• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Current Panthers Receiver Depth Chart

Jeremy Igo

Panthers list him as QB.

m

That's Interesting. I don't remember hearing of him even taking any snaps from the QB position last year. I thought he was coming around at the WR position.

With all your access, what's your guy feeling on the guy?

Brown is a high character guy with tremendous work ethic (according to coaches here and at Ohio State). He is a fan favorite. He has reliable hands, can run most of the route tree and he can get deep. He is not going anywhere.

If he doesn't get his special teams skills up and start being less fragile... He can easily be replaced. .

After your love affair with guys like David Gettis, and Denarius Moore, is it really fair for you to poo all over CB in this thread? I mean I'm not guaranteeing that he will be on the roster, he's got to bulk up some, but I think he has a legitimate shot at contributing here.

Not to mention he's only been in the league one season.

If he gets hurt again maybe things change, but I wouldn't write him off yet. It's still March...

Your continually bringing David Gettis up is lame because I never had a "love affair" with Gettis, I only thought that he should make the team above the likes of some of the other scrubs that are now gone, based upon his preseason productivity. That's it. But let me play into your lame game.

My undying love for David Gettis was a lesson in why I see the light. I have seen the light! No longer will I blindly accept, with a smile on my face and open arms, a JAG at wide receiver. Top Dawg has learnt his lesson.

Now in regards to DMo, the story hasn't been completed, but even if he washes out of the league, it won't be due to just talent alone. More knowledgeable men than I about football (e.g., Bill Polian) have rated Denarius Moore pretty highly in regards to the available free agents in 2015. Unfortunately I am not privy to the scuttlebutt between GMs and other league insiders, so I can't speak to those other concerns, only to say that maybe his work ethic and focus may be a big problem. That being said, I will live, and I still have trust in my eyes when it comes to a receiver's physical abilities.

As for Corey Brown, I don't think that I am shitting on him as much as I am just peeling back the scales of the fallacy-based fascination that he is so much better than other prospects that we can draft, or even some that are already on the team.

Now look at my answer to MV%doe below for more entertainment. Perhaps you will see why I believe that Boykin, whom people are already intimating will be just a camp body--that is, shitting on him---has a better opportunity to make the squad than Brown.

I'm starting to question if the people who don't believe in corey brown even watched any panther games. There was a difference when brown wasn't active, he's a keeper in my book.

That's funny because I've been trying to figure out if people who are so in love with Brown watched the games also. I mean he was active for 13 games and produced 296 yards and two TDs with a paltry 2.7 YAC average. I mean, really come on and be true about the situation, that's about as pedestrian as it gets when I put him on a scale with his peers. I mean, just think, Donte Moncrief played in 16 games as a WR3/4 produced 444 yards 3 TDs and an astounding 6.7 YAC average all while being roughly 40 pounds bigger and 3 inches taller. I calculated his YAC myself and didn't believe it, so I went to get confirmation.

Another WR3, Davante Adams, produced 446 yards in 16 games and 3 TDs with somewhere around 4.8 YAC. Of course he is also more of the prototypical size that teams covet.

And these are just a couple. I could have added Allen Robinson and Jarvis Landry for example, but I don't want to pile on.

Consequently, Jarrett Boykin has a much higher YAC as well, but he wasn't really used for all intents and purposes in his rookie season or last year, but during 2013 his YAC was 5.3. That went along with his 681 yards and 3 TDs. Again, he is a big, strong receiver that fits nicely with a big, strong QB that sometimes sails a few balls high.

So yes I watched all the Panthers games, as well as some other people's games. And not only going from my eye test, which I trust, even for the games I didn't see my suspicions and beliefs regarding Corey Brown being not as good as some of his peers in a similar position (much less other receivers in the game) are borne out by the stats.

We have gotten used to mediocrity since the glory days of Smith, Moose and Proehl. Wake up, Huddle! Snap out if it! It's OK to raise your expectations, even amid a downgraded version of Foxball. I mean that Ritz must taste mighty good to someone who has been relegated to eating bread and water behind bars somewhere in an ISIL prison, but it is still a damned cracker.

Your continually bringing David Gettis up is lame because I never had a "love affair" with Gettis, I only thought that he should make the team above the likes of some of the other scrubs that are now gone, based upon his preseason productivity. That's it. But let me play into your lame game.

My undying love for David Gettis was a lesson in why I see the light. I have seen the light! No longer will I blindly accept, with a smile on my face and open arms, a JAG at wide receiver. Top Dawg has learnt his lesson.

Now in regards to DMo, the story hasn't been completed, but even if he washes out of the league, it won't be due to just talent alone. More knowledgeable men than I about football (e.g., Bill Polian) have rated Denarius Moore pretty highly in regards to the available free agents in 2015. Unfortunately I am not privy to the scuttlebutt between GMs and other league insiders, so I can't speak to those other concerns, only to say that maybe his work ethic and focus may be a big problem. That being said, I will live, and I still have trust in my eyes when it comes to a receiver's physical abilities.

