• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

General Draft Prospect Talk

Mr. Scot

What are the chances we take him at 25?

Not sure to be honest. I think we really like him and Agholor if we go receiver in the first. Slim to no chance of either being in the board at 57. Agholor is too polished and NFL ready and Dorsett just has too good of physical traits and is dynamic enough to make an impact immediately. Dorsett mentioned that Proehl told him when they met/ worked out that he was what this offense was missing. Some people may look at either of them as a reach but they would likely both start at receiver from day 1 along with Kelvin. I'm not so sure that can be said about any of the tackles at 25. Gettleman said himself we needed to get faster and they fit the bill along with filling a massive hole at WR #2. Dorsett reminds me of Brandin Cooks with a ceiling likeAntonio Brown while Agholor is a mix between Maclin and Reggie Wayne. Both the types of receivers that compliment Kelvin really well.

Miami WR Philip Dorsett coming up soon on Path to the Draft. Carolina has expressed interest in the blazing receiver and remember how much we liked Cooks. Similar skill sets and big play ability. He would help make this offense dynamic.

For a quick comparison

Brandin Cooks                Philip Dorsett

Height -                  5'10                                 5'10

Arm Length -          30 3/4                              30 1/4

Weight -                 189 lbs                            185 lbs

Hands -                  9 5/8                                9 3/8

40 Yard Dash -       4.33                                 4.33

Bench Press -         16                                   13

Vert Jump -             36.0                                 37.0

Broad Jump -         120.0                               122.0

3 Cone Drill -           6.76                                6.70

20 Yard Shuttle -     3.81                                4.11

60 Yard Shuttle -     10.72                              N/A

For a quick comparison

Brandin Cooks                Philip Dorsett

Height -                  5'10                                 5'10

Arm Length -          30 3/4                              30 1/4

Weight -                 189 lbs                            185 lbs

Hands -                  9 5/8                                9 3/8

40 Yard Dash -       4.33                                 4.33

Bench Press -         16                                   13

Vert Jump -             36.0                                 37.0

Broad Jump -         120.0                               122.0

3 Cone Drill -           6.76                                6.70

20 Yard Shuttle -     3.81                                4.11

60 Yard Shuttle -     10.72                              N/A

WOW

Dorsett reminds me more of Crabtree or Ginn for some reason.

A couple things here...we already have Ginn and also have Corey Brown.

We need a true #2 and honestly, Im still not sold as KB being a true #1.

He's nothing like Ginn. Completely different receiver.

I hate how some looks at a 40 and that's it.

That is one thing I don't quite understand: nearly this entire board had a love affair with Cooks prior to last draft and now nobody is talking Dorsett as a legitimate option at 25. I think he is high on the radar right now and very likely he's available at 25.

Cooks' final season in college:

128 catches for 1730 yards and 16 TDs, he added another 217 yards and 2 TDs rushing

Dorsett last season:

36 catches for 871 yards and 10 TDs

Stats aren't everything and two totally different systems, but yeah, I can fully understand why people were a lot more excited about Cooks than Dorsett.

Cooks' final season in college:

128 catches for 1730 yards and 16 TDs, he added another 217 yards and 2 TDs rushing

Dorsett last season:

36 catches for 871 yards and 10 TDs

Stats aren't everything and two totally different systems, but yeah, I can fully understand why people were a lot more excited about Cooks than Dorsett.

Makes sense. Cooks has him crushed in the production department but like you said, stats aren't everything and don't tell the whole story. Dorsett had a true freshman playing QB while Cooks had a future NFL draft pick in Mannion I believe. Also, Miami's offense seemed to go through Duke Johnson more than anything. Not sure what the Oregon State offense looked like with Cooks but I'd have to think he was the focal point of that group his last year. I think Dorsett is pretty similar in ability and skill set even though he may not have been asked to be the jack of all trades receiver there. They primarily had him stretching the field but I've watched 6 games of his and he looks like he can do it all.

Cooks wins in the head-2-head, except one injury-prone. That was my main issue with cooks, could he take nfl hits? Well he ended the season on IR, but did play 11 games.

Agreed about Cooks coming into the draft.  I wasn't a huge fan of Cooks last draft year bc of his physicality and ability to get catches off against press/bigger, stronger NFL CBs. He got banged around a bit last year and that is my only hesitation with Dorsett. 

Ironically enough, I am a fan of Dorsett more than Cooks as a draft-eligible WR. IDK why, but watching cut-ups of both, I walked away more impressed with Dorsett. I think Dorsett can compete as a #2 rather than just a slot gimmicky WR like Ginn or Brown. I don't like the value at #25, but I do like him in the 2nd.  

Only thing, the Dorsett hype-train is full speed ahead right now. I've seen mocks with him going before our #25 selection.  

Archived