, I hope he stays. Having a D-will on the roster who played like he did pre 2014 would be worth the 2 mil salary in 2016 and possibly 2017. 

The number in blue is dead money and the number before it is the cap hit.

2015 panthers.png$1,850,000 $3,200,000 $333,333 $150,000 $800,000 $6,333,333 $6,600,000

2016 panthers.png$1,000,000 - $333,333 - $800,000 $2,133,333 $2,266,666

2017 panthers.png$1,000,000 - $333,334 - $800,000 $2,133,334 $1,133,334

If he does get cut, I will miss him. DWill has been a great player for us, even under appreciated most his career.

He is nothing but a class act and It will be sad not seeing 34 not balling out.

But unless the FO and him come to some drastic team friendly deal (vet min) it's time to say goodbye.

I say that with reservation cause I know he can still beast out.

And Stewart cannot stay healthy.

Ughh

Eh, not his fault but Hurney paid him to be great. He had one great season and that was before he got paid....

His paycheck was his curse in the sense that I don't think you can say he was underappreciated

Ultimately, bc of the Hurney blueprint he was put in a situation where he could never live up to what he was paid to be.

He is one of the top 5 worst deals we have ever made. Again, not his fault really but it was what it was.

I'm actually going against the crowd here and am ok if he stays (or goes). The way his contract is structured it cost us 300k to cut him. If he's a June 1st cut we save a few mil this year but still pay what we would next year (but in dead money), when his salary is cheap for the last two years of his contract anyway.

It really comes down to whether or not Gettlemen and Rivera believe he was hindered by injuries, bad o-line, or other issues or if they believe he's simply done. If it's the former, I hope he stays. Having a D-will on the roster who played like he did pre 2014 would be worth the 2 mil salary in 2016 and possibly 2017.

2015 panthers.png$1,850,000 $3,200,000 $333,333 $150,000 $800,000 $6,333,333 $6,600,000

I think u have to look beyond the numbers....

Him staying means an even worse version of 34 shows up next year (age).....and he continues to keep talent off the field. Can't really afford that

I think u have to look beyond the numbers....

Him staying means an even worse version of 34 shows up next year (age).....and he continues to keep talent off the field. Can't really afford that

I doubt it. If he stays I bet we se him play the role he did near the end of the season. And let's be honest. Dude knows the offense. When Stewart goes down again u want fozzy?

Not that he can't do it, but having dwill there makes me feel a lot better about our RB situation.

Remember how well we were running when both were out.

Not good.

I agree that Deangelo is on the decline, and that Stewart should get the majority of the carries next year, but I still believe that Williams is a better back up than most teams in the league have right now.

Cutting him doesn't help our cap much at all. It just creates a whole bunch of dead money. So if money isn't an issue, the question then becomes, "Is DeAngelo Williams worth a roster spot at this stage of his career?"

As a back up, I say yes. He at least deserves a chance to show us if he's still got it or not in training camp.

2016 and 2017 are voidable years.  He isn't obligated to play those years.  They are pretty much dummy years added to the contract to spread out some of the cap cost.

The numbers you listed above about him being cut are inline with what others have said in the past, including myself. 

His cap hit this year is $6.3m, with $6.6m in dead money.  If we release him before June 1st we would lose 300k in cap space.

If we designate him a June 1st cut that dead money is split over 2 years.  $4.33 mil in 2015 and $2.27 mil in 2016.  As you can see we would save about $2 mil this year and would lose about $2.27 next.

Like I said earlier these are the numbers that I have seen in the past, but recently Spotrac.com had an article about roster bonuses that were about to come due.  It states that he has a roster bonus of $1,000,000 due in March.

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/breaking-down-upcoming-salary-guarantees-or-roster-bonuses-by-nfl-team-501/

There is a possibility that the team will not be responsible for that amount if he is cut before then, even though some websites have included that amount as part of his dead money.

If that is the case his dead money would only be $5.6m if cut before the date of the option bonus. 

In this scenerio the team would save $700k, instead of losing $300k if cut outright and would have no cap hit in 2016.

The calculator at overthecap.com shows this also.

http://overthecap.com/calculator/carolina-panthers

Archived