• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This whole drafting the best player available talk around here is ridiculous

GoobyPls

Neither Gurley or any corner taken would contribute to extent of a WR or OT. Those guys would be fighting to get snaps

Exactly what argument are you trying to make?

The Gurley thread is about the idea that IF Gurley is the beast people think he might be then would the Huddle be mad if the Panthers drafted him. That's it. It's a discussion about people's opinion about the largely consensus number 1 RB in a long time...who is coming off an injury.

So he might not impact immediately but could work his way in and become great because of what's happening AFTER next season.

Not every draft pick is for an IMMEDIATE need. I would argue that the Luke pick was both picking up a great player (#2 in NCAA tackles all time as at the end of his junior year) AND insurance against Beason getting hurt again. We played him at OLB because Beason was the starter.

So ranting about the other threads thinking that BPA means check your brain at the door and literally pick the best player available (even if he's a Kicker in the first round) is what NO ONE is saying. Literally. Except you.

Neither Gurley or any corner taken would contribute to extent of a WR or OT. Those guys would be fighting to get snaps

But the entire crux of the BPA argument is that your strengths and weaknesses don't stay constant from year to year. We went from Terrell McClain and Sione Fua to KK and Star in one year.

Go look at this board at this exact date last year and the general consensus was that CB was a HUGE need, maybe the biggest on the team along with offensive line. Fast forward to today and it seems absurd to think of CB as a weakness.

This is why you draft the best players that are there and figure out how they fit into your scheme afterward. Because while it might seem like a glut at one position all it takes is a retirement, decline in play, injury, free agency departure, etc. to all of a sudden be thin at a position.

If we draft a stud DB and then Norman has a great year and leaves, all of a sudden it doesn't look like a bad idea.

You can't draft based on your strengths and weaknesses every year because it is a constantly changing, fluid process.

But the entire crux of the BPA argument is that your strengths and weaknesses don't stay constant from year to year. We went from Terrell McClain and Sione Fua to KK and Star in one year.

Go look at this board at this exact date last year and the general consensus was that CB was a HUGE need, maybe the biggest on the team along with offensive line. Fast forward to today and it seems absurd to think of CB as a weakness.

This is why you draft the best players that are there and figure out how they fit into your scheme afterward. Because while it might seem like a glut at one position all it takes is a retirement, decline in play, injury, free agency departure, etc. to all of a sudden be thin at a position.

If we draft a stud DB and then Norman has a great year and leaves, all of a sudden it doesn't look like a bad idea.

You can't draft based on your strengths and weaknesses every year because it is a constantly changing, fluid process.

Great points.

Also, if we get a 3rd CB to be cemented in this D, that's a huge asset.  Especially if can play slot + outside and has that deep speed we really need back there, that's a guy getting in on 60%+ of snaps.  Huge contributor.  We didn't get Ball and still just have Melvin White, Williams and Byndom behind Norman and Bene. 

I think that the key words are "on our board." Gett is not going to have a QB, DT or MLB on the board in the first couple of rounds. It is bpa, but that would only apply to players on the Panthers board. Hope this clears it up. By the way in the event we were drafting first you better believe that Gett would be cashing in and trading down rather than drafting the true bpa Winston.

Actually he did, if I recall Davis was coming off another injury and they plugged in Luke at OLB until Beason got hurt

If you can show me a presser or interview where someone with the Panthers said they feel like Luke's skillset translated well to OLB, I'll concede the argument. They drafted Luke as BPA and figured out the fit afterward to get him on the field.

In fact, one could argue that Luke Kuechly is the gotdamn poster child for BPA. We had an all-pro MLB and drafted Luke anyway, and now Luke is the best MLB in football by a wide margin. Had we reached for need we'd still have Beason (no disrespect, but he's not Luke) and someone like Mark Barron because we would have reached for need.

Draft good football players first. Your needs will change every single year.

We drafted Star which was a need, we drafted Benjamin who was a need. Almost every draft expert had us picking a DT in 2013 and WR in 2014.

All I'm saying is we seem to draft for need more than often.

We also can't get ahead of ourselves, our goal is to win the SB next season (isn't it?) we can't be thinking of what's going to happen in 2016. I want guys who can help reach our goal next season.

We drafted Star which was a need, we drafted Benjamin who was a need. Almost every draft expert had us picking a DT in 2013 and WR in 2014.

All I'm saying is we seem to draft for need more than often.

We also can't get ahead of ourselves, our goal is to win the SB next season (isn't it?) we can't be thinking of what's going to happen in 2016. I want guys who can help reach our goal next season.

I genuinely believe that our recent picks filled a need by coincidence, not need.

Gettleman was glowing when talking about Benjamin. Can't coach 6'5" 240 blah blah.

He wanted that guy and didn't delay when he was still on the board at our pick, regardless of a need at WR.

If you can show me a presser or interview where someone with the Panthers said they feel like Luke's skillset translated well to OLB, I'll concede the argument. They drafted Luke as BPA and figured out the fit afterward to get him on the field.

In fact, one could argue that Luke Kuechly is the gotdamn poster child for BPA. We had an all-pro MLB and drafted Luke anyway, and now Luke is the best MLB in football by a wide margin. Had we reached for need we'd still have Beason (no disrespect, but he's not Luke) and someone like Mark Barron because we would have reached for need.

Draft good football players first. Your needs will change every single year.

So Hurney also went by the BPA motto?

And you show me where the plan was for Beason to get hurt and Luke takeover his position.

Luke was drafted to play OLB

I genuinely believe that are recent picks filled a need by coincidence, not need.

Gettleman was glowing when talking about Benjamin. Can't coach 6'5" 240 blah blah.

He wanted that guy and didn't delay when he was still on the board at our pick, regardless of a need at WR.

Maybe just maybe a need outweighs the BPA

It's not a coincidence almost every mock draft had us picking a WR

So Hurney also went by the BPA motto?

And you show me where the plan was for Beason to get hurt and Luke takeover his position.

Luke was drafted to play OLB

Again, show me something that says they drafted him to play OLB and I'll happily concede that you are right and I am wrong.

Saying well they had Beason in the middle doesn't count.

Archived