• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers claim OT Jonathan Martin

jamos14

Doesn't really excite me, but for cheap depth with starting experience, could pay off. At the very least we should see some really good RT competition in camp, for a position that was already much improved late last season. Having a guy like Oher or possibly a high draft pick at LT probably equals Bell's play at worst, so...upgrade!

I don't mind this.

Too many people are saying he isn't good.

He doesn't have to be good, he has to be better than the worst tackle on the roster. If he is, great, you improved your depth. If he isn't, he has zero guaranteed money and you've lost nothing.

This. It's almost impossible for me to imagine him being worse than Chandler or Foucault.

Not a fan of this move. But wth. I know absolutely nothing about being a tackle or evaluating one. In Gettleman I must trust.

I've spent plenty of time watching tackles, and I'm not a huge fan of Martin.

But that said, i still like this move.  Again, low risk, high reward.

But that said, i still like this move. Again, low risk, high reward.

Well we can't lose out on a low risk high reward move. What if he ends up being a decent starter? We got him for cheap and helped to give Cam much better protection. Besides, I am not excited about the early round tackles in this draft. Hopefully we find a different position to draft in the first round at least. Personally hoping for a WR, secondary or DE.

Yet, you seem to feel qualified to judge a professional football player,one that was being severely harrased by a bunch of jerks,,led by a known headcase?

We all judge people from time to time, even though I agree that we shouldn't, and I agree that what was done to him was terrible and the people that did it are even worse. I feel bad for the guy. But the only thing that stops a bully is to stand up to them. And I'm not sure if he was able to do that. Or at least be able to talk to the right people to make it stop. I'm sure it's a really difficult position to be in.

I'm a little surprised that people are thinking its wrong just to question it. I'll try to be a little more mindful of what I post.

But that said, i still like this move. Again, low risk, high reward.

It's definitely a low risk high reward move. But Martin is going into his 4 year and he hasn't really stuck with a team that can maximize his potential. If it's one thing I know, that's Gettleman knows how to find talent. Trust me, if Gettleman didn't think we can use him and maximize his potential, I don't think we would've claimed him off waivers. I think Martin is going to stick here and potentially be our RT of the future. If not, he will definitely be serviceable depth. Edited by Bj-Monster23

And again, instead of laying out a plan, and explaining it in full detail, you just bitch.

You do what your are.

Laying out a plan?

I told it like it is, get your head out of your a** both of them are terrible tackles. If you can't except that might as well not even watch football.

Except old dogs learn new tricks in the NFL all the damn time.

Nobody thought Elway would ever get another chance at a Super Bowl... until Mike Shanahan became his coach.

Nobody thought Jim Plunkett would ever win a Super Bowl... until Dan Pastorini (the Raiders starter) got hurt in 1980 and an old, washed-up, back-up QB Plunkett had to step in and fill in for the rest of the year, won 9 of the Raiders remaining 11 games, earned a Wild Card berth in the playoffs, and won the Super Bowl.

And another point to your faulty old adage... neither Oher nor Martin are "old dogs". They are still young.

Lol comparing Oher and Martin to Elway and Plunkett, can you reach any harder?

Just cause Plunkett won 2 SB doesn't make him good, Dilfer has a SB why don't you use him as a measuring stick also.

Elway was always great, he dragged 3 terrible teams to the SB.

If Bell never improved what makes you think Oher and Martin can? do we have some big magical secret that other teams don't?