As for Corey Brown, I don't think that I am shitting on him as much as I am just peeling back the scales of the fallacy-based fascination that he is so much better than other prospects that we can draft, or even some that are already on the team.

Now look at my answer to MV%doe below for more entertainment. Perhaps you will see why I believe that Boykin, whom people are already intimating will be just a camp body--that is, shitting on him---has a better opportunity to make the squad than Brown.

Well I'm glad you learned a lesson. I agree with you on many things honestly. This isn't really one of them though of course.

Maybe you should take a look at your mentioned approach that you have taken with Denarius Moore (who has been in the league 4 seasons) that "the story hasn't been completed" and actually consider applying that to Corey Brown (who only has 1 single season under his belt).

That's really all I'm saying.

There may be a few homers here who see Brown as more than what he is, but most have pretty reasonable expectations. I think he could possibly be a good #3 for us if he adds some bulk and can stay healthy. We still need a #2 WR pretty badly though.

On Boykin, I don't know a whole lot about him, he'll compete just like Brown. I'm okay with the signing if he can impact on ST.

CB will get his chance, just like JB.  It would seem like all you Charlettonians would be more excited about a hometown product. Boy, you pump up the little guy, but poo on hometown products who would arguably fit into our offense much better and are larger receivers who some of you swore that Cam needed this time last year. A few years ago, there was some excitement about that hometown kid (whose name I just can't remember) who was trying to make the squad and made a couple of plays during preseason.  These days, you just talk down about guys before they can even get on the damned team and compete. 

Seems to me that some of you should take the emotion out of it---because it's not like any of the guys have been here long enough, or contributed in any appreciable way to have earned such loyalty---and concern yourselves with what's going to make the team better.  I have provided valid reasons as to why I believe what I believe regarding CB, but from his supporters all I hear is he is a fan favorite that has some potential.  All I am saying is that he is going to have to compete for my loyalty, just like the other receivers on the team (including on the practice squad), and looking at what I've seen I wouldn't bet the house on him to make the squad, much less be our WR3.  At this point, he is no better than Boykin, Hill, Mucas or any of them as far as I'm concerned, but if he takes a spot and kicks them to the curb I will accept it, just like I did last season.

You didn't hear me say too much about Brown during the season when he was screwing up the main job that he had. This is the offseason---the time for evaluation and upgrades---so Brown is fair game, and his stats and overall game are suspect when it comes to some of his peers.  He arguably is expendable now that we've signed Ginn, and don't let us draft someone like Ty Montgomery, Phillip Dorsett or Tre McBride...

We have gotten used to mediocrity since the glory days of Smith, Moose and Proehl. Wake up, Huddle! Snap out if it! It's OK to raise your expectations, even amid a downgraded version of Foxball. I mean that Ritz must taste mighty good to someone who has been relegated to eating bread and water behind bars somewhere in an ISIL prison, but it is still a damned cracker.

Your right. Mind control lol

I'm starting to question if the people who don't believe in corey brown even watched any panther games. There was a difference when brown wasn't active, he's a keeper in my book.

This.

He was getting open when others couldnt.

Seems size and speed are the only thing ppl look for in a wr but its not the case. You have GOT to be able to find ways to get open and philly does it. I really think if he bulks up and can stay healthy he is going to really contribute.

You all realize that Bersin is a bigger target than Boykin, right?

Well, that's kind of splitting hairs.

Boykin is a little heavier with a little better vertical and has a 79 inch wingspan versus Bersin's 76 inch wingspan according to strongright.com

This.

He was getting open when others couldnt.

Seems size and speed are the only thing ppl look for in a wr but its not the case. You have GOT to be able to find ways to get open and philly does it. I really think if he bulks up and can stay healthy he is going to really contribute.

Jarrett Boykin gets much better separation, and that is reflected in his much better YAC.  And that's just Jarett Boykin.

It's interesting what ESPN has on their website for our depth chart. 

Wide Receiver                        Wide Receiver 2 

-Kelvin Benjamin                      -Ted Ginn 

-Brenton Bersin                        -Jerricho Cotchery

-Jarrett Boykin                          -Stephen Hill

What do you guys think?

It's interesting what ESPN has on their website for our depth chart. 

Wide Receiver                        Wide Receiver 2 

-Kelvin Benjamin                      -Ted Ginn 

-Brenton Bersin                        -Jerricho Cotchery

-Jarrett Boykin                          -Stephen Hill

What do you guys think?

As you said, it's interesting because it reflects someone's thinking...or laziness.  It would appear that they don't know the team as well as we do---the personnel or the makeup of the team.

I don't think that anyone can say things with any surety until things begin to shake out at the rookie camp and/or OTAs at the very earliest. Until then it's just speculation based upon experience with said players, and stats.

Archived