• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade up to 9th pick of second round - select Devin Funchess

Montsta

There's no way to know.

But, really? You're really sitting here talking about "draft experts" like Mel Kiper who NFL front office people openly mock and fantasy drafts?

Good lord...

If I'm an NFL GM, I have a group of paid, professional talent evaluators on my staff. These are men whose job is to do nothing but scout college players, and they have many years experience doing it.

I also have direct contact with the prospects themselves as well as their head coaches and position coaches if I wish. And of course, I've watched many of them at the Combine and the Senior Bowl (including practices).

By the time the draft rolls around, I'll have consulted heavily with both my professional talent evaluators and my team's coaching staff so that I know what they want and need. I'll also have done extensive scouting on opponents' strengths, weaknesses and tendencies (including in the Draft).

And all the people who did the work will be gathered together with me when the time comes to make the picks.

Given that as an NFL GM, I have all these people and resources at my disposal, you'll have to pardon me if I don't give a flying rip what Mel Kiper and Todd McShay think.

If you're an NFL GM you should be paying attention to *every* opinion you can get your hands on. How do people not understand that *other peoples opinions determine where players will be drafted*. If you have a guy rated as a #2 and everyone else says he's a #4...I'm not debating your assessment whatsoever, but if you take him in the 2nd, you're not a great drafter. Why not try to nab him in the 3rd and get a steal vs reach because he was your BPA.

Anyone who's done a Fantasy Draft knows the scenario. That one guy who is convinced Matt Ryan is going to be a stud this year...and drafts him at the top of the 2nd. When he probably could have gotten the same guy in the top of the 4th.

Look at that board again, and tell me how we couldn't have traded DOWN...giving up our 1st...gotten both Funchess and Shaq...and still kept our 3rd and 6th?

I like both guys and am a big DG fan. But he did not manage those picks well.

I'll be honest, after Humphries came off the board I was hoping we were trading down to the top of the 2nd. If we could have picked up a third we could use that pick to move up our original 2nd. At this point we would have had two picks at the beginning of the second, which could have possible landed the two players we ended up with.

Fortunately these type of scenarios tend to work pretty well from my couch, for the front office maybe not so much.

For all we know we tried to trade back and didn't find a taker.

Also anytime you start to trade back you run the risk of not getting the player you really want.

You're right, he has done something. He pushed the best LT in franchise history out the door after a pro bowl season and has tried to fill the hole with dollar store signings and Byron Bell, meanwhile not investing a single draft pick, late round project or otherwise.

Nothing in his history has shown me I should trust him to protect a franchise QB, even going back to the Giants.

Really? At this point your using rumor as a fact. Stop it! It makes you look petty and arrogant. That maybe what you think happened but unless Gross told you in hushed tones while you two chums had a beer what happened. Shut the F.U.K up

Really? At this point your using rumor as a fact. Stop it! It makes you look petty and arrogant. That maybe what you think happened but unless Gross told you in hushed tones while you two chums had a beer what happened. Shut the F.U.K up

It actually doesn't even qualify as rumor since Gross himself made statements in his retirement presser that debunked that whole notion.

If I'm an NFL GM, I have a group of paid, professional talent evaluators on my staff. These are men whose job is to do nothing but scout college players, and they have many years experience doing it.

I also have direct contact with the prospects themselves as well as their head coaches and position coaches if I wish. And of course, I've watched many of them at the Combine and the Senior Bowl (including practices).

By the time the draft rolls around, I'll have consulted heavily with both my professional talent evaluators and my team's coaching staff so that I know what they want and need. I'll also have done extensive scouting on opponents' strengths, weaknesses and tendencies (including in the Draft).

And all the people who did the work will be gathered together with me when the time comes to make the picks.

Given that as an NFL GM, I have all these people and resources at my disposal, you'll have to pardon me if I don't give a flying rip what Mel Kiper and Todd McShay think.

Bing....Well said Mr. Scot,you nailed it.

After seeing how the end of the 3rd round has played out, I'm more ok with the Funchess trade. Here are the players drafted at or after our pick at 89:

89. Sean Mannion, QB, Oregon St to Rams

90. Carl Davis, DT, Iowa to Ravens

91. Chaz Green, RT, Florida to Cowboys

92. Jeff Heuerman TE, Ohio St to Broncos

93. Henry Anderson, DE, Stanford to Colts

94. Ty Montgomery, WR, Stanford to Packers

95. Matt Jones, RB, Florida to Redskins

96. Xavier Cooper, DT, Washington St to Browns

Call me crazy, but if Funchess can become the next Moose, and if Gettleman really had a 1st round grade on him, then moving up to get him was worth more than any of those guys at the end of the 3rd.

Archived