• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Patriots ineligible receiver play is out

Mr. Scot

NFL bans Patriots ineligible receiver ploy

The trick play the Patriots used against the Ravens in the playoffs will no longer be legal under an NFL rule adopted today.

The league has made it illegal for an offensive player with an eligible receiver’s jersey number (1-49 and 80-89) to report as an ineligible player and line up outside the tackle box. That means the play on which Patriots running back Shane Vereen lined up as an ineligible receiver in the slot would now be a penalty.

The two words "class" and "Patriots" should never be spoken in the same sentence.

I agree, but in this instance, what was classless about it? They outsmarted their opponent with a play within the rules at the time. Is that not what they are supposed to do?

To me, I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's kinda funny that it got banned because it caught some teams off guard and out of position honestly lol

I agree, but in this instance, what was classless about it? They outsmarted their opponent with a play within the rules at the time. Is that not what they are supposed to do?

To me, I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's kinda funny that it got banned because it caught so teams off guard and out of position honestly lol

I didn't know Rodeo changed his name.

I didn't know Rodeo changed his name.

I've had this account for years and I've hated the patriots ever since they beat us in the superbowl with a passion. But I really don't see what's wrong with that. You're telling me you would be made if Shula was smart enough to confuse defenses that way? I highly doubt it. Don't let your hate for a team cloud your judgment of the game. I hate Lebron James too, but he's the best player in the game. I hate the patriots, but those plays were smart.

Archived