• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Sign Michael Oher

Mr. Scot

NFL.com:

"The Oher signing was a head-scratcher from the start . He had been a primary culprit in the Baltimore Ravens ' historically inept 2013 rushing attack and was no better in 11 games with the Titans . ... Even with a first-round pedigree and a household name, he's going to face a cold market for his services."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000468953/article/michael-oher-waivedinjured-by-tennessee-titans?campaign=Twitter_atn_wesseling

TotalTitans.com:

"When I wrote about the free agent offensive tackles before free agency began last year, I put Oher under the heading “He’s famous, just not very good.” While he was not the league’s worst right tackle in 2013, he was still pretty bad. And guess what? With the Titans, he played at roughly the same level he had in 2013."

http://totaltitans.com/2015-articles/titans-release-rt-michael-oher.html

from his Mar 10, 2014 article:

"HE’S FAMOUS, JUST NOT VERY GOOD: Michael Oher (Baltimore Ravens)-Former first-round pick has started all 80 games of his NFL career. Had a best-selling book and Academy Award-winning movie based on his life. Has played some left tackle, not just on the right side. Still young, turning 28 in May. Why is he a free agent, you wonder? Simple: he has not been very good at successfully blocking people."

http://totaltitans.com/2014-articles/assessing-the-free-agent-ot-class-from-a-titans-perspective.html

We are still not sure where you stand on this signing. Please post another quote so we can really be sure.

We get it...you do not like it. Move on dude.

There is nothing in the OT FA market this year. So the choice what a vet OT was Bell or someone like Oher. I will take Oher.

I still see OT early in the draft.

Edited by MadHatter

Gettleman has drafted for need in his first 2 seasons and people still perpetuate BPA.

I find this amusing as well. As if it was random coincidence that they happened to be at two of the most desperately needed positions on the roster in their respective years.

NFL business writer at Forbes Vincent Frank:

"Starting all 11 games in 2014—his first season with the Titans— Oher put up an absolutely dreadful performance... An underwhelming performer at the NFL level, Oher’s biggest claim to fame comes from the movie Blindside starring Sandra Bullock, who received an Oscar nomination for her role as Oher’s adopted mother.

Originally a left tackle after being selected in the first round of the 2009 draft, he had to switch to the right side of the line after failing as a blindside protector for then teammate Joe Flacco with the Ravens. Considering Oher is viewed as one of the worst-run blocking exterior linemen in the NFL, it’s unlikely that he will be able to move inside."

http://sportsnaut.com/2015/02/tennessee-titans-release-michael-oher/

• Pie 3

Gettleman has drafted for need in his first 2 seasons and people still perpetuate BPA.

it's probably a compromise between the best player on his board and team needs.  like if marcus mariota were to be available when we pick somehow i doubt gettleman would select him.

it's more apparent in the later rounds though.  drafting ealy instead of going morgan moses or another tackle, double dipping at defensive back and actually trading up to get bene, drafting a guard in the third instead of reaching for a tackle prospect, and so on.

An injured Michael Oher is likely not to be much better than a healthy Byron Bell (as exemplified last year).

I just don't see how a HEALTHY Michael Oher, under a coach he admires and *understands*, can be anything BUT an improvement over Byron Bell.

Everyone is an improvement over Byron Bell. #KeepPounding
  • Pie 1