• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Free Agent News

Mr. Scot

A good OT can get signed to a 6-7 million a year deal and people on this board will console themselves with "ha! At least we didn't overpay! Value baby!" as Byron bell spends 4 years flailing and drowning as journeymen DE blow by him, taunt him for being a lefty, stop at a drive-thru, play 4 games of solitaire on their Sony VAIO and then hit Cam's blindside and we all have to hear Dex yell about how terrible Cam is.

I'm with you that talent demands money. Maybe not with you on the definition of "value". I don't think Bell is a value signing; there wasn't talent there. Although he was cheap, he didn't bring anything to the table.  I don't think we should be signing big money players just to sign big money players.. but I also  don't think we should sign piles of garbage just to say we saved a couple of bucks.

I think constantly trying to get the best bang for buck leads to the opportunity improve the team and remain open to signing that good OT for 6-7 mil or to Keep your good QB, DT, LB etc

Anyone who thinks only losing teams are active players in FA is being willfully ignorant.

Or maybe knows the difference between big spending and smart spending.

(that particular distinction seems to elude the grasp of several on here)

Or maybe knows the difference between big spending and smart spending.

(that particular distinction seems to elude the grasp of several on here)

The Panthers are doing neither so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Additionally, "big spending" on this board has consistently proven to be perceived as anything over 2 million a year so that argument really doesn't hold much weight anyways

5 MIL A YEAR!! WHAAT?! GIVE ME MY VALUE INSTEAD!

Sip that Kool-aid, son! "Derp. We're going to be ELITE in a few years, guys." This board has been saying that for over a decade.

This.

This. Johnson and Gore had all the choice in the world to come play with Cam. But they chose an overrated QB, with the best WRs in football, who play in the softest division in the NFL instead.

That last line was sarcasm.

We've had our current GM for over a decade?

Did we actually fire Marty Hurney in 2005 and I missed it?

I swear, to hear some folks talk you'd think Dave Gettleman's been running this team for longer than just two seasons.

You guys do realize what hiring a new GM means things change, right?

And for the record, Im not so sure the return on Gore and Johnson is going to be all that much for them anyways. But the philosophy as a whole has certainly worked for them over the years, as it has for New England, Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, Philly.

The Panthers are doing neither so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Sigh... Every.  Single.  Year.  Every year people freak the fug out when the Panthers don't wildly overspend on the elite FA talent.

We signed Ginn and Oher.  Ginn was a guy we really wanted to keep last year and Oher was a guy we had interest in last year before the Titans way overpaid.

Free agency hasn't even officially began yet.  Calm down, bro.  We're still going to sign some more guys, but don't get your panties in a wad when we're not handing out long-term contracts with suitcases full of guaranteed money because that's not going to happen.

Sip that Kool-aid, son! "Derp. We're going to be ELITE in a few years, guys." This board has been saying that for over a decade.

This.

This. Johnson and Gore had all the choice in the world to come play with Cam. But they chose an overrated QB, with the best WRs in football, who play in the softest division in the NFL instead.

That last line was sarcasm.

I doubt Gore had any interest from PNthers FO and Andre is on the last stretch of his career.

I just get the feeling that the Panthers want Their true talent to come from the draft. it's worked pretty well so fAr

And for the record, Im not so sure the return on Gore and Johnson is going to be all that much for them anyways. But the philosophy as a whole has certainly worked for them over the years, as it has for New England, Denver, San Francisco, Seattle, Philly.

You mean the philosophy of falling backasswards into elite QBs in the draft?

The fact that they only got one ring out of Manning's run is a testament to how poorly they managed that team.  Peyton Manning alone essentially guarantees you a playoff spot year in and year out.  They consistently got bounced early because they never built a defense.

Archived