• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fear the Walking Dead - Season 1

Hotsauce

After my post I began to question myself if the phrase "NFL" was actually used and not some other variation.

Well, forget everything I posted. It was not used, what was said was: "This changes everything. This is a catastrophe of biblical proportions. We've just lost the best pocket passer in the entire league". I suppose you could associate the NFL with that comment but more than likely not.

I have failed you Huddle. Please don't vote me off the island.

and TWD is set in present day..Makes me wonder how fast this virus spreads

Well, let's think. Georgia heat means it'll be hot until late September, right? Rick woke up and found his family within a week. Then by the time they found the farm (about 2 weeks later, I'd imagine), it's still hot, but starting to cool for fall. Rick mentions getting through the winter. I assume Shane died end of October-ish. Then you have a time-lapse between that time and season 3, and it's early spring-ish at the start of season 3 (based on clothing and hair growth).

For it to make sense, they will have to have this virus spread within a week from FTWD's episode 2. Right? Like, total fall of civilization. Because Rick couldn't have been in the coma long after the hospital went down and his part of Georgia fell. No more than a week, and it was still summer through season 1.

EDIT: School is in...does it ever give an indication as to how far into the school year they are? If the date on that banner is accurate, then school had to have JUST started...

Now this is bothering me.

I think the root cause of zombie apocalypses is something that doesn't really need to be addressed generally.  While nerdy fans like us will love it, the mystery is an important part of things.  As we know from TWD, everyone has it.  Is it simply a bug like the flu that only kicks in once we're dead?  Was it a major environmental change?  Did cell phones mutate our brain DNA?  Ultimately it doesn't matter to the story of how individuals survive the collapsing of the world.  It's interesting, but not really super important to our enjoyment, unless we can get a sweet dose of hubris!  Now if it comes out that the anti-vaxxers caused it, I will laugh so freaking hard!

Man, I do love being caught up with these discussions!

Definitely agree with this.  Keeping it a mystery is important, mostly because the show(s) is not about what caused it but rather how people react to the situation that they are in.  Much like in The Leftovers, I do not want to know the answer because I guarantee you it would be stupid and it would take away from how good the rest of the show is.  If it turned out that it was some government experiment gone wrong or some other lame cliche then I might stop watching.

Also I got to thinking about the time period of when all this is going down. I mentioned earlier in the thread about the radio broadcast switcheroo comment

"This changes everything. This is a catastrophe of biblical proportions. We've just lost the best pocket passer in the NFL".

This may very well give us a clue and I simply over looked it before. I am going on the assumption this was a local broadcast. The last time LA had an NFL football team was in 1994 with the LA Rams. The starting QB at the time was Tommy Maddox with a QB career rating of 72.4. A career long pass of 39 yards with the Rams and finished the season 4-12. That was the final year for the LA Rams. That doesn't sound like the measureables of a "best pocket passer in the NFL". Unless, they were speaking of previous seasons which would put this outbreak before long before 1994.

If this is the case then when the hell did Rick Wake up?

It could easily be ESPN Radio or some other national broadcast so the QB could be from anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

So I continue to love the new show.  There were so many good lines in Episode 3.  Still the very slow burn!

One thing that sticks out to me is Travis' pacifism.  He's still living in the old, pre zombie world, while Madison is quickly moving into the now zombie world.  But that did have some perceived benefit (no spoilers there) as the episode wound down by preventing some awkward questions.

It was an improvement from the first two episodes, and I'm hoping to continue to see more development.  Currently, I'm wondering which of the kids dies first: Danny, Druggie, Daughter (going for the Ds and that I can't really remember their names, just their roles - that is a weakness).

Archived