• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and Cam Newton in contract talks

bLACKpANTHER

I can't wait to play the AFC South this year. They are terrible. The only reason you can't say they are a worse division than ours is because of the Colts.

When you consider the fact that the second best QB in that division is Fitzpatrick you have to realize how terrible a division it is.

There was one week where the entire division outside of the Colts had 3 points cumulative through 3 quarters in their respective games.

NFCS has average teams across the board and a terrible Tampa team. But 3 of our 4 teams would be second best team in AFC South.

And before anyone goes there, the Texans do indeed suck.

Agreed.

Saints ,Falcons and of course, us....would wreck the Texans.   I would even give the bucs the benefit of the doubt against the Texans.  Those little bastards did go up to Pitt and beat the Steelers last season.

• Pie 2

So much for having spare money for F/A's and other contracts to give Cam help. We are fuged unless DG can make some magic happen.

You should've wanted it done last year then instead of [some of the morons around here who are continuously] wanting to keep pushing it back each year so Cam can keep "proving himself" based on an ever-changing marker.

Cam's reps are smart to let Luck and Wilson reset the market because the Panthers should've gotten his extension done a year ago.

Edited by ThinkAboutIt
  • Pie 2

i'm guessing cam won't break the bank in total salary but he'll want a lot of it guaranteed.

That's smart. Those #1 pick contracts used to be full of guaranteed money, a contract that Cam was (rightly) denied under the new (better) system. He was still a #1 pick, didn't suck, and set records despite an inept front office and head coach most of his tenure, so more guaranteed money is "justified" in his case.

If he was drafted 100th, he'd still want it, but I'd say different even if he'd earned it.

Edited by ThinkAboutIt

I can't calm down damnit! I feel like that chick from Airplane lol. My beloved franchise has been in the shitter up until recently because of Hurney drafting after the second round and the cap. Do you really blame me for freaking out a little bit at the thought of going through cap hell all over again? I worry some don't see the big picture sometimes. I need an ambien and a Prozac right about now.

The problem has been Johnson, Stewart, Godfrey and DeAngelo's contracts, not whatever Cam gets. If those four guys' had gotten more acceptable deals, no one with a clue would be calling $20M a year for Cam/QB "cap hell."

The worst thing about Cams expected contract isn't the size, it's that once that's done and Hardy is gone, what the hell are we going to talk about?

Luke is also up for an extension this offseason. Person could've discussed how that might factor into the Panthers' offseason moves. Cutting DeAngelo won't be close to enough.

Proving yet again that "fans" are idiots. Even a Jordan/Bulls hater should be able to acknowledge a fact.

FACT > your emotions

MJ being the greatest is not a FACT. To suggest he's the best "by a huge margin" like that fella suggested, or that him being the best is a fact, is absolutely absurd. I grew up watching the doctor, the stilt, kareem, russell, elgin baylor, etc. all play way before MJ, and I would accept arguments of any of those guys being better, though I myself would probably go with MJ-but only slightly. Nothing is fact when it comes to comparing greats. Everybody who grew up watching Jordan and none of the guys before him, think like you. Same with all the young fellas nowadays who think LeBron is "by a huge margin" the greatest ever, except with LeBron instead of Jordan. It's a generational thing that fugs up your thinking, and an arrogance that makes you so certain you're right. Have fun thinking that way sir.

• Pie 1

No qb wants a kaep type of contract.

Especially not one on a team that opened last season with Bell and Chandler as the starting tackles. We've had Cam on a discount for 4 years now, being the first team to draft a #1 overall under the new rookie wage scale........and we've failed to build around him. Now that he has gotten his ass kicked behind some of the worst Oline line-ups in franchise history.....some want him to take a discount under the promise that we'll build around him more.

Well said